Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2007, 04:06 AM   #1
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Talking So we just came back from TRD Thailand...

Firstly, you guys are gonna scream, but unfortunately my stupid phone ran out of battery, so I do not have any pictures I promise I will take some whenever I go there next!

But anyway, the main order of the day was to discuss with them the different possibilities for increasing the number of ponies going through the wheels.

The two main options they deal with are adding a turbo, and engine swaps.

TRD's Turbo solution was introduced on the limited edition Vios Turbo a few years back, and boosts the 1NZ-FE to about 140hp safely. I told the engineers there about ZPI's kit, but they do not recommend doing such power that without beefing up the internals first. They also quote about 180,000Baht for the complete install, which is about $5000 at current exchange rates. Not exactly good value for money.

Engine swap-wise, as we know the 2ZZ (190hp high-revving engine) is a pretty easy fit, they can do it including the 6-speed gearbox for about 150,000Baht ($4000). They haven't done many, there should be 3 or 4 on the road here with this engine. The car would also need to be at their workshop for about a month.

Just for fun, we asked the main engineer if they could do a 3S-GTE (250ish horsepower, easily tweakable to a lot more) swap along with 4WD conversion. And he said it's quite possible , using the Japanese Vitz's 4WD system. The engine would be a bloody tight fit, they'd have to almost remove the firewall, push the radiator as far forward as possible, but it could potentially fit. And he estimated no more than 300,000 baht ($8500) for the whole job. But, it would take them about 5 months to get everything done, as they have never attempted such a crazy thing on a Yaris before.

Anyway, they'll get back to us in about 2 weeks about feasibility of the 3S swap, they need to do a lot of research first! It's a crazy amount of money, I know, but they can arrange some basic financing terms to help. Plus, it would be one hell of a challenge for them, and definitely gonna end up with my car in several magazines

Apart from that, there were some interesting things to see at the shop... The arto wide-bodied Yaris was there, as well as two Vios, one with a 2ZZ, one with a 3S-GE (non turbo), you can really see the difference in size of the engine, the 3S is tight!

Also a one-make race Yaris without an engine (it had blown up...)

We also asked about joining the Yaris one-make races, but the guy recommended starting off with the new Vios (which most of you guys know as the Yaris Sedan) races, as the hatch is in a higher class They sell a pre-modded, ready to race version of the car at the same price as the base model. So, seeing as I unfortunately don't have enough money trees in the back yard, I have to choose... Join the one-make races, or create the absolutely craziest most powerful Yaris in the world? It could kick ass at drag races... Decisions decisions...

Oh and good news for sedan owners, they also showed us a prototype bodykit for the car, with integrated dual exhausts in the rear bumper, carbon fiber parts, etc. Looks good, and the price should be reasonable.

Anyway, that was a very most informative and educational day

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:43 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
wow, a lot of info there. hope you keep us informed.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:56 AM   #3
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Are you really going to put the 3S-GTE in your car? That would be completely sick! (in a good way)

While the car is in the shop you should have your spine reinforced with titanium to prevent whiplash from quick starts.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Pimpin ain't easy Thomas, pimpin ain't easy
Black Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
Mister Kill
French user...

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Send a message via MSN to Mister Kill
Good !
A lot of information !!

But ; for the turbo kit ; you can have 140hp to 170hp
170hp is the max the engine can supporte ; but ; how many time...
Mister Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Good to know... I just want a Turbo with 150hp... That would do me just fine!

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin View Post
Are you really going to put the 3S-GTE in your car? That would be completely sick! (in a good way)

While the car is in the shop you should have your spine reinforced with titanium to prevent whiplash from quick starts.
Well I have not decided yet, and they haven't quite worked out if it's feasible or not, but if it is, I guess I will have no choice but to uphold my Yaris pimpage and go for it. There goes the end of discussion about lack of power... especially as there are plenty of upgradable parts for this engine, 400+HP is not uncommon. Of course, is a 400HP Yaris something that can actually be considered driveable? We'll see... we'll see...

Titanium spine, interesting idea

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
No pics.. You suck so bad!! GO BACK, GO BACK!!
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
Dragonacc

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 70 Mach 1, 84 5.0
Man, I wish someone in the US would do a 2zz swap with six speed for $4000. That's a worthwhile performance increase of the money IMO.
Dragonacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #10
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Okay - I will.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:41 PM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I wonder if us statesiders can finance Toyota engines like that. Would be very interesting to look into once she is paid off.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:00 PM   #12
Vic-2NZFE

Drives: Yaris 2NZFE
Good information to keep handy.

Thanks

It's a Vitz!
Vic-2NZFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #13
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
If you did most of the work yourself you could easily do the 2zz swap for 4000. What I would like to see more then the AWD Yaris is to take the AWD drive train and drop the front differential and just make it RWD. Gut it, CF fenders, hood, trunk lid...you would have one fast little ride.
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #14
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
pfft..
Etimago

when you gonna learn mon ami..

Old 03-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #15
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Firstly, you guys are gonna scream,
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

Go for it dude!
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #16
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Too lazy to look for it...

What's the weight dif between a Yar ans a Celica GTS?

What times does a stock celica?? 1/4 mile , 0-60mph???
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
Dragonacc

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 70 Mach 1, 84 5.0
Off the top of my head I would say there is about a 500 lbs difference. A Celica is a 14 second car in the 1/4 stock I believe and I don't know about 0-60.

With a 2zz and the proper suspension setup you could probably hit 13s in the Yaris.
Dragonacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #18
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
Dood: i can only say "may the force be with you"