Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
toyofez

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Power Lock Install Question

Hi everyone,

I just bought an '08 Yaris a couple of months ago. There is some great info here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

My Yaris is a base model with manual locks (I mean truly manual, no power, no central locking) and I decided to try and tackle installing actuators and a keyless entry system. There is some great info and DIY's on here for installing keyless entry systems on cars with existing power locks, but none that I could find on installing the power locks themselves.

I purchased the following kit:
http://www.slickcar.com/details/3270-keyless-entry.asp

I removed the door panel and here's what I'm looking at:

There isn't really an obvious place to mount the actuators. What I was thinking is to mount them above the blue triangular opening where it would be on the cable path. This however requires some serious bending/modifying of the mounting brackets and I would probably run into issues with the actuators hitting the brackets when they open/close.

Before I start hacking away at the door panel, I'm wondering if anyone else has tackled this type of mod before and if you have any suggestion on where to mount the actuators. Any hints or insight would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
toyofez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Take a look at post #160 in the thread below for some pictures of where I mounted my door and window actuators:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...olutely&page=9
Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
toyofez

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
CTScott,

That looks great. I think it's pretty much what I had in mind, but I was going to mount the bracket on top of the actuator, which would have been foolish :) Your solution looks pretty elegant.

Did you attempt to use the existing wiring harness and connect the actuator to that? If not, did you manage to route the actuator wires through the existing conduit between the door frame and the main body?

Thanks again for the photos!
toyofez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofez View Post
CTScott,

That looks great. I think it's pretty much what I had in mind, but I was going to mount the bracket on top of the actuator, which would have been foolish :) Your solution looks pretty elegant.

Did you attempt to use the existing wiring harness and connect the actuator to that? If not, did you manage to route the actuator wires through the existing conduit between the door frame and the main body?

Thanks again for the photos!
I had to run a few wires through the door frame for the locks and windows. It is actually pretty easy, as you can feed them in behind the connector behind the kick plate, and then you can pop the rubber sleeve off on both ends to make it easy to get the wires through.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #5
mr_robot

Drives: Yaris
Did you guys cut off the foam from the inner panel of the door panels?

With the window motor and door actuator, the foam gets in the way and can't install the door card back in place.

What is the foam piece for anyway? Sound insulation?
mr_robot is offline   Reply With Quote