Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
d3310n

Drives: black titty
exhaust options?

lets face it, $350 for an axle back hurts the wallet.what are my best budget options?are there any decent universal mufflers out there that are good and cheap? what would a custom exhaust at a shop cost? any ideas?
d3310n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
d3310n

also why would i pay 300 for an axle back when i can get a muffler for 50? isnt an axle back just a muffler with the pipe on it anyway?
Old 11-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
You can likely get a custom exhaust built after the resonator (where the piping shrinks to 1.75") in 2-2.25" for less than $300
Old 11-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
d3310n

i go to school as a mechanic, so i could weld and install everything myself, what would i do then? what wouls i get? i dont know much about exhaust yet
Old 11-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
xb visitor

Drives: scion xb
You have basically the same motor, If your looking for a performance gain..you will not see anything, and if you are increasing the tubing dia, you will more than likely lose some low end acceleration, which you cant afford to do on a 100 h.p engine. I have a nice brand name cat back, and this is the case with mine...it did lose a little low end grunt..and doesn't offer anything anywhere else, it sounds okay. So if your intent on adding some sound..and buy a muffler keep the stock Dia tubing and any decent muffler should do you just fine. FYI I wouldn't bother on a stainless if you are on a buget..just add a nice lil chrome tip and youll be just fine, just as fast with a nice added cosmetic touch with the tip

Its just for noise and the impression of speed...period
Every single car I have even had , "except supercharged or turbos" when going to a free flow ,large dia exhaust has lost some low end grunt. keep the stock Dia tubing whenever possible, especially on such a anemic lil engine such as ours. these motors when "stock" don't have the ability to ingest enough air and expel enough to produce much if any gain

Obviouslly forced induction rules don't apply here as the air intake ..is huge thus the exhaust can increase

You've just been to school on aftermarket exhausts for applications like ours...and it didn't cost you anything
xb visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
d3310n

thanks, very informative, where do i find the "nice" mufflers? is the 50$ ebay dc sports one or the similarly priced twin loop muffler "good"? also what effect does pipe diameter have on sound? i just want deep and clean, no rasp or farts. something similar to the medalion touring. i do also plan a baby turbo sometime in the future, no intercooler or anything, just a tiny amount of boost lol. not trying to dump a bunch of money into a garbage motor that will just blow up once it sees any power anyway.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I have a couple used axle-backs in the shop. No reason to spend $300+

Megan $120 shipped
TRD (USA version) $160 shipped
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #8
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
i paid under 350 for a headerback straight pipe 2.25" all the way back with a muffler and customer tip

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
xb visitor

Drives: scion xb
If the forum member can get you a cat back, shipped for $120 bucks and its a bolt on..IMO just do it. You probably wont find a shop to weld one up for that price, as well as a HUGE time saver ,probably 1/2 hr to install and it will be a much cleaner install than doing a weld on your self

Time is money! and in this case a better install as well.
xb visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ Thanks. Axle-back is bolt on, cat-back would have to be welded, as there is no flange after the cats on the Yaris.

The exhausts we sell are all axle-back and bolt on -- two bolts and two hangers exactly.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
probably the easiest performance mod install ever ^^^

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
d3310n

mmm i think i like that trd.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ Nice.

Especially when you compare it to the new JDM one (yikes on the price)
http://shop.microimageonline.com/Toy...S153-52001.htm
Old 11-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #14
catliektheif

Drives: 2010 5 Door
jdm or not, i just couldnt justify getting rid of one pumpkin and getting a shinier pumpkin :\ is it more free flowing than the stock one??
Old 11-19-2013, 02:10 AM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ Just about anything is.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #16
Iosous

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Im looking for exhaust options too. I recently ordered a DC header and now Im looking for a exhaust option. Should I go just for a muffler or get an axle back?
Cali I see you have some used axle backs? Can I get some pictures if you still have them. If they are in great conditions I would mind buying one, the price is good and some mufflers cost about that. If you don't have them please tell me which muffler should I get.
Iosous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
larryn2o

Drives: 08 yaris
http://youtu.be/px6YOMMcoJg
no muffler just a cheap twin tip with small glasspack inserts
http://youtu.be/fPtaWvaIkU0
a $15 cherry bomb turbo muffler

both are much deeper under load , the phone doesn't pick up sound well .
larryn2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #18
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn2o View Post
http://youtu.be/px6YOMMcoJg
no muffler just a cheap twin tip with small glasspack inserts
http://youtu.be/fPtaWvaIkU0
a $15 cherry bomb turbo muffler

both are much deeper under load , the phone doesn't pick up sound well .
question...sounds cool with no muffler at all in first vid...how loud does she get tho...is it derivable ...not to loud.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote