Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Dash Kit - No Mods

Ok... This weekend I set out to install a new stereo deck. I have read the posts on what wire harness to buy as well as the dash kit for mounting.

I used an American International TOY 969 Kit. None of the brackets/tabs would fit so I used the brackets from the original radio.

Holy $h!t. Everything went perfect until I though I was done. The radio and mounting kit stuck out too far to get the center panel back on (the panel with the air vents).

In and out, in and out, notching, grinding, lifting, trimming, nipping... Bla Bla Bla.. I even stripped one of the mounting screws in the new radio.

I got it in but I had to slot the stock deck mounting bracket holes to move the radio back and down. Not really what I expected. I got it in but it should probably come back out because on the right side, it is still too tight keeping the right side trim panel from fitting perfectly.

I know there are SEVERAL threads about changing the stereo.

Is there a dash kit / mount kit, that will fit the Yaris with NO MODS? I didn't hack the car but the rest of the mounting hardware is not what I expected.

Same subject, different note: My new deck has provisions for a rear aux input. I took a 1/8" stereo patch cable and cut off one of the ends. I stripped the casings and I soldered a piece of solid bell wire to all three conductors. Probably about 24 gage or so. Slipped shrink tubing over the three leads and it was just the right size to slip into the right terminal number of the cars wire harness. No mods to the factory wiring. The 1/8" stereo plug plugs into the back of the deck.

Back to the dash kit... Is there one available to fit the yaris with no mods to anything? Plug & Play if you will including mounting brackets?
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
TOY K969 should work.
That's the one I received when I ordered a dash kit from eBay.
It came with quite a few sets of brackets, one of which was for the 3/5door hatchback specifically.

Here, try this:

Dash Kit + Wiring Harness
http://cgi.ebay.ca/TOYOTA-2007-YARIS...QQcmdZViewItem

Dash Kit Only
http://cgi.ebay.ca/07-Toyota-Yaris-C...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
barryware

That is the kit that I got. Like I said, I had to remove the stock brackets from the OEM radio and use thohe along with the kit. It does not fit. The screws go in but the radio and the enclosure stick out to far to put the center panel back on.
Since my post, I called Metra (www.metraonline,com). The kit for the Yaris is 99-8216. They claim that only parts that come with the kit need to be used and it will fit.

I ordered one for another attempt at a clean install.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:56 PM   #4
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

That is really strange...

Mine installed without any modifications whatsoever.
I took out my OEM/stock radio.

Put together the DIN kit with the specified 3DR hatchback brackets from TOY-K969, and it fit perfectly.

99-8216 will work, as it was specifcally made for the Yaris.

TOY-K969 is a cross vehicle kit, intended primarily for the Scions. American International decided to throw in a few more brackets to make it fit the Yaris Hatch/Sedans (without the integrated stereo).

Sorry to hear yours had to turn out this way.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
barryware

I originally bought the kit from e-bay. It did say it was for a yaris. I got two sets of brackets. Neither would fit. The bag that the stuff came in said it was for a Scion Xa or Xb. Maybe I got either an old package or someone left out the tight brackets. I tried both sets to get it to fit into the bay brior to putting in the deck. Probably just should have stopped there but no.... I kept going. That's when I thought of using the OEM brackets.

How many sets of brackets did your kit come with?
Old 11-06-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Mine came with four brackets!

1: Xa/Xb/Tc
2: FJ Cruiser
3: Yaris Hatchback
4: Yaris Sedan without integrated radio

It really does look like you got an old dash kit...
I guess it's not worth it to contact the seller about this problem now, seeing as how you bought the Metra kit now.

Again, that sucks!
Hope your Metra install will be smoother.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
barryware

Thanks.... Yep.. I only got two brackets. I tried to contact the seller on e-bay before I opened the bag (after I saw the description on the bag). No responce.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
barryware

Just an update..

I received the Metra Install Kit (99-8216) and re-did the installation. Took about 10 minutes. This one fits PERFECT. No mods.

Just so everyone who is interested knows, it comes with two sets of brackets. One set is for the 4 door sedan, the other is for the 2 door liftback.

They are hard to find though. I had to get it from someone in California. It was special order from anyone local.

Now I'm happy.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #9
Uncle Rusty
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris
thanks BigSky2 - I was pissed when i saw the holes. $6 dollars later I'm fine.
Uncle Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote