Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
razzorjet2

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Integrated CD Player LED Changeout

Well it's been a busy weekend. I disabled DRL's, replaced the bulbs in the gear shifter and the 3 climate control knobs, and removed the stock stereo and replaced the green LEDs with blue. Everything looks good, but I noticed now that the green display is blue it's harder to read the black digital readout. Has anyone made this mod to the display at least a year ago. I was wondering if over time anyone experienced missing segments on the black digital readout that is backlit by the new blue LED's?

Old 04-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
are you saying that you have a solid black read-out and you cant read any letters/numbers?

if that is the case, you may have to take it all apart again and make sure that you have the metal casing around the LCD tabs bent to create a solid connection to the circuit board.

if that not the case, you may want to rotate between white and blue (as too defuse the darkness of the blue), but thats just and idea...

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Hey lush, how poor does LCD visibility get when you change the backlighting to blue? Should I consider leaving any panels white for the sake of being able to see them? I know razzorjet already said it gets bad, but the question is how bad. High resolution pics would be sexy, but not necessary.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
PICTURES, please

I am planning to do this very soon. I may end up with green and blue.

or orange and blue??? hmmmm?
Old 04-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

here are some change outs:

OgDoggs (All blue): http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=40

Bones (All blue): http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=17

||)) (o) ||\|| (blue and white): http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=27

will work for parts
Old 04-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkalush View Post

Thank you Vodka, I've seen these pictures and I think they came out great. I was wondering how this guy's came out since he is having some visability issues.

Thing is there are no pictures of a liftback completed.

Last edited by brickhardmeat; 04-15-2007 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Liftback Pictures
brickhardmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

not that I know of...

call out to razzorjet2, take some pics and post them up!

will work for parts
Old 04-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
I agree, maybe the LB is trickier, but one wouldn't think so.
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:12 AM   #9
razzorjet2

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to clarify a little. When you go to blue since the LEDs are brighter than the green ones, you will notice that the black segments (where the track number, root folder etc) are not as black as they were with the green. You can read them fine, they are just not as deep black as they were with the green. Be careful when you reassemble the LCD to the board, I had some missing segments due to the poor zebra strip alignment inside the LCD housing. That's the danger in removing the LCD from the board, you may have to disassemble then reassemble a time or to to get all of your black segments to be visable. As to the integratated buttons (AM , FM , FM2) that all looks great. I'll try to get some pictures up, but i don't have a digital camera, so I'll have to borrow one.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:33 AM   #10
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Drives: White YRX 5DR Hatchback 2006
Talking about changing LEDs on the stock CD Player ~ I'd like to do it as well ~

Problem is.....I have a totally different player to you guys and I have a liftback ~ Any ideas?

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...5791#post75791

That is my CD player.....it's not lit up cause I didn't turn the lights on ~

Jaspie ~

Last edited by jaspie; 04-16-2007 at 08:45 AM.
jaspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #11
MrJester

Drives: homo
Man I have a different unit then both of those. I will take some pics tonight it is the JVC unit.
MrJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #12
razzorjet2

Hey all,
Brick and Vodka, I work as an electronic technician, so I'm a little picky when it comes to LCD displays. The average guy probably would'nt be too concerned. The instructions you guys posted are excellent and I don't want to discourage anyone from doing the changeout. Just be prepared that the black isn't going to stand out as well with the blue LED's. And a few tips as to the soldering- use tweezers to place the new LEDs, and don't hold the iron on your new solder joint too long, you will either melt of fry the new LED.
Also make sure you use a fine point tip on your iron, you'll probably melt the LED otherwise. I would suggest using a Weller iron. Any other questions send me a message.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #13
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Thanks Razor,

My Dad is the expert so I am gonna buy him a pizza to do mine. My screen always says AUX so as long as it's blue I'm good.

appreciate the tips!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #14
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzorjet2 View Post
Hey all,
Brick and Vodka, I work as an electronic technician, so I'm a little picky when it comes to LCD displays. The average guy probably would'nt be too concerned. The instructions you guys posted are excellent and I don't want to discourage anyone from doing the changeout. Just be prepared that the black isn't going to stand out as well with the blue LED's. And a few tips as to the soldering- use tweezers to place the new LEDs, and don't hold the iron on your new solder joint too long, you will either melt of fry the new LED.
Also make sure you use a fine point tip on your iron, you'll probably melt the LED otherwise. I would suggest using a Weller iron. Any other questions send me a message.
Off topic, but do you know of a way to get low level outputs (RCA jacks) from our stock deck so I could hook an amp up without using high level adapters?
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:57 PM   #15
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzorjet2 View Post
Hey all,
These are all good points and should def. be followed. I for some reason thought that I had added the info about the small tipped iron of the orig post of the DIY thread (apparently i didnt) so I went ahead and updated the orig thread topic to include that, warning the "blue leds may cause your LCD readout/letters to be dimmer", and also added tweezers to the recommend equipment next to small needle nose pliers. thanks suggestions/heads up

will work for parts
Old 04-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #16
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
It looks like it depends on what blue you get. I was hoping mine was the deep dark blue pictured, and I think they are, but now I am thinking I should stick with white for the panel.

Here is another question... are the aftermarket white LED's brighter than the stock whites?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #17
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

the ones I got are a little brighter then then the speedo white (but thats because there is a light gray "light spreader" for the gauge cluster, but I simply turn down the brightness and they even out.

I actually still havent finished my LCD led change out, but I'm going to with white (as planned), i'm worried that the screen may have a green hue to it.. (but then again the leds are freaking bright :) ).

will work for parts
Old 04-16-2007, 02:48 PM   #18
razzorjet2

Low Level Outputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Off topic, but do you know of a way to get low level outputs (RCA jacks) from our stock deck so I could hook an amp up without using high level adapters?
Refer to page 223 of the EWD (Electrical Wiring Diagram) of the Repair manual. It does'nt look like there is a milivolt signal output of the stock deck which is what you are looking for. You would need a schematic of the PC Board of the stock deck and hard wire a line in at the appropriate junction point, which I would'nt recommend doing anyway.