Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-26-2006, 02:26 AM   #19
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
I just made a box today. 3/4" particle board. And 5 hours to build it. Goind to install my system of 2 12" subs tomorrow in my Sadan. Wish me luck! I will post pictures within 36hours.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:20 PM   #20
Lowfront

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Isn't particle board horrible for a sub box...?
Lowfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:54 AM   #21
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowfront
Isn't particle board horrible for a sub box...?
well, it is less than ideal, but with low power subs it "should" be just fine(even more likley to be fine in a ported box). a little bracing inside, or a divider in the box, with either of the above situations wouldnt hurt eather.

but MDF is always a better choice :)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:31 AM   #22
Lafiro

Well my box is just too big and anything above "low freq." doesn't come out of the subs. Put it this way, out on the song "Hmm Hmm" by Beenie Man. The first two long beats rattle the hliving hell out of the inside of my car... but any beat after, not a thing. that gets annoying, especially when I blocked the two ports I made thinking it might have helped. Oh well :/ maybe my box is just to big and my trunk doesnt have enough space? Maybe cause the cables are connected incorrectly to the car speakers. Maybe also cause the amp settings are just off as well? I wish I knew what It was, but this is my first car, and my first system. Its been raining each day so I havent been able to get pics, dont want to get that particle board wet.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:54 AM   #23
johnnyfive

it is most likley that the box is not the right size for the subs, what subs are you using?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:12 PM   #24
Lafiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
it is most likley that the box is not the right size for the subs, what subs are you using?
Clif Designs CD10.1LX amp, with two CDAW120 subs.

I originally made the box for the CD1200C but I couldnt afford it after looking the the price difference/dont need it for competition as it is. So now my box is probably two times as big as needed :( Its currently a trapeziod shape. 34" in back. 39" in front. 20" deep. And 14" high. And then its cut in half down the middle. I followed the cu/feet thing on there site for there vented box. But now its sealed and I guess that could also be adding to it? I needs 1.25cu/feet. Each has like 2-3cu/feet.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:30 PM   #25
johnnyfive

making the box to the proper size will make an incredible difference in the sound that the subs make.

i would say make a new box, and make it out of MDF if you could. make it to spec, or a little over, and then you can add some spare wood to the inside, to reduce the internal volume until it sounds to your liking :)
Old 08-30-2006, 01:07 AM   #26
Lafiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
making the box to the proper size will make an incredible difference in the sound that the subs make.

i would say make a new box, and make it out of MDF if you could. make it to spec, or a little over, and then you can add some spare wood to the inside, to reduce the internal volume until it sounds to your liking :)
Someone told me Im missing "mid's" ; What the heck is that? Is this because of the fact my wiring is messed up + the box is just WAY to big right now? Thanks! And yes MDF is fine, but what thinkness, cause the particle board I used is 3/4".
Old 08-30-2006, 12:07 PM   #27
johnnyfive

yeah, a sub in an over sided box will sound "boomy" and it could also be a crossover setting on your amp/deck that is adding to the problem

you should use 3/4" mdf, much sturdier, and more weather resitant than partical board
Old 09-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #28
zestia

Drives: 07' yaris
JohnnyFive. This is exactly what I want to do with my sedan. I just never dove into it. How will you secure the enclosure to the trunk? Please let us know when you are done with the install.
zestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #29
jetaimejsc

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
^ 3 yr bump...nice!
jetaimejsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #30
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetaimejsc View Post
^ 3 yr bump...nice!
hehe well... it took him 2 years to read the thread, so....
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #31
Slick

Drives: '09 3-Dr
Send a message via MSN to Slick
holy moly, this has to be a record bump lol
Old 09-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #32
zestia

Drives: 07' yaris
It takes a while to read through all the threads. And, I still haven't seen any pics of the final product.
zestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #33
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Wow! I thought you were kidding about the 3 year bump! I wonder how the particle board enclosure is doing?