Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
mybabygirl

Drives: Silver Yaris Sedan
Power lock conversion question

Ok, so I was wanting to convert my manual locks to power but my installer wouldn't do it. He said that cutting into the cable would weakin it and therefore the locking mechanism would quit working eventually and I'd have to replace the cables and that equals big money I'm sure. I know some of you have already installed them yourselves. So my question is, have any of you had any problems since? Or does anyone know from personal experience with cable locks in other vehicles know of any problems with the cable weakening from cutting into it? I really appreciate your help cause I forgot how sucky manual locks are, but I don't wanna hurt my new baby. Thanks
mybabygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
I love my manual locks.

Sorry I'm no help. I don't miss that clunky key pad or those quirky auto locks at all. You just have to remember to grab your keys and flip the knob, not too bad, and the manuals don't go out. They pretty much last forever.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
mybabygirl

Drives: Silver Yaris Sedan
Only reason I dislike the manual is because I have 2 kids. So I have to unlock my door, climb in reach in back and unlock both the back doors and then make sure they lock their doors. I could live without power otherwise. But yeah the manual last forever which is why I like no power windows.
mybabygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Yeah, I guess that's how they had to do it back in the old days too. I'm sure there's lots of options for the power. Have you tried the search box?
Old 04-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
The cable is NOT stranded wire like most people assume. Its a solid steel wire.

If done properly I cannot imagine how it could harm it. Even if it does break how much could a new cable cost?

I did mine a few months ago and have had no issues.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #6
W.A.S.P
I love my Yaris!

Drives: White Yaris Liftback 2 Dr. AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
The cable is NOT stranded wire like most people assume. Its a solid steel wire.

If done properly I cannot imagine how it could harm it. Even if it does break how much could a new cable cost?

I did mine a few months ago and have had no issues.
Same here, no problems so far, an it if breaks it shouldn't take much time or money to replace it.

To the original poster: If you like power locks then go for it. Don't worry about that "cable"... it's tougher than you think!
W.A.S.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
MrJester

Drives: homo
for the guys that did it

did you do the install your self or did you take it to a pro shop to get them done? How much was it if you took it someplace? Did you have to have a hole cut in door and b pillar of the rear doors?
MrJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
acrbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
for the guys that did it

did you do the install your self or did you take it to a pro shop to get them done? How much was it if you took it someplace? Did you have to have a hole cut in door and b pillar of the rear doors?
I did it myself. Its not difficult if you know how to follow instructions. I have a hatchback so I did not have to worry about the rear doors. I would assume there has to be one of those rubber boots to get wires from the pillar to the door since sedans have the option of power windows and locks. If there is no boot you can buy a setup that is easy to install. You just drill a hole in the door and pillar.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
MrJester

Drives: homo
Hummmmm I will have to try and do it then. Where did you get your instructions at any chance you could pm or email me some pics of how and where your actuators are setup thanks man. the instructions that came with mine sux the balls.
MrJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
acrbill

http://www.a1electric.com/cablelock.htm

Thats a good one and there is another on this board if you check the DIY list.