Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #73
krusty

Drives: 2010 Yaris ce
Hersey just a little FYI any good flat rate mechanic is definitely looking for any type of oil leak while doing just an oil change. Even more so if the car he/she is working on has warranty left that's how they make money its not just about being quick it about being a complete Technician.
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #74
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
100% ? What's the percentage ? Has there been a poll ?
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:53 PM   #75
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
100% ? What's the percentage ? Has there been a poll ?
lol, i find it funny how the guy with the worst presented data and not really explored data is looking for widly explored and expertly presented data :p lol

in the morning i will look better at mine and thurs i have a scheduled check up from the dealer i will have them look at it also, so once and for all i can stop worrying about mine for now.

also for all the haters, hershey from the pics u showed of ur engine from below, to me it looked like a very serious leak as that was very fresh and a high amount of oil.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #76
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
It seems like Hershey is sincere with his mission and has some proof to back it, but for some reason his methods create a lot of friction here and at the dealerships he visits, from what I've viewed.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #77
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
also for all the haters, hershey from the pics u showed of ur engine from below, to me it looked like a very serious leak as that was very fresh and a high amount of oil.
Thats what I tried to find out, was there a high loss of oil? Did he put a piece of cardboard under the engine to get an idea of exactly how much was leaking? I have worked as a car mechanic. Those pictures do not indicate a serious loss of oil. I also asked was there a loss of compression? He wont answer a few simple questions. Im not a hater. Im concerned he is upsetting a lot of people who dont know any better.

:b s:

It is what it is.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #78
yaris2010RS

bronsin, personally i think its kinda fishy too, but at the same time people dont want to hear there is something wrong with the thing they love. i know people that will defend american cars to the end, saying changing all these parts and reparing all these things is jsut part of car ownership. i believe he had a head gasket leak but i dont think its as wide spread as he may hope for. personally i checked my car and i found nothing, it was dirtyer on that side of the engine but no oil. will i ask toyota to look at it? yes, am i concerned? not at all.

the drips on the bottom of the engine did look like a fairly high flow leak. could that have been there from something else? hell yeah but its for the person reading it to take it seriously or not
Old 11-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #79
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
i checked my car and i found nothing, it was dirtyer on that side of the engine but no oil.
That's how mine was...a little bit of caked grime, but nothing that even resembles fresh looking oil so far, and I have over 30k miles on the car.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #80
Hershey

We've done all there is to do . We will be getting the 2010 the same repair soon and won't be reporting back on that since it's all too fishy . I've been working with cars for over 30 years , guess my findings and posts are of no significance . No winning .
Old 11-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #81
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
At least it's an easy check. Both my 07 and 09 were fine.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #82
Hershey

Good to see your cars are fine . . Wish we could say the same .
Old 01-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #83
TXyaris

Drives: Currently stock '09 Sedan.
Quote:
at TOYOTA dealer lot . Both had less than 5,000 miles . They sold another used 2010 with low mileage and was being picked up by the new owners as we looked at these . Hopefully that didn't have the oil leak as those 2010s , our 2 YARIS ( 2008 sedan and 2010 3 door ) , and a friends 2010 3 door .
yuh, when i bought my '09 sedan the carfax said the dealership replaced the head gasket and i was wondering why... i guess now i know
TXyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #84
TXyaris

Drives: Currently stock '09 Sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
An oil leak that doesnt change the oil level is not a problem.
uhhh. ur wrong
TXyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #85
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
That's how mine was...a little bit of caked grime, but nothing that even resembles fresh looking oil so far, and I have over 30k miles on the car.
This is how our friends 2010 3 door YARIS was when I discovered it at 48,000+ miles . I then cleaned it very thoroughly with window cleaner and paper towels . Went back and found fresh oil . All this has been explained in previous posts . I went back about a month ago and his car had plenty of fresh oil again . He does not want anyone tearing his engine apart . He bought an extended warranty good until 125,000 miles . We've decided not to get the head gasket on our 2010 replaced . We'll monitor his car and see if he ever has to get his head gasket done . There is over 60,000 miles on his and should be over 100,000 in another year or less . Our 2010 still leaks fresh oil from the no.1 cylinder of the head gasket . You either believe it or not . It's no .
Old 01-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #86
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXyaris View Post
yuh, when i bought my '09 sedan the carfax said the dealership replaced the head gasket and i was wondering why... i guess now i know
That's stinks . Not good to know that our 2008 sedan would show the head cylinder gasket repair if ever traded in . Would most likely hurt the trade in value or private sale . TOYOTA gave us a free 8 year /125,000 extended warranty for the 2008 that is transferable to a private buyer , not via a dealership . Thus the warranty wouldn't likely help to get rid of it with the head gasket issue hanging over its roof . We'll most likely not trade in the 2010 for another car because we don't want to pass on this issue onto another buyer who wouldn't be aware of the oil leak .

Last edited by Hershey; 01-09-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #87
slow.yaris
Banned

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
Quote:
This is how our friends 2010 3 door YARIS was when I discovered it at 48,000+ miles .

There is over 60,000 miles on his and should be over 100,000 in another year or less.
wow a head gasket leak that doesn't get ANY worse over 12,000 miles? amazing

all the people running turbos and superchargers on stock gasket have no leaks? amazing

searching the forums that thousands of yaris owners have posted on, no yaris except ones you have touched have had a gasket leak? amazing

(oh TXyaris, my bad, I'm sure some random person just signed in to substantiate your claim, only to never be seen on the forum again.. rofl)

Somehow I think your claims would be slightly more believable if you weren't pimping the new hyundai on a yaris forum at the same time you're talking about these leaks.

By the way did they teach you to spray windex and jam q-tips in the gasket at mechanics school?

EDIT: did toyota switch to a new head gasket for the yaris?? Don't you think if all these cars on lots you are checking all have leaks, SOMEONE would have noticed this is an issue over the decade+ the engine has been around???
slow.yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #88
yaris2010RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow.yaris View Post
wow a head gasket leak that doesn't get ANY worse over 12,000 miles? amazing

all the people running turbos and superchargers on stock gasket have no leaks? amazing

searching the forums that thousands of yaris owners have posted on, no yaris except ones you have touched have had a gasket leak? amazing

(oh TXyaris, my bad, I'm sure some random person just signed in to substantiate your claim, only to never be seen on the forum again.. rofl)

Somehow I think your claims would be slightly more believable if you weren't pimping the new hyundai on a yaris forum at the same time you're talking about these leaks.

By the way did they teach you to spray windex and jam q-tips in the gasket at mechanics school?

EDIT: did toyota switch to a new head gasket for the yaris?? Don't you think if all these cars on lots you are checking all have leaks, SOMEONE would have noticed this is an issue over the decade+ the engine has been around???
i love u...... lol, that could not have been said any better
Old 01-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #89
Happy Little Pony

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Since when does a head gasket replacement lower the resale value of a car?

A busted head gasket is not a good thing, but it's not the end of the world. I've replaced a head gasket on one car and completely replaced a cracked head on another. The work is a great way to blow an entire weekend, but once the problem is fixed, it isn't a problem anymore.
Happy Little Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #90
Hershey

Whatever .