Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
jaimico

Drives: yaris advance
Dimming lights

Hello guys, Iīm having a dimming problem with my head ligths and fogs when the car is running in idle, I have notice that it comes and goes.

When I step on the gas, just a little, they will go back to normal, I have already check al connectors and wiring, the alternator is charging normal, and no issues so far.

But itīs funny that it comes and goes, any ideas?
jaimico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That is somewhat normal.

The headlights and fogs together draw about 18 Amps, which is a significant load on a 70 Amp alternator. The alternator reaches its 70A output capacity at about 3500 RPM, so at idle it is on the lower end of its curve. The battery acts as a reserve during times when the alternator is not keeping up with the system demand. If the dimming is significant, the next thing to check would be the condition of your battery. If it is reaching the end of its useful life, its capacity will be reduced.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Mine does the same thing. CT would probably have a better explanation. I attribute it to the little alternator not keeping up with demand during certain moments. I know that if I put the car on the charger overnite to keep the battery up to speed, it doesn't occur as much.

Edit: He beat me to it.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimico View Post
Hello guys, Iīm having a dimming problem with my head ligths and fogs when the car is running in idle, I have notice that it comes and goes.

When I step on the gas, just a little, they will go back to normal, I have already check al connectors and wiring, the alternator is charging normal, and no issues so far.

But itīs funny that it comes and goes, any ideas?
Mine used to do this very badly for almost 2 years.... until the car wouldn't start one day after diving it for more than an hour prior to trying. After I replaced the battery from my other car in storage (even though the battery is almost 9 years old, it rarely was used and was always fully charged) the problem has gone away.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
jaimico

Well my batery is about a year old, so is not the batery, I guess the best option is to get a higer amp alternator, so it will not be that much of a problem.
Would a voltage stabilizer help in this situation?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Well my batery is about a year old, so is not the batery, I guess the best option is to get a higer amp alternator, so it will not be that much of a problem.
Would a voltage stabilizer help in this situation?
The battery being not all that old doesn't necessarily mean that it is not the problem. Upgrading the alt would definitely help, but a voltage stabilizer would not.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
jaimico

Itīs funny, that one of the seling point for voltage stabilizer is "no more dimming ligths", thatīs more marketing than real deal.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Itīs funny, that one of the seling point for voltage stabilizer is "no more dimming ligths", thatīs more marketing than real deal.
A voltage stabilizer is really just a capacitor, and that is actually what your battery is as well, so it would flatten the sags a bit and might make the dimming less apparent.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Simple things like ensuring connections are tight, free of corrosion etc. go a long way also.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
I was going to recommend a stabilizer as well. Or how about a bigger battery? Switch to HIDs too they draw less power.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
^plus LED tails brakes running light, front runnin lights, LED fogs if you have em. I would have to say the lights draw the most power next to the blower fan.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
jaimico

Yeah, HID, LEDs, and a capacitor for the sound system as well should help to.
Iīm going to have check the batery, and re-check all connectors, and grounds too.
Good inputs.