Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 AM   #1
Lone Wolf

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
New deck or new speakers?

I want to improve my sound experiance in my car, but I'm not interested in paying too too much money, at least not at the moment.

My question is, would investing in a $150-$200 aftermarket deck result in a noticeable improvement in sound quality/level even with stock speakers?
Lone Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:46 AM   #2
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

Most after market stereo's (good brands atleast) have better sound quality. Not sure how much better it gets with stock speakers though, Probablly a bit better but it won't make you go "WOW AWESOME! OMG !!!"
id3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:50 AM   #3
Lone Wolf

Hmm. What if I kept the stock deck and got new speakers? How much would I have to spend to get a noticeably difference?
Old 06-09-2009, 03:55 AM   #4
CpKi1g3
High speeds are fun...

Drives: 07' Polar White sedan Base
Send a message via MSN to CpKi1g3 Send a message via Yahoo to CpKi1g3
just go for the speakers at least you would be able to handle the bass without worrying about blowing them. what you got stock???
CpKi1g3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:57 AM   #5
Lone Wolf

Ya everything is stock for my sound.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:03 AM   #6
CpKi1g3
High speeds are fun...

well i can say is you won't notice a big difference but at least it will sound a bit more crisp and deliver a better smoother bass by changing the speakers. the stock headunit works absolutly fine i use to have it like so for a long time. i have 2-way 6 1/2" in the front and 6 X 9 4-way in the back sounded good
Old 06-09-2009, 04:09 AM   #7
Lone Wolf

Hmm..Well what if I just used the stock deck, stock speakers, but get an amp and a sub? Would that give me the most improvement for my money?
Old 06-09-2009, 04:18 AM   #8
CpKi1g3
High speeds are fun...

ok so you want bass huh??? if you do so like you said i would recommend lowering or leave the bass level on the deck from 0 to -5 or lowest setting but raising the amp's setting higher and so even can give you a hard hitting bass but so you won't lose your treble leave that one at its highest since treble or high frequencies can't blow speakers :-) i use to run like this for another while till i got my deck
Old 06-09-2009, 04:22 AM   #9
CpKi1g3
High speeds are fun...

oh and i didn't answer your question..."Would that give me the most improvement for my money?" It does. but it all depends on what you want really
Old 06-09-2009, 04:25 AM   #10
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpKi1g3 View Post
ok so you want bass huh??? if you do so like you said i would recommend lowering or leave the bass level on the deck from 0 to -5 or lowest setting but raising the amp's setting higher and so even can give you a hard hitting bass but so you won't lose your treble leave that one at its highest since treble or high frequencies can't blow speakers :-) i use to run like this for another while till i got my deck
Hmm that's a good idea. That way you get more mileage out of the stock speakers.

For a modest sub and amp + inst. what am I looking at?
Old 06-09-2009, 04:28 AM   #11
CpKi1g3
High speeds are fun...

as a minimum it has 2 adjusters or knobs one is level and the other is crossover or bass boost but the one i have has about 3 or 4 but the more expensive or higher tech they might come with equalizer built in and those knobs its not hard its just like setting up a stereo at home :-)
Old 06-09-2009, 04:40 AM   #12
CpKi1g3
High speeds are fun...

well just to let you know that a "decent" sound system WILL give you more loudness in the yaris that any bigger car just so you know... so if you get an amp and a sub/s that are less than or around 100 bucks each will not give you a decent sound it will be louder. but right now i checked on bestbuy.com and they have good stuff for budget sound. for install is way easy and i would be able to give you instructions or anyone in the forums to save you money b:-)d
Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 AM   #13
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Better thing for $200 by itself to improve the audio quality inside the car is sound dampening, IMHO. Sure, a deck can make things more clear, but if you don't lower the ambient noise level first you can't pick up the extra clarity.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #14
YotaYaris

Drives: 09 3dr (sold), 12 SE 5spd : )
We have an economy car, that I am sure has economy speakers.

Go for the speakerss, no doubt about it. Which ever path you take you will have to get new speakers. Thats where I would start.
YotaYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
MPC Motorsports

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan
I would start with new speakers all around, then schedule future upgrades as your funds allow. Next, I would upgrade the HU with one that has 3 sets of preamp outputs so you could later add an amp(s) to power all four speakers and a subwoofer. That is how I did my system and if you aren't afraid to shop the internet, you can build a nice system without breaking the bank.

Here's a link to my system if you need any inspiration.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...683#post310683
Look for post #50 on page 3.

Marc
MPC Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #16
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
new deck won't make a different... not to your ears at least.
minimum should be a deck and 1 pair of speakers, honestly tho.. if your going to do this.. do it right and do 1 pair of component 6.5's an amp, and a deck... if you are smart you can do it for under $500.

start here... www.ikesound.com

amp kit (8awg AT LEAST, but 4awg is better) $20-50
http://www.ikesound.com/lanzar_lq81ps

6.5" components $100-150 (for entry level comps, which will be better than most coax's)
http://www.ikesound.com/infinity_reference_6020cs

Small amp 50x2rms to 80x2 rms (looking for an amp with a total fuse size of at least 20amps, otherwise it won't do what it claims for power)http://www.ikesound.com/kenwood_kac_6202

so... gave you general ideas.. and even gave you an option that would work for each piece of equipment. rear speakers are darn near worthless and a HUGE wast of money.. so don't pay money to replace them... just spend all your money to upgrade the fronts to a much better quality speaker. And amp is very key to a decent install cause decks just suck at giving power.. and a new deck will give you a clean signal to supply the amp... stock decks are a paint to integrate with amps... it can be done.. but is far from ideal (that said.. I currently am running a stock deck and two lil 8" subs with stock speakers... not cause I like it... just don't have the access to a garage and tools I need to do my install yet).

good luck.

In order of importance...
Speakers,
amp (LOTS OF POWER!)
deck

oh yeah.. you don't need a deck with 3 sets of pre-outs... one is plenty... two is better... three is overkill and really only needed if you start doing crazy installs... or think you NEED rear speakers and the ability to change the fade function on the fly while driving.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #17
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaYaris View Post
We have an economy car, that I am sure has economy speakers.

Go for the speakerss, no doubt about it. Which ever path you take you will have to get new speakers. Thats where I would start.
I've yet to see a car equiped with something other than economy speakers... even the ones that come with "premium sound" like Bose and infinity are cheap crap.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #18
YotaYaris

Drives: 09 3dr (sold), 12 SE 5spd : )
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
I've yet to see a car equiped with something other than economy speakers... even the ones that come with "premium sound" like Bose and infinity are cheap crap.
Thanks for the heads up.