Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
CanadaCraig

Drives: 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8
A few questions

Hi Yarisites!! lol

[hey that's doesn't sound very nice!!]

I'm seriously thinking of trading in a 1993 Lexus LS400 that gets about 18 MPG on average and costs about $90 CDN to fill with premium gas - FOR a super economical [but at least semi-fun to drive] car. A 5-speed Yaris RS 2 door liftback [what's wrong with saying 'hatchback'] is definitely on my list. I'm also considering the Honda FIT and the Nissan Versa. The only real concerns I have with the Yaris [because I'm sure it will be reliable and get great gas mileage] are the center mounted gauges [will mom always know how fast I'm going?! lol] and whether or not IT [as in the car itself] can get out of it's own way. Did it take long to adjust to the where the gauge pod is?! And what about entering a freeway? Has it got you closer to God?! [as in - do you say a little prayer each time?] I'm 6'3" tall about about 250 lbs. [all muscle - of course!!] Are there any other 'big guys' [or gals] on the board who drive a Yaris?! How about the seats? Are they comfy?! Some might say, "Take it for a test drive and find out for yourself!!" And I will... but seat comfort [or lack of it] doesn't usually reveal itself until AFTER you have OWNED the a car for awhile.

What top 5 things do you LIKE about your Yaris - AND what top 5 things DON'T you like?!

Thanks for the help.
Craig!! :)
CanadaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Chaad32

Drives: 2007 Liftback
To answer the guage pod question....it did not take long (about 2 days) for me to get used to the center pod.

To answer the entering the freeway probolem.....at low RPM's it is kind of sluggish but when you are on the interstate it passes fairly well for an econo car. (I don't say a little prayer...it feels bigger that it is)

Can't answer the big guy question cus i'm only 150....but I have plenty of room and my 250 lb brother drove it for a test and had no probolem.

The seats ae very comfy.....they have good side support and hip support. Although I recomend test driving a Yaris before buying (even if it isn't the type you want for instance a hatchback versus a sedan). I know you said that it doesn't reveal itself in a test drive....so I can say from having drivin on a 200 mile trip that it is really good for what it is. It is no Caddy, but it is deffinately good enough. Remember that if it doesn't feel right there is always the option to change the seats or buy accessories like back support pillows for trips. They sell these at any aut store or Wal-Mart.
Floor mats, Weathertech vent visors
Chaad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
yes, mom will know how fast you are going ;) but the center gauges are easy to look at when driving, and i find them to be better than other center gauge cars i have driven (saturn ION, echo) something about them not being slanted twords the driver...although that maybe does give the passenger a better look at them ><

and the acceleration onto the freeway is fine, aslong as you arnt entering from a crossstreet type, and have an onramp, once you start accelerating, and get past the first low rpm's, it will just want to keep ripping up to about 85 :p

im 6'1" and about 230, and i was plesntly suprised at the accomadations of the seats, as chaad said, there is good side support, and good hip support, really huggs well, the day i go the car, i took it on a 350 mile trip, and was really suprised at how comfortable it was to drive, i would have not gotten out to streatch at all if the girlfriend didnt have to take a pit stop every 100 miles :) wouldnt have even had to get out to fill the tank ;)

as for likes and dislikes...hrm...wow, its really hard for me to think of anyhting inparticular right now, lets just say that i am very satisfied with the car as of now, and nothing was so bad as to cause me a problem when driving, if i think of anyhting else, i'll let you know ;)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
The guages are suprisingly easy to get used to and the worrying about mom seeing you, well she would figure out anyway.

Getting into the interstate is not that bad like they said above however I would like to add that I have a stick and therefore a lot more control over it....I can zoom on just fine.

Top 5 Things:
Inpossible to list....love too much

Top 5 Dislikes:
1) No Keyless Entry with S Sedan even with the Power Package
2) No Fog Lights with S Sedan and I hear Liftback from the dealer without being added later or waiting a buttload of time to gets your custom ordered.
3) "Premium" Stereo a bit blah and the front doors puke easy even at half volume
4) S Sedan does not come with cubby in front of steering wheel
5) Clutch can be weird (even tho it kicks ass...sorry I don't have the time to elaborate...have to get the kids supper)

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
Chaad32

Drives: 2007 Liftback
5 dislikes
--- Power package availiability
--- no plastic coverings in tire well
--- no tachometer (even though I have an auto)
--- no temp guage
--- no side door mouldings

5 things I love
--- Great on gas
--- Fun to drive
--- Inexpensive
--- MP3 and WMA CD player
--- Styling is better in my opinion than the Honda and the Nissan

If it means anything , it took me 20 sec. to come up with the 5 things I like (and I could have kept going) and it took me several min to come up with the 5 things I disliked. This is a great car for the money!
Floor mats, Weathertech vent visors
Chaad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:38 PM   #6
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
I agree with what has been said. I enjoy driving the yaris and find it very roomy for the size.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:10 AM   #7
CanadaCraig

Drives: 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8
Hi Chaad32, johnnyfive, fnkngrv and boxerboy!! :)

Thanks for the input.

