Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-21-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
YarisKid

Drives: 2007 Bayou Metallic Yaris
Arrow Teh Power Upgrade

So I was one of those cheap asses when I went to the dealership, you know the type...they go in and buy a car with no power option but get a car alarm...yeah that was me, and i'm already getting tired of it..what's the use of pressing buttons AND unlocking your doors??

So i'm looking to upgrade to

- Power Locks
- Power Windows

Including but not limited to powering the hatch lock AND remote opening of the trunk and a DIY will be posted, however any help along the way as far as products to use would be greatly appreciated..

-Rob
YarisKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
just don't get the Autohaus power package from Toyota. complete BS.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisKid View Post
So I was one of those cheap asses when I went to the dealership, you know the type...they go in and buy a car with no power option but get a car alarm...yeah that was me, and i'm already getting tired of it..what's the use of pressing buttons AND unlocking your doors??

So i'm looking to upgrade to

- Power Locks
- Power Windows

Including but not limited to powering the hatch lock AND remote opening of the trunk and a DIY will be posted, however any help along the way as far as products to use would be greatly appreciated..
-Rob
I am in a similar boat. I bought the cheapest car they had. I don't care about power windows, but p/l with keyless entry was a must. I bought a universal cable type power lock kit with an additional actuator for the hatch and I bought a Ultra start car alarm. Both cost me $100 from ebay.

In your post you mention hatch and trunk, do you have a hatch or sedan?

The sedan is easy since all you need is a solenoid, the hatch is a bit more difficult since you need to use an actuator to lock and unlock. I have a how-to posted for the hatch if you do a quick search.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
rnd243

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I just finished putting power locks, keyless entry, and trunk release on a sedan. I got the kit from A1 Electric. It took me two days to get everything working and back together. I had several minor issues. It's tough to figure out where to put the actuator and cable clamp so that it will work after you put the door panel on. I also wound up with quite a jumble of wires and relays that I had to stuff behind the fuse box. There's room, but it's a mess. I didn't have any problem taking trim off and putting it on without breaking it. That was a nice surprise.
rnd243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
Dont worry about the mess of cables,electricity dosnt care what dirrection it needs to go,just as long as it gets there,but if you needed to redue,or fix,it would be a pain in the ass.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
rnd243

I was more worried about being embarrased when someone else looked under there to fix something.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
acrbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnd243 View Post
I was more worried about being embarrased when someone else looked under there to fix something.
HaHa! I am in the same situation. I did not cut the alarm wires to length or route them around the other wires in the fuse panel so there is a bit of a mess back there. I did however wrap the wires up for the first 10" after the alarm and lock solenoid boxes. That part looks like an oem harness, its just the area in front of the fuse panel that looks like crap.

If I had to do it again I could definitely do a much cleaner job.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #8
lunarroyale

Drives: Potential Yaris Buyer
What kit(s) from A1electric covers power locks, keyless entry & power trunk hatch. I want to make sure they are all activated by the same remote.
lunarroyale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:37 AM   #9
acrbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarroyale View Post
What kit(s) from A1electric covers power locks, keyless entry & power trunk hatch. I want to make sure they are all activated by the same remote.
It will differ depending on if you have a sedan or hatch. The sedan will require a pulling solenoid and the hatch just needs an additional actuator.

Sedan = 4 door kit with the solenoid.
Hatch = 2 door kit with an extra actuator or 4 door kit and you will have a spare.

You might as well get yourself an alarm instead of just keyless entry. I got a name brand alarm for $50 shipped off ebay.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:56 PM   #10
rnd243

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarroyale View Post
You can buy the keyless entry and power locks as a "kit", even though it's really just two separate kits. Then add a solenoid to that order for the trunk. The keyless has about twenty wires and is pre-programmed to hook up to all sorts of thinks.

p.s. If you are getting a power lock kit, make sure you get the one for cable style locks.