Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
jc2244

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris (sedan)
Question 2007 Yaris making a new/bizarre noise

I have a manual transmission 2007 Toyota Yaris with about 115,000 miles put on it. I bought it new so I know what wear/tear has been put on it.

Over the past few months, a distinct noise has been occuring...and has become more noticeable lately. It sounds like a cyclic/rotating dry noise that is present while parked, in idle, any gear, and does not go away when clutch is in or after accelerating to any particular speed. It sounds like the rotating noise speeds up at higher RPMs but nothing too fast to where I can't decipher it. I'm thinking a fan or belt? I'm not too sure what components of an manual transmission car is still at work while in park/idling (other than fans, radiator, or belts).

I take pretty good care of my car, but considering the mileage I'm crossing my fingers that it's nothing major. I get regular oil changes every 3k-5k miles, tire rotations/balancing when I get my oil changed, manually put in new spark plugs about 50k miles ago (I plan on replacing again pretty soon), replaces serpantine belt about 18k miles ago, check fluids regularly, etc.. I did however get OEM radiator (fan and hoses too) and water pump back in January of 2011, could be defects (no temperature or maintanance lights have gone off though)?

Any tips or insight to help me diagnosis this problem before I start messing around under the hood?
jc2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Take a video for us. Is it possible that you overtightened the belt when you replaced your water pump?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
jc2244

I had a mechanic replace water pump, so not sure how loose/tight belt may be. Are you suggesting to take a video of water pump area while car is running?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
jc2244

Well, I took a video on my iphone (I hope it doesn't compress it when i upload it). And to start off, when i opened my hood with the car running it sounded a lot worse from when i'm sitting inside the car, yikes. A mechanic friend told me it sounded like it was the idler pulley. Looked up a few youtube videos of what a good v. failing idler pulley sounds like...and it sounds a lot similar to a bad idler pulley. Second opinion?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm_-lwQhi_Q
Old 02-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
jc2244

Talked to parts/dealership and I guess I have to rule out my guesses above because the 2007 Yaris apparently doesn't have an Idler/Serpantine Pulley...only a pulley for alternator and water pump. Will talk to place that replaced my water pump a year ago. Thanks for advice though.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That sounds like a really bad bearing, possibly in the alternator. I would pop the belt and spin the alternator and water pump by hand.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Gil
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
Talking Belt pulley noise

I read the posts on belt pulley noises. I had the same noises on my 2008. I removed the belt (seemed to have been tensioned very tight). Turned the pulleys by hand and I did not find any issue with bearings. I did notice the belt was cracked on the ribs. I purchased a new belt for 12.50+ at my local napa store and installed it. Wow the noise was no longer there. I figure it was a combination of cracked belt and over tensioning that was causing the pulley noises. I will let you know if the noises come back.
Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Hey, you're local! What mechanic did you take it to? Was it a dealership? Have you used them before? Are they reputable?

I would follow CTScott's advice, the guy knows as much about these cars as the Toyota engineers that designed them!

Cheers! M2
Old 08-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
I would suggest removing the belts and then running the engine. If the noise is gone, check all the rotating parts by hand. If it's still there it's probably chain related (not too common).
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 toyota yaris, manual transmission