Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
bung206

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Smile External temp. Display & Trip Computer

Hi Everyone,

I've recently purchased a pre-used 2006 3 Door Lift-Back Toyota Yaris w/ 4 speed automatic transmission.

If you look really closely at the dash, you can see there are provisions in it for displaying the external temperature, and also a trip computer.

I know that with certain vehicles, you can simply use the manufacturer diagnostics to enable features to get it to work, while getting the option from factory may have been prohibitively expensive.

Can someone tell me if this is the case for this car? Can I acquire a Toyota TIS Techstream cable and software and enable the temp display/trip computer?

I searched this but only came across one thread from 2006 and that doesn't really answer my question.
bung206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bung206 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've recently purchased a pre-used 2006 3 Door Lift-Back Toyota Yaris w/ 4 speed automatic transmission.

If you look really closely at the dash, you can see there are provisions in it for displaying the external temperature, and also a trip computer.

I know that with certain vehicles, you can simply use the manufacturer diagnostics to enable features to get it to work, while getting the option from factory may have been prohibitively expensive.

Can someone tell me if this is the case for this car? Can I acquire a Toyota TIS Techstream cable and software and enable the temp display/trip computer?

I searched this but only came across one thread from 2006 and that doesn't really answer my question.

No - Unfortunately with the Yaris different instrument clusters have different firmware (which techstream can not change), so even though the hardware is there for a feature you can not enable the feature. Via Techstream the only adjustments that can be made for the cluster are related to the warning chimes for the seatbelts, etc.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
bung206

Hi CTScott, thanks for the info.

So the only solution is to buy a new gauge cluster from one that had the trip computer/temp display from factory?

I have inspected the real-time data stream through the OBD2 port with a generic scanner, and there is no data coming from the ECU which shows the fuel usage or external temperature.

Do you know what is involved in getting it to work?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Other featured clusters can be swapped in and most, if not all of the features will work. I have experimented with clusters from Japan (digital and analog), Australia (digital), and Europe (digital) with US market Yaris. Outside temp on a Japanese cluster for example, works, but requires extra wiring to connect the ambient temperature sensor (which normally is only connected to the AC ECU) to it. MPG on the JDM cluster works, as the cluster actually requests the extra data it needs from the ECM.

The only issues have been with clusters that were off cars that had ABS, used on cars that do not. Some of the ABS equipped clusters get the speed data from the ABS wheel speed sensors, rather than from the transmission's speed sensor.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
bung206

What about the odometer milage? If you change it to one that has lower miles travelled will it still stay the same? Or is the miles travelled data stored elsewhere also, and updated into the instrument cluster upon first power on?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bung206 View Post
What about the odometer milage? If you change it to one that has lower miles travelled will it still stay the same? Or is the miles travelled data stored elsewhere also, and updated into the instrument cluster upon first power on?
The mileage is stored only in the cluster, so when you swap it the mileage will be wrong. Toyota Dealers can not change the odometer (and here in the states if you replace the cluster with one with different mileage a sticker is placed on the car near the VIN tag and the fact that the mileage is different than what reads has to be reported to the motor vehicle department). The mileage is reprogrammable with some special tools and knowledge of the checksumming of the data. I actually figured out how to do so and can reprogram the cluster mileage.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Does the JDM cluster display degrees C?, that would be inconvenient for those of us who are math-challenged.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Does the JDM cluster display degrees C?, that would be inconvenient for those of us who are math-challenged.
Yes. Degrees C and Kmh only. My conversion module works with it though to make the speedometer read in MPH and the odometer increment in Miles.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
jasonk1123

Drives: Toyota Yaris 5 door hatch
Hi there

Sorry to open thread up again

I have a digital cluster, it has the spaces in the clusters for the mpg(here would be km/l) what would i have to do to get it work?
jasonk1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonk1123 View Post
Hi there

Sorry to open thread up again

I have a digital cluster, it has the spaces in the clusters for the mpg(here would be km/l) what would i have to do to get it work?
It turns out that the all digital clusters have the space to display it, but in many areas it is not implemented. If you have one where it is not, you can't enable it without switching to one that has it enabled.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #11
jasonk1123

Drives: Toyota Yaris 5 door hatch
ah, thanks very much(time to look for a new cluster)
And a bluetooth OBD2 adapter wont work?
jasonk1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
Bung206,

Hello to a fellow New Zealander. I can answer all of your meter questions because I have been playing around with a few meters.

I have a JDM Vitz that comes with the analog meters. I've been trying to get a digital meter into it because the viewing angles are much better. So far I've bought a UK and AUS digital meter.

UK meter shows temperature and fuel consumption. My car has a temp sensor but its not wired to the meter so I have to manually wire it. Main problem with the UK meter is that I get a transmission error and beeping continuously even when the car is off. So at the moment I am trying to fix this

I recently bought an AUS meter (it will be like the one you have). It works fine in my car BUT it doesnt show CEL and OIL light. Im in the process of investigating this. It has the same display components such as the UK meter but it doesn't show fuel consumption and temperature. I am pretty sure this is because the circuitry does not have this feature but to save costs they used the same display components as the UK one. Today I will be trying to use Techstream to see if it can be turned on, but I doubt it.

The UK meter is the most high spec meter but unfortunately the transmission error makes it rather unusable. I managed to reprogram it to display fuel consumption in km/l. It can display speed in mph or kmh but the odometer is in miles and cannot be changed. I have ordered another UK meter because I think the UK meter I have now is faulty.

I will post my findings on the forums once I finish the investigation

Where abouts in NZ are you based Bung206 ?
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #13
japle

Drives: Vitz S 2007 LB
anyone tried to light up the shifters position? scott, i tried a lot of ways to light it up, but none seem to work. by the way scott, which country did you get this digital cluster from?
japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by japle View Post
anyone tried to light up the shifters position? scott, i tried a lot of ways to light it up, but none seem to work. by the way scott, which country did you get this digital cluster from?
That cluster came from Japan. I am working on trying to get a JDM ECM to check the messaging differences between the ECM and cluster.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:37 AM   #15
JudgeM

Red face

Just an update guys with my meter swapping.

I bought another UK meter, turns out the fault UK meter I bought before was one from an MMT model Yaris. Obviously my car bening manual meant the cluster was freaking out as it was not receiving MMT signals. Thats why it just kept on beeping. The new meter I got I made sure was from a fully manual model.

I just installed it last night and whoopee it works. I also managed to get the CEL and oil light going. (its all in the wiring, JDM wiring on the 16pin connector is totally different to EU and US)

The next task I have to do is get the ambient temp sensor going. I mentioned this in my other post and CTscott advised me on where I can find the wirring.

So in theory all I have to do is take the wire from the AC ECU and hook it up to the missing part of the meter connection ?

Can someone please confirm in the attached picture that I have found the correct connector which contains the ambient temp sensor wire on the AC ECU ?
(sorry not great picture. it was an awkward position to reach in the footwell)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ac ecu connector.jpg (217.1 KB, 265 views)
Old 03-18-2014, 06:23 AM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

That is the correct connector and you do simply tap the ambient temp sensor wire and bring it up to the cluster.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #17
JudgeM

Quote:
That is the correct connector and you do simply tap the ambient temp sensor wire and bring it up to the cluster.
I tried this tonight and it didn't work. Could you clarify which wire needs to go up to the cluster. If I understood correctly from the wiring diagram its the white wire. Is it just one wire ? or more than one ?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:39 AM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeM View Post
I tried this tonight and it didn't work. Could you clarify which wire needs to go up to the cluster. If I understood correctly from the wiring diagram its the white wire. Is it just one wire ? or more than one ?
I don't remember if we ever verified that your car actually has the sensor behind the bumper?

The wire is white and should be between a blue and a grey wire. And, it is just that one wire that goes up to the cluster.