Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
kustomrtr

Drives: 2k7 Yaris
Water dripping through the HVAC. Drain hose is NOT clogged.

Hi!

Recently I started noticing a moldy odor coming from my car so I took out the passenger side floor mat and it was very wet underneath.

I took the carpet off and noticed the HVAC was dripping (not a constant stream) water. I read like a million of threads in here and other forums and 99% of them were caused by clogged drain hoses.

Happy that I had found a solution, quickly went to my car again and disconnected the black drain hose connected to the HVAC into the firewall, and blew the hose and to my surprise it was not clogged and perfectly clean on the inside.

Then I inserted a metal wire through the HVAC hole and twisted it a bit. Nothing. It wasn't clogged either.

I turned the AC on for a few minutes and noticed the dripping was coming from the HVAC and, when I turned the car or the AC off, the water from the AC would drain normally like it should through the drain hose to the ground underneath the car.

So, to recap:

HVAC nor drain hose are clogged. It drains the water normally like it should. However the HVAC still drips water when the AC is on.

Any help will be really appreciated!

Current Mods:
aFe Cold Air Intake | Tanabe Medalion Touring (decatted) | TEIN S-Tech Lowering Springs
3000k HID fog lights | HID Custom Headlight Retrofit | Hellas Supertones | Ralco Short Shifter.

To-do list:
Lightened NST Pulleys | DC Sports Headers | TEIN Street Advance Coilovers
kustomrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
kustomrtr

Water dripping from the HVAC. Drain hose NOT clogged.

Hi,

My car's passenger side carpet is soaking wet. I took the carpet apart and noticed that when the AC is on, the HVAC will start dripping water (not a constant stream). I checked the drain hose and is not clogged at all. In fact, when I turn the car or the AC off. Water will come out underneath like it should. So I don't know what can be causing the water leak.

I already read a million of threads of people with similar issues but 99% of them were caused by a clogged drain hose, and mine is not.

I suspect it can be rain water that somehow got into the car, funny thing is that it only leaks when AC is on.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar? Any help will be really appreciated, this is driving me crazy, I spend the whole weekend in the car trying to locate the source of the problem but had no luck!

Current Mods:
aFe Cold Air Intake | Tanabe Medalion Touring (decatted) | TEIN S-Tech Lowering Springs
3000k HID fog lights | HID Custom Headlight Retrofit | Hellas Supertones | Ralco Short Shifter.

To-do list:
Old 09-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
kustomrtr

HVAC dripping water when AC on. Drain hose is NOT clogged.

Hi,

My car's passenger side carpet is soaking wet. I took the carpet apart and noticed that when the AC is on, the HVAC will start dripping water (not a constant stream). I checked the drain hose and is not clogged at all. In fact, when I turn the car or the AC off. Water will come out underneath the car like it should. So I don't know what can be causing the water leak.

I already read a million of threads of people with similar issues but 99% of them were caused by a clogged drain hose, and mine is not.

I suspect it can be rain water that somehow got into the car, funny thing is that it only leaks when AC is on.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar? Any help will be really appreciated, this is driving me crazy, I spent the whole weekend in the car trying to locate the source of the problem but had no luck!

Ps: almost forgot. It seems that when I'm driving and turn left, the drip intensifies. I, however do not hear a sloshing sound that everyone seems to be hearing.

Current Mods:

To-do list:
Old 09-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You may have a dam within the air box that is causing the condensate to pool, but it isn't blocking the hose, so once condensate flows over the dam it can exit. I would take the fan housing off so you can take a look into the bottom of the air box.