Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
BlueSchnoodle

Drives: 2006 YRS
Question Yaris 06,need to replace stock stereo

Hi everyone,

newbie here, I just bought a 2006 yrs, and I am thinking of replacing the stock stereo with something that has mp3 playback via usb & bluetooth, i am thinking of something like this
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/car-s...uetooth/676770

Can someone please advise me what to buy or what to look for? any advise are welcome since i never done this before oh and I'm located in Australia

Thanks
BlueSchnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
2005vitzRS

Drives: 2005 Vitz RS, NCP91, Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSchnoodle View Post
Hi everyone,

newbie here, I just bought a 2006 yrs, and I am thinking of replacing the stock stereo with something that has mp3 playback via usb & bluetooth, i am thinking of something like this
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/car-s...uetooth/676770

Can someone please advise me what to buy or what to look for? any advise are welcome since i never done this before oh and I'm located in Australia

Thanks
Thats the exact same unit I bought for my 2005 Vitz.

You will need to buy the dash kit (my car already had one as it came standard with a single DIN radio). You can however find them on ebay.

You will need this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Radio-Ins...item19c22f7b82

As for the radio though. Its a great little unit. The bluetooth features work really well.

I wrote about the setup in this thread
2005vitzRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
BlueSchnoodle

Drives: 2006 YRS
other than that dash kit did you have to get anything else? I noticed in that thread you mentioned you used a Toyota to ISO and an ISO to Pioneer . Where did you get it from and what is this for?
Also I cant see really clearly on the pic you posted earlier, but what happen to the extra space below the new radio, is it just an empty hole so you can see all the wires inside the dashboard or did you cover with something?

Thanks in advance
BlueSchnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
2005vitzRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSchnoodle View Post
other than that dash kit did you have to get anything else? I noticed in that thread you mentioned you used a Toyota to ISO and an ISO to Pioneer . Where did you get it from and what is this for?
Also I cant see really clearly on the pic you posted earlier, but what happen to the extra space below the new radio, is it just an empty hole so you can see all the wires inside the dashboard or did you cover with something?

Thanks in advance
A universal single din pocket should fill the hole nicely. There are a few of them on ebay.

I already had mine so I did not have to go out and buy it. So unfortunately I cant give you the exact measurements or model of the pocket I have. Just make sure that the pocket you buy is exactly the same width as the radio.

As for the connectors. You need the following

ISO -> Pionneer
Pioneer -> ISO

2 connectors in total

The current adapter which goes into your stock standard radio won't work as is. You have the option to cut the wires and wire it all up yourself, or you just buy the above adapters (one side fits into a pioneer radio, the other is for toyota type vehicles). It just makes things so much easier and you don't run the risk of wiring it up incorrectly.

Maybe you should just buy the whole lot from this guy:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-SI...item3cc5512100

Tell him you need the pocket and Pioneer -> ISO connector as well.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
2005vitzRS

PS: Also found this video quiet useful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drdSce3eY5A

Tags
bluetooth, mp3, stereo