Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-16-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Exclamation Help Quick!

I just drove like 15miles to my friends house. Chilled for maybe 5 hours, got back to my car, gave it 1 minute of warm up time before leaving.

The car has 14100 miles. Not synthetic oil. The current oil has now 3100miles. Its 25degrees fahrenheit right now and windy.

I have an appointment at 9am for an oil change, but here is my problem.

As I was driving on the highway, not speeding, around 60mph, I have the vent bringing in fresh air so It doesnt cause fog to build in the car windows. I start smelling burning candle smell. I did not know what the heck it was.

When I arived at my cousins house to drop him off, I ask for him to smell the hood, and he tells me it smells like a burning candle.

Im going crazy, I check the oil, its dark brown, but still at the full marker and doesnt smell. It wasn't coming from the brakes or the HID's.

I got a bit closer, and it seemed to be coming from behind the engine or more specifically between the engine and the battery.

I really dont know what is wrong with the car, but can someone please shed some light as to some probable causes of this so they can look into it in the morning. thank you all!
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #2
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
kinda sulfur smell?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:48 PM   #3
Lafiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
kinda sulfur smell?
Not sure its really sulfur. If thats how a burning/burnt candle smells like then yes, but its a sadan.... I thought that only happened to the HB?

hmmm....??!)@(#&!#^@!()#(!*&
Old 01-17-2007, 02:06 AM   #4
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Wait until Morning then check the wires around the battery... You are going to want to look for black plastic with ridges on them... I had a 2000 Maxima, and I don't know how, but one of the wires fried and took that plastic piece with it... Something could have sparked!

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Burning candle smell could well be wire insulation somewhere. If you added any wires, check to see if one is touching something hot - like the engine or the header.

You mentioned HIDs - do you have a kit without a harness to the battery? That can be a problem over time because although the HID draws less power to run than your halogens, they draw a lot on startup - that's why they warm up so much faster than gym lighting and what not. That will tax your stock wiring and other electrical components over time.

Good luck!
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
Lafiro

Well, apparently it slipped there minds today to check for me for any plastic while changing my oil. Assholes....

Anyway, the smell went away, I THINK. Maybe it all burnt away? Because I highly doubt it was just the oil change.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:23 AM   #7
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
i would really like to help..but all of my candles smell like cookies....but might want to check the exhaust system for stray plastic bags...
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:16 AM   #8
bugnuts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback BBP
COOKIES?
bugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:55 PM   #9
Lafiro

hmmm lol

still smells like something is burning. I have like 7 inches of clearance between the floor and the car? I cant really stick my head under it, I'd have to lay on the floor, and its been raining/snowing/freeezing so its not so easy for me :(

Im going to try though in the morning, cause its an annoying smell :(
Old 01-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #10
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
If it's 25 degrees where you live, I hope you switched to synthetic oil. Your engine will love you for it.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:19 AM   #11
sam07yaris

Drives: 07 yaris sedan (silver) STICK
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
If it's 25 degrees where you live, I hope you switched to synthetic oil. Your engine will love you for it.

yup just did mine the other day woooohooo
Old 01-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #12
Lafiro

Nope, the guy told me not now, in 2 months.

So when I get another 1500-2000miles on my car, I will be changing to synthetic. Hmm I cant wait.... ( he told me not too cause it would cost me twice as much, and I would be wasting it since I have to bring in the car soon for a menu #3 service anyway) So he said do it then. Better then spending the money, using it 1500-2000miles only and spending it again.