Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
My 2015 Yaris SE Review

I got to spend a week with a loaded 2015 Yaris SE. The front end never grew on me. I did like the interior design, however. Still hate the wheels. Ride and handling were better than expected. You can read the full review here.

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...-yaris-se.html
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Thanks for the review.

But please, don't refer to a 9 speed auto trans as hi tech. There is no engineering reason for a 9 speed auto trans, its just a selling point for people who think 9 must be better than 3.

A 3 speed auto will get better mpg than a 9 because it spends one third the time revving to a shift point.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:08 AM   #3
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Thanks for the review.

But please, don't refer to a 9 speed auto trans as hi tech. There is no engineering reason for a 9 speed auto trans, its just a selling point for people who think 9 must be better than 3.

A 3 speed auto will get better mpg than a 9 because it spends one third the time revving to a shift point.
I'd beg to differ. There is no reason an automaker would invest in a multispeed transmission simply to market it as such. It'd cost far too much in tooling and engineering to do it simply as a marketing stunt.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:14 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
I'd beg to differ. There is no reason an automaker would invest in a multispeed transmission simply to market it as such. It'd cost far too much in tooling and engineering to do it simply as a marketing stunt.
Sure there is. Its what the public (thinks) they want. If you dont build what they want they dont buy it and you go out of business. If you can BS the public into thinking a 9 speed transmission is better than a 3 speed so much the better!

Thats why Toyota said ENOUGH and keep the four speed.

And we all know the Yaris is the best small car made...dont we?
Old 03-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Leave it to bronsin to bring in the conspiracy theory angle.

nice article as always. as for the Yaris being the best small car made, well that was the case from 2007-2010. Since then others have stepped up their game however Toyota has not. We are 1 year away in the US from the 10 year mark when Toyota brought something different and groundbreaking in the segment. Since the 2015 is just another evolution of the chassis we won't enjoy something innovative once again for at least a few more years. As always the rest of the world will receive better treatment than us because of the perception that Americans, all Americans are sheep to big SUVs and trucks. Toyota may not have a reason in their eyes to do much with the segment, but they sure as hell have the money to burn so they should in my book.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #6
Thirty-Nine

More gears allows for more gear spread. Better acceleration in low gears while achieving low RPM at higher speed. I'm no engineer, but this is how I understand it.

I think the Yaris was serious for the first few years it was out. However, now it is a bit dated compared to the competition. Simple and effective? Yes. However, it loses in the horsepower wars, which is much more of a marketing thing than I think transmissions will ever be. That being said, there is a lot of marketing involved. After all, you don't have to have the best product on the market, you just need to make your buyers think you do. Unfortunately, the Yaris isn't a cash cow for Toyota in the U.S., but rather a gateway to the brand (as are most subcompact cars in North America).

Americans will likely always have big trucks, SUVs, and sedans and that's fine—as long as I have an option for the small cars.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
the perception that Americans, all Americans are sheep to big SUVs and trucks.
Perception is a funny thing. Thinking about the misconceptions some Californians have about Texas (the proliferation of people riding around on horses and wearing 10 gallon hats), and the misconception some Texans have about California (that it is going to fall into the ocean...especially after a bad earthquake).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #8
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Perception is a funny thing. Thinking about the misconceptions some Californians have about Texas (the proliferation of people riding around on horses and wearing 10 gallon hats), and the misconception some Texans have about California (that it is going to fall into the ocean...especially after a bad earthquake).
Yeah no kidding.

Seriously though; the women here in Maine use pine cones to brush their hair. All Mainers say Cah, Pahk, Bahston, etc. All Mainers eat Lobstah and can speak French. We do all this for sure!

The perceptions are totally dead on.

Anyway, I digress. I am just a bit jaded with the big T right now especially when they try to generate excitement about their bland offerings. Why not just be straight up about appealing to only reliability and call it a day rather than perpetuate a farce. People will obviously still buy their vehicles and in droves.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Simple and effective? Yes. However, it loses in the horsepower wars, which is much more of a marketing thing than I think transmissions will ever be.
You are probably right, but I've never understood that view. The Yaris (in general) is for people who either, by choice or by necessity, are frugal and may want to enjoy carving out some turns on a twisty road (after a few mods).

Quote:
Americans will likely always have big trucks, SUVs, and sedans and that's fine—as long as I have an option for the small cars.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Why not just be straight up about appealing to only reliability and call it a day rather than perpetuate a farce. People will obviously still buy their vehicles and in droves.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
All Mainers say Cah, Pahk, Bahston, etc. All Mainers eat Lobstah and can speak French. We do all this for sure!
My best friend (an American) first learned Swedish while studying the language in Lund (a city in the southern part of Sweden). He learned Riksvenska (the 'dialect of Stockholm' (Stockholm = not in the northern part of Sweden ) that is also the 'official dialect' of the Riksdag (the national legislature in Sweden). My best European friend is a Gothenburg/Goteborg native, and speaks with an upper class version of that particular local accent. The two of them used to get in arguments (laughing while they were arguing....but still competitive and stubborn) about which one was speaking 'proper Swedish'. Eventually, after his med school years in Lund, my best friend developed a local (Scania/Skane) provincial accent that is prevalent in the Lund/Malmo area (retained to this day...he lives in Copenhagen), and the debates stopped. However, my stubborn best friend never admitted that he was wrong way back when .
Old 03-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #12
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
11 posts and this thread went from a Yaris SE review to...

I'm so lost, where is the door?
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #13
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
bronsin for Prez, 2016! Screw those higher gear tranny wannabes. Nice, simple, and reliable. Why I bought the Yaris....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #14
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Quote:
Yeah no kidding.

Seriously though; the women here in Maine use pine cones to brush their hair.
I KNEW IT!
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
Nice, simple, and reliable.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
I KNEW IT!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:13 PM   #17
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
A little of topic, but the #1 reason I bought (for my Dad) a 2015 Corolla L (rather than the LE) was the 4-speed automatic transmission. After seriously test driving the 4-speed L and the CVT LE, I far preferred the tried and true 4-speed; it was quick, intelligent, and responsive. In comparison, the CVT was a slug and I hated it. BTW, my 4-speed Yaris tranny performs better than my 6-speed Camry.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:44 AM   #18
The Limo 2

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I like your review. It is nice to hear from someone that owns an earlier model hatchback and to talk intelligently about the positive and maybe not so positive changes in the model over the years until present day. I enjoyed it.
Roy (owner of a 2007 sedan)
The Limo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote