Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
My dyno and what to do about it

Discuss. Nexus, Tamago, Garm, etc... if you'd like to bring some of our private conversations into this thread to add to the knowledgebase of the community, feel free. I'll post some of what I took away from it when I'm not at work. I'll just say that I'm excited at what this thing will do when the tune is right! Looks like that 180 WHP might be in this thing after all.

Sorry for the crap picture. They're supposed to e-mail me the actual graph eventually. Also, no AFR! I need me a wideband, like, yesterday.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
you need to pull fuel out in that valley.

honestly the graph is useless without an AFR chart :( sorry dude.

i'd imagine you're pulling too much timing with the Blue too.

time to buy a wideband! *cough cough*
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
ChinoCharles
Banned

No, you're right and I know that. I guess question one is, well, a multi-part question. LOL

[1] Is the e-manage blue strong enough to continue under the assumption that this is what I'll be using to tune it OR do I need to start thinking standalone?
[2] What widebands would work well?
[3] What is this Nexus keeps talking about regarding a narrowband sim and why is that so important?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Tamago

1. the emanage has potential to do the job, because you're only running 10 psi. you're well within the parameters available in the emanage at this point.
2. any wideband will work, most are 5 wire "bosch" setups. my Innovate G2 (LC1+ gauge) actually comes with a wideband controller that will simulate your stock o2 sensor if need be, and has narrowband and wideband outputs built in, as well as some datalogging. great unit (IMO better than the AEM unit)
3. narrowband SIM is used to basically trick the stock ECU into seeing "stoich" even when it's not. so you can add fuel without the stock ECU fighting the Greddy unit.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

OK, so step one is probably:

[1] Get and install a wideband
[2] Get a cable for the e-manage, the software and a laptop
[3] Go to the track and datalog a run

Does that seem reasonable?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
Tamago

don't need to do track to datalog. i recommend street tuning, since the car is primarily driven on the street. make it easy to drive, and the power will come second (but still improve over your current numbers.. unless there's something wrong with your snail)
you nailed it sir.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

Well the good news is that the impeller spins freely and there is no shaft play. We just checked it last weekend.

Street tuning it is.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
agreed that without an a/f curve, you can't do much with that dyno chart. Further, a boost curve would be really useful too. If you're making full boost (10psi) but not power and the equipment is sound, you need fuel and timing adjustments to bring that number up.

something odd though - our rev limiter is 6250, but your dyno goes past that. What's up with that? Tamago?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

I just posted it to show that it needs help, basically. We can still figure out what needs to be done. The apparent answer is I need some AFR readings pronto, which I already knew but I like having you guys chime in every step of the way. I trust y'all. Why this is happening (power flatline) will come with time and a little effort.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
something odd though - our rev limiter is 6250, but your dyno goes past that. What's up with that? Tamago?
are you sure that's not 6520? 62 is really low.
you nailed it sir.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
my car hits 6500 then bounces
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
^^

Yeap, the redline is at 6,400rpm and the limiter will kick in very shortly after it. So 6,500 sounds about right...
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

6250 is our rev limiter, most of the dynos show peak power at about 5800, including mine both stock and turbo'd.

yeah i see mine over-revving too.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
3. narrowband SIM is used to basically trick the stock ECU into seeing "stoich" even when it's not. so you can add fuel without the stock ECU fighting the Greddy unit.
So basically could allow us to remove the OE O2 sensor and have it replaced it with a wideband and feed the ECU with the simulated signal?

Would this have the same "effect" of a MAF clamp?

Doesn't our cars have some sort of hybrid O2 sensor? I read somewere that although the OE sensor is not a wideband it is somewhat more advance than a regular narrow band sensor...

Just some thoughts.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
ChinoCharles
Banned

Keep the thoughts coming. I'll be referencing this thread often in the coming weeks and I need the info.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #16
Tamago

Quote:
6250 is our rev limiter, most of the dynos show peak power at about 5800, including mine both stock and turbo'd.

yeah i see mine over-revving too.
where are you getting this 6250 number?
you nailed it sir.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

My car. If you rev up your motor slowly, that's where the rev limiter engages -- at least on my car it does. Anyone else test in that way?
Old 07-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #18
Tamago

Quote:
My car. If you rev up your motor slowly, that's where the rev limiter engages -- at least on my car it does. Anyone else test in that way?
your car has stand-alone engine management.
you nailed it sir.