I finally test drove a Yaris RS 2-door with the manual transmission. I also tested a 6-speed Nissan Versa and an automatic Honda FIT.

You can find out what I thought about all those cars in my 'I test drove....' message. [if you like]

Thanks again,
Craig!! :)
CanadaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:14 AM   #8
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I am a 6ft. 4in. 320 lb. ex kickboxer and I fit perfectly in my Sedan S. The seats get even more comfortable as you drive one.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #9
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
The gauge pod position is not ideal, but it's not a deal breaker either.

The seats are okay, but the seating position is too high, imo - I'm 6' and usually sit pretty upright. I fixed this by installing my own seat.

The Yaris' acceleration (at least in manual) does not make freeway onramp merging scary in any way. The car is actually quite peppy.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #10
mrlam

Drives: Yaris
6 things I like:
Stylish(this small car draw a lot of ppls attention, expectly grils )
Great on gas(150km only move one block)
Comfortable(I fully loaded my car, very comfort inside)
1.5L(This engine out of my expectation, very good enough in town)
Toyota(Dependable, check J.D. Power you should find out)
Easy to affort(I fully load and got everythings plus 16' wheels and tax $22800

3 things dislike:
1.5L(No problem go to calgary, but vancouver i will rent a car, slightly not
enough for highway)
suspension(you might feel a bit too bump)
RS come without front skirt(That is the reason i chose LE, I can buy a whole set later)

Hope these infos make you more easy to chooes
mrlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:55 AM   #11
makelikemorning

Drives: 2007 Barcelona Red Yaris Sedan
I haven't taken posession of my Yaris yet, but I own an Echo as well, which has the same center-mounted display. If you ask me, all cars should have this feature. It's great. No more peering around the steering wheel to get a clear idea of how fast you're going or whatever. It took me all of a day or two to grow accustomed to it.
makelikemorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:10 AM   #12
featherz

Drives: 2007 Liftback Yaris Bayou Blue
I traded in a Jeep Wrangler (which I LOVED, but the gas was killing me).. With the Yaris, I like everything about it with the exception of the power - am used to a 6 cylinder engine. Also worried about the 'snow days' and how it will handle and where to get chains, but the car is adorable, gets great mileage and I honestly don't even notice the center 'pod'. Plus it has lots of little storage pockets and plenty of passenger room for such a small car.
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:51 AM   #13
PSU Yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv
Top 5 Dislikes:
1) No Keyless Entry with S Sedan even with the Power Package
2) No Fog Lights with S Sedan and I hear Liftback from the dealer without being added later or waiting a buttload of time to gets your custom ordered.
3) "Premium" Stereo a bit blah and the front doors puke easy even at half volume
1) My S Sedan has keyless entry with the power package
2) A yaris at my work has fog lights on it
3) My speakers kick ass. The full potential only really comes out when using the ipod or cd player. the radio sounds like crap as far as bass is concerned.

i guess it just depends where you get your yaris to get certain features
PSU Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #14
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Yaris
1) My S Sedan has keyless entry with the power package
2) A yaris at my work has fog lights on it
3) My speakers kick ass. The full potential only really comes out when using the ipod or cd player. the radio sounds like crap as far as bass is concerned.

i guess it just depends where you get your yaris to get certain features
1) Keyless Entry - I could have gotten it installed from the Dealer however it didn't come with it off the assembly line which might be a regional thing.
2) Fog Lights - You would need to verify if that Yaris didn't have the dealer install, once again I have heard this is a regional thing which is utter and upsets me greatly because it makes no F'in sense at all.
3) Speakers - I have found that they work great with Trance, House, Acid Jazz, so much and so forth...in other words anything Electronica however if I listen to heavy duty rap, hip hop, reggae and the likes they do not like the bass and mids too much at all....now this is only with the fronts...the rear 6x9s handle just fine.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #15
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
For me the gauge cluster was easy to get use to.

I am 6'2" and weigh about 320, and the car is comfortable for me.

The engine is peppy enough to drive on the highway, if you want real acceleration all you need to do is downshift. Not a sportscar, but good enough.

My only dislike is that it didn't come with a tach, but that was fixed easily enough.

Oh yea, and the fact that I don't have enough money to really mod it.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:37 PM   #16
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv
1) Keyless Entry - I could have gotten it installed from the 3) Speakers - I have found that they work great with Trance, House, Acid Jazz, so much and so forth...in other words anything Electronica however if I listen to heavy duty rap, hip hop, reggae and the likes they do not like the bass and mids too much at all....now this is only with the fronts...the rear 6x9s handle just fine.
You should only be listening to trance, house and acid techno anyways!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #17
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar
You should only be listening to trance, house and acid techno anyways!
boooo haha
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote