Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
The Marshall

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5-Door, Black
URGENT Advice Needed! Relating to Power Steering, Alternator and Electrical.

Good morning everyone,

I have had a very strange problem today and urgently need advice on what I need to do about it. I commute to work every day by highway and have to drive my mom to the airport, and need to know if my Yaris is safe, hence the urgency

First, a little bit of background. I have had alternator issues before and have had the alternator and the battery replaced almost exactly one year ago.

The weather was terrible today and when getting in my car I didn't realize how wet and cold the windows were and they were foggy, so like an idiot I put down and back up the power windows about 3 - 4 times before giving up and using my winter brush on them. When driving out of the parking lot I noticed my headlights were dimming a bit on and off, just like when I had a bad alternator. The electrical system light did not trigger so I thought maybe I just drained the system and it would recharge on my drive. I drove 12 km at highway speed and kept having the issues with the lights, it was so bad even the speedometer and tach backlight was dimming. I turned off the heat and defrost and popped off my stereo's faceplate... everything to help it charge up. I wasn't extremely worried because I drove this way for weeks when I had a bad alternator.

I stopped for a few minutes off the highway to pick up a friend, and didn't shut off the engine because I wasn't sure it would start if I did. When turning out of the driveway, I lost power steering halfway through my turn, then it came back seconds later. I was looking for somewhere to park obviously after that happened, and lost it again while turning into a gas station.

I then tried to get roadside assistance which I pay for with my insurance, with a HORRIBLE insurance company who were unable to help me out (long story). Because I get paid at 2:30 AM today I couldn't afford a tow truck and had to drive home (which I did at 30km going a long way so I could make only right turns).

Anyways, when I started up my car again to go home, it started fine and everything was good. My lights were solid and I had no steering issues whatsoever. When I got home I turned on all my lights, heating and put the radio back on and sat there for five minutes with no flickering or dimming whatsoever.

No trouble lights came on AT ALL this whole time.

What caused this? Has this happened to anyone before? Is my car safe to drive on the highway or with my mom tomorrow?

I'm about to go move my car for the street parking (gotta switch sides), and will update if anything unusual happens in the 10 seconds I drive it for. I may also go get some gas now just to be sure the issue doesn't come back.
The Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote