Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Gas Is Cheap: What Will Happen To Economy Cars?

Do you think people will start buying gas guzzlers again or have they learned their lesson (the price of gas always goes up) and will they stick with economy cars?
Old 01-24-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
People have very short term memories and most Americans prefer big cars, so I predict that economy car sales drop until gas prices skyrocket again.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
bronsin

Hmmm that upward swing would seem to be limited. If oil goes above ~$70 a barrel the frackers go back to fracking.

In a way Im surprised Obama and the environmentalists aren't trying to tax gas up to $4 a gallon. After all cheap gas leads to more driving, more pollution, and faster depletion of a valuable resource.

I guess it will take a while before their lights go on...
Old 01-25-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post

I guess it will take a while before their lights go on...
Hopefully, their light are on. Some of the money people are saving at the pump is going into extra purchases, which is good for the economy. Even though they should, many folks aren't putting that extra money in their savings.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:17 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
In a way Im surprised Obama and the environmentalists aren't trying to tax gas up to $4 a gallon.
I doubt this is the case, but perhaps they sense their hypocrisy is getting harder to hide and they think there might be a backlash. During a speech in South Africa in 2013, Obama said "the planet will boil over" if everyone has access to air conditioning, automobiles, and big houses. If he truly believes this and cares about that belief...then why did he buy a 6,000+ square foot air conditioned house in Chicago? (..and just because he's the president, doesn't mean that he has to keep the house). Ditto for radical environmentalist billionaire Tom Steyer...he may take a train instead of a private jet, but he still has multiple homes...and a good chuck of his money was made on coal investments...something he didn't state until someone 'called him on it'. On the face of it, there is nothing wrong with spending money you've made on such purchases....It is just the political and policy beliefs they hold that make such ownership hypocritical. And no, buying carbon offsets (if they were to do that) doesn't make their stances any less hypocritical.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I already have friends that are talking about trading in for bigger gas guzzling machines. Hell, have a lot that are already scoping out snowmobiles, UTVs, dirtbikes, and motorcycles because of the steep dip in prices.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #7
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I'm always amazed about how shortsighted Americans can be. (Perhaps this is true in other parts of the world?) If you look at car sales, you can see very quick changes in consumer-buying behaviors once gas prices drop or go up for a short period of time.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:33 PM   #8
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
I hope it isn't just in the states that people have such a huge case of ADD. I am a strong believer in climate change induced my humans
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
Ranger SVO

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
People have very short term memories and most Americans prefer big cars, so I predict that economy car sales drop until gas prices skyrocket again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
I'm always amazed about how shortsighted Americans can be. (Perhaps this is true in other parts of the world?) If you look at car sales, you can see very quick changes in consumer-buying behaviors once gas prices drop or go up for a short period of time.
I think you are right. People are very short sighted and typically not smart enough to realize that the prices will go up again.

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #10
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_ View Post
I hope it isn't just in the states that people have such a huge case of ADD. I am a strong believer in climate change induced my humans
Hmm do you also "believe" in Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy, and The Easter Bunny?

Heres what I think. The earth is getting warmer but no one can say why. Theres nothing linking it to human activity. (it may be so...)

If GW IS in fact caused by humans nothing is going to stop it. The third world including China and India have absolutely no intention of reducing green house gasses. Europe and the US could go to 0 emissions tomorrow (unlikely) and GW would still be driven by the third world.

What we need to do is plan for when the oceans rise however many feet they are going to rise, however many category 100 hurricanes there are going to be a year, and the dessertification of most of the world.

Unfortunately no one can say what those numbers will be either. And NOTHING will be done about it in any case...
Old 01-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Hmm do you also "believe" in Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy, and The Easter Bunny?

Heres what I think. The earth is getting warmer but no one can say why. Theres nothing linking it to human activity. (it may be so...)

If GW IS in fact caused by humans nothing is going to stop it. The third world including China and India have absolutely no intention of reducing green house gasses. Europe and the US could go to 0 emissions tomorrow (unlikely) and GW would still be driven by the third world.

What we need to do is plan for when the oceans rise however many feet they are going to rise, however many category 100 hurricanes there are going to be a year, and the dessertification of most of the world.

Unfortunately no one can say what those numbers will be either. And NOTHING will be done about it in any case...

I don't agree with your paragraph #4. However, I AM IN 100% AGREEMENT WITH YOU re Paragraphs #1, #2, #3, and #5.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:35 PM   #12
bronsin

[QUOTE=nookandcrannycar;754764]

I don't agree with your paragraph #4. QUOTE]

If the earth keeps getting warmer OR GW by man is real something like those things will happen. Boston, NY, Philly (and all South Jersey), Baltimore, Washington, Norfolk, and a whole lot of places between there and Jacksonville FL are going to become uninhabitable long before they join Atlantis at the bottom of the ocean.

I don't know if GW is real or not. It doesn't have to be either. The earth might be warming all by itself and the same bad things happen.

Ive read in Siberia the indoor temperature of the average house in winter is 20 degrees F and the people wear all their clothes to bed at might. Global Warming....? Siberians want to know what can they do to make it happen!

What we CAN do is decide ahead of time what to do IF the oceans rise.

But no, I don't think we're capable of that either.

Most likely we'll start things off by blaming each other for what happens and killing billions of us until the population is 1/5 of what it is today.

You rock, humanity!
Old 02-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I don't agree with your paragraph #4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin
What we CAN do is decide ahead of time what to do IF the oceans rise.
Same subject as paragraph #4, but this I agree with .

Quote:
But no, I don't think we're capable of that either.
Sadly, I agree.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #14
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Where I live the majority drive huge pickup trucks and SUVs. Even when gas was over 4 bucks a gallon a few years ago they drove these. Not only do they drive these things but they drive them like they stole them. Some even drive big diesel pickups with the mods that allow them to "roll coal" on us Yaris and Prius drivers as well as others they feel needs this treatment. Diesel is around 4 bucks a gallon right now. The funny thing is most of these drivers don't look like they have two nickels to rub together yet they drive these expensive vehicles and can "afford" the gas and maintenance.
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #15
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
Were already seeing upticks in sales of larger vehicles. If fuel prices remain this low we might see the plug pulled on slow selling small cars but only when their planned cycle in the US is up. Mazda2 might be the first casualty: it's one of the older current designs on the market and supposedly sold only 11 units across the US for the entire month of February.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flammable View Post
Not only do they drive these things but they drive them like they stole them.
I've spent a fair amount of time in Florida, all over the state, and I absolutely agree with this. Florida is also the only state, IMO, that is worse than Texas when it comes to tailgating (on the road tailgating, not football tailgating ).
Old 03-09-2015, 09:22 PM   #17
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I've spent a fair amount of time in Florida, all over the state, and I absolutely agree with this. Florida is also the only state, IMO, that is worse than Texas when it comes to tailgating (on the road tailgating, not football tailgating ).
Oh man you are so right. Everyone tailgates around here, well I would say at least 80-90% anyway. And the funny thing is it matters not how slow or fast you go, you still have some scum bum on your butt and I mean ON IT so close you don't see their grill. Another thing these numb nutz love to do is pass you like you are hitched only to cut in front of you and slam on the brakes to make a turn, usually left. Florida has the worse drivers anywhere I think. To make matters worse the cops will only pull people if they have a speed trap set up or a check point. Otherwise they don't bother. It didn't used to be that way say 40 years ago, but sadly it is now.
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:00 AM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flammable View Post
And the funny thing is it matters not how slow or fast you go, you still have some scum bum on your butt
IMO, this is one of the reasons Florida is worse than Texas. From what I've seen in Texas, usually if a driver goes at least 10MPH over the limit in one of the two right lanes on the freeway, they won't get tailgated, rather than the truth (as I've witnessed it) as you describe in Florida

Quote:
Another thing these numb nutz love to do is pass you like you are hitched only to cut in front of you and slam on the brakes to make a turn, usually left.
. Same thing in Texas, except in my experience, the turn is usually right rather than left . Often people will do this when their right turn is a block or less than a block away . It is as if the only reason they do it is to show you that they think you weren't going fast enough . What a waste of gas and brake pad or shoe surface! Somewhere among my YW posts I describe two different situations where I avoided any accident at all...in either case an accident would likely have been fatal. One was on I-75 South (South of Bradenton, but before Naples), and the other was on Highway 17 that sort of parallels I-75 and goes between 'just south of I-4' and Fort Myers.

Quote:
To make matters worse the cops will only pull people if they have a speed trap set up or a check point. Otherwise they don't bother. It didn't used to be that way say 40 years ago, but sadly it is now.
I imagine this must be the case, or else there wouldn't be so many drivers who feel free to do what they do.