Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
TRD Exhaust

Just thought I would chime in here for a bit...

Got my TRD exhaust installed today and man does it sound and look good. I was debating getting a greddy or something similar but they look and sound too ricey for me. Those huge cans in the back just stand out too much IMO. My yaris is kinda subdued and low-key. Plus it is fully stainless and where I live I am going to need it:)

The TRD is perfect for my needs. Not too loud and a very nice deep idle tone.

So, I know TRD gets bashed a lot but I am quite impressed with it and wanted to let anyone know who is sitting on the fence that it is def worth-while. Especially since it isn't any more $$ than other aftermarket exhaust systems.

Next up is Injen CAI (I couldn't swallow $300 for TRD CAI, but $200 I can handle and was my limit).
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
Vioz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Vioz
I got lucky with my trd CAI and found a private sale for 250 lol brand spanking new, my first mod

Vioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
2007tRD
CERTIFIED ASE/SUBARU TECH

Drives: 2007 VIOS S
I would stick with the TRD parts.The Toyota Engineers are very smart and im sure they designed their CAI to work best with their engines.Im not saying anything bad about Greddy,Apexi,HKS,or any other parts companies,but ask a honda guy if he'd rather have AEM or MUGEN...subaru with SPT...nissan with NISMO
2007tRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
they all engineer these things...and they'll all put out about as much power.

one thing i noticed and i'm going to fix when i get money is that on my AEM dry setup, it gets wet when it rains. like sucking in water coming off the hood. runoff coming off windshield/hood goes straight into the airbox. one day it flash flooded here and my car wouldnt start for 2 days...and i didnt even drive it in the rain, just sat there. any way, i'd get that hood seal from garm if you order any cai. well, i'd get it any way.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007tRD View Post
I would stick with the TRD parts.The Toyota Engineers are very smart and im sure they designed their CAI to work best with their engines.Im not saying anything bad about Greddy,Apexi,HKS,or any other parts companies,but ask a honda guy if he'd rather have AEM or MUGEN...subaru with SPT...nissan with NISMO
don't kid yourself, TRD farms out the work to a rebutable manufacturer like AEM and eibach to make their parts...they just get painted red and sold thru a toyota dealer at 150% the cost of the "lesser" parts you can order online somewhere like microimageonline.com
Old 07-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
AEM makes the TRD CAI for our yaris. Only real difference other than a logo and price is the TRD comes standard with a bypass filter, while it's optional on the AEM. I got my AEM slightly used (and without 2 screws and the license plate frame) for $150. I do miss my TRD exhaust (I had the JDM version), but for the price I could have gone with a better custom setup. Which is what I will be doing.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
sleey0

For $300 I think the TRD exhaust was worth it.

At least, for my tastes as everyone is different.

I didn't realize that the CAI on a yaris was so easily soaked. Is this a common problem with all yaris that have a CAI installed?
Old 07-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
sleey0

Just ordered the hood seal and i do thank you for the heads-up!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleey0 View Post
For $300 I think the TRD exhaust was worth it.

At least, for my tastes as everyone is different.

I didn't realize that the CAI on a yaris was so easily soaked. Is this a common problem with all yaris that have a CAI installed?
The JDM version was over $360 new, I got lucky and got one used by DC sports for dyno comparison back in 2006 from a guy who only had his Yaris a few months, and they gave him the exhaust.

I didn't have more than 2 problems (both in Portland with torrents of rain, lots of rain on the road, and both times it was because of a truck with NO mud flaps who cut in front of me) in over three years with my CAI, but I left my fender liner in, and I even modified my OEM foglight cover for better airflow and air cooling. Now with the RS front end I'm not running fogs, left the openings flowing free (with guard) and I'm still fine.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
sleey0

Thanks, astroman.

For $29 I guess the hood seal can't hurt. lol

I am def leaving the fender liner in. I never intended not to - that would be stupid as the filter is so close to the tire and road.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #11
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
dont forget trd gives you 100,000 mile warranty if put on by the toyota dealer no other after market company can offer that plus a part built just for your aplication is the only way to go just have to spend the cash to get the trd parts but i have to say when i called trd a little while back for help on the spring kit i purchased they did nothing to help me with the issue of having to trim the bump stops to gain the better ride they claim you dont need too well it rode like shit till i trimmed the bump stops to gain a little bit of suspension travel that you need to get the ride back i like the products but the customer service is for shit
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
2007tRD

documentation?

im not dissagreeing with you about AEM making "some" TRD parts,but is there documentation on this?or is all this merely peoples opinons?why is the TRD cai not street legal,but AEM is?there is obviously a difference in the two products.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Quote:
im not dissagreeing with you about AEM making "some" TRD parts,but is there documentation on this?or is all this merely peoples opinons?why is the TRD cai not street legal,but AEM is?there is obviously a difference in the two products.
Only the manurfacturer can get a carb legal sticker,because toyota rebranded the AEM intake as TRD it is not street legal, if they sold it as an AEM intake it would be street legal.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Because Toyota can't get 50-state approval (thanks CA) they say it's for off road use only. Releases them from liability. AEM makes the intake for TRD for the Yaris. The TRD version just comes with the optional bypass valve (this is not opinion, fact). TRD outsources a lot of their parts. For example TRD Sportivo shocks use KYB bodies but TRD valves.

Ah got beat to it. It's hard to find "documentation" as Toyota really would rather you buy their TRD parts, as opposed to just going with who made them in the first place.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I am curious, if you were to perform a 2zz swap could you use the same TRD muffler?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #16
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
AEM making TRD intakes (actually just rebadging them) for 1NZ apps is old news. The "TRD" CAI in my xA even had a small AEM decal on the box it came in.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #17
2007tRD

The fact that an AEM sticker came on the TRD box would be enough proof...but....I would like to see inside diameter measurements to compare.I sent an e-mail to AEM tech support to verrify these allegations.

By the way,nice looking engine bay!

Last edited by 2007tRD; 07-29-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #18
sleey0

It is well known that Toyota's TRD division doesn't make the products. They hand pick the products that test the best and are the most compatible/stable with there engines.