Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
blueturtle

Drives: toyota yaris
I NEED HELP

2007 yaris was running great then all of a sudden speedometer stopped working and maintenence light is on can someone help with an idea of what may be wrong? now when car is idleing the whole car vibrates. i need help thanxx.....no warranty

Last edited by blueturtle; 08-12-2012 at 08:05 PM.
blueturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
blueturtle

2007 yaris no warranty
Old 08-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Manual or automatic?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
blueturtle

its automatic, wife just told me she made a left turn and speedometer started working for a few seconds then stopped again
Old 08-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
dinoman

Drives: '07 Yaris LB
rough idle is a hard to diagnose issue as there are many things that can affect the idling. did all the problems happen at the same time? are other functions of your instrument cluster still working? have you checked the fuses? if you have access to an OBD scanner check what error is given.
dinoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
blueturtle

speedo stopped working friday.... today i pulled battery and messed with the fuseible link and checked a few fuses now the check engine light is on and the rough idle started now i feel like i screwed something up.......??????? yes other functions r still working
Old 08-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueturtle View Post
its automatic, wife just told me she made a left turn and speedometer started working for a few seconds then stopped again
The only fuse involved with the vehicle speed sensor would be the ECU-IG one in the fuse panel that is under the bottom of the dash.

The intermittent piece would make it not a fuse thought. A loose connector would be more likely. You can check the right connector on the cluster which is where the vss signal comes in from the transmission. The other end of that signal is on the top of the automatic transmission (the 3 pin black connector).

Did you do anything recently to the car, particularly anything wiring related (like installing a new radio)?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
blueturtle

i have not done anything to the car we have only had it since july 2 we bought it from a toyota pre owned lot
Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
dinoman

when you pulled the battery, did you make sure the terminals are clean when you reconnected the battery back and that the contacts are good?

you may already know, but once you pull the battery off, it clears your ECU. ECU needs to re-learn the idle and such to maximize efficiency. Have you followed the procedure to let ECU learn the idle after it has been reset? Its in your manual but I believe it was something like this (someone correct me if Im wrong)
1. leave car idling without a/c for 5 min.
2. turn the key to "OFF" position and let car shut off completely for 30 sec.
3. start the car again, this time idling WITH a/c on for 5 min.
4. do step 2 again.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
blueturtle

thank you i did not know that about resetting ecu.....just had car out and it is now not shifting into overdrive i cant believe this we bought this car because we thought toyota would b a good reliable car and hopefully it still will but i am getting upset with it
Old 08-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #11
dinoman

Yaris doesnt like to shift into overdrive while the car temperature is low to help reach ideal operating temperature quicker. you can see the "COOL" thermometer light lit on the right when this is the case. Im not sure if this is what you are experiencing
Old 08-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoman View Post
Yaris doesnt like to shift into overdrive while the car temperature is low to help reach ideal operating temperature quicker. you can see the "COOL" thermometer light lit on the right when this is the case. Im not sure if this is what you are experiencing
That's true, but once it is warmed up the ECM may still not allow it to shift into overdrive since it is not getting the speed signal.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
blueturtle

so do u guys think the speed sensor might b bad?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
so do u guys think the speed sensor might b bad?
Either it is bad, or as I mentioned above, the connector on one end or the other is not seated.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
thetut

Drives: 2007 4dr sedan
Contact the dealer. If you bought it from a Toyota pre-owned lot there should be at least a 90 day warranty.
thetut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetut View Post
Contact the dealer. If you bought it from a Toyota pre-owned lot there should be at least a 90 day warranty.
^^^^^ This
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #17
blueturtle

ctscott am i able to get to the other end on top of trany, i am over my head here can u help me out where on top of trany and does it just push back in? i really appreciate ur help thanx!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
ctscott am i able to get to the other end on top of trany, i am over my head here can u help me out where on top of trany and does it just push back in? i really appreciate ur help thanx!
The AT speed sensor connector is not the easiest thing to get to. It is located on the top of the differential on the top side of the back of the transmission (circled in the picture below). To get to it you really have to pull the battery and battery tray. Once you get to it, you can simply push on the connector to make sure it is clicked into place and if it already is, you squeeze and pull it to remove it to look to see if it has any corrosion.

If you haven't checked the other side yet, I would start there, as the instrument cluster connectors only require your fingers to get to. You simple pull off the two vertical black pieces along the sides of the radio, and then pull the cluster trim piece straight back.

AT Speed Sensor.jpg

Just as an FYI, this is what the entire speed sensor assembly looks like:

AT Speed Sensor - Removed.jpg