Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #19
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
What ya mean cut your muffler slick? And its possibly weight on the vehicle, when my cars full which is rarely it seems I can floor it and shit doesnt move x,x
Old 10-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #20
Slick

Drives: '09 3-Dr
Send a message via MSN to Slick
Do you really want me to re-post what I just posted lol
Old 10-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #21
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I mean I cut the muffler off about an inch before the pipe went into the muffler. Then I had a shop weld on a two inch wide, about 2 feet long pipe, and then had them weld on a resonating exhaust tip.

And yes and no, its weight and its that the car is naturally slow
Nice how much did that come out to?

And I guess, I weigh like 120 pounds so I kind of fly in city traffic, no drags for me etc lol

EDIT:

? haha
Old 10-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #22
Slick

I think I paid like 30 bucks or something to get the welding done, and then another 15 for them to custom fit the bolt on tip. They had to cut the bolt on part off etc.

It doesnt matter how much weight is in the car, its a Yaris econovehicle... not a bugatti lol
Old 10-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #23
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Quote:
I think I paid like 30 bucks or something to get the welding done, and then another 15 for them to custom fit the bolt on tip. They had to cut the bolt on part off etc.

It doesnt matter how much weight is in the car, its a Yaris econovehicle... not a bugatti lol
Cool, I had a friend who apparently cut his muffler on a firefly thing was loud as shit.

And I guess, I look at it as if your car isnt anything special like corvette, ferrari, lamborghini, bugatti, ashton martin, etc it isn't anything special.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #24
Slick

Yeah, the car gets loud, but not raspy like a rice can. The resonating tip really rolls the tone into a nice deep sound.

And were not discussing cosmetics or how we think our cars look. Were discussing the fact that its a car with a tiny engine that is naturally slow. No matter how much weight or road conditions etc. Granted, it can be made quick. In rare cases it can be made fast, ex. Garm. But the standard Yaris is slow, which is why it gets a bagillion miles to the gallon and the reason why I love it so :)
Old 10-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #25
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Yeah, the car gets loud, but not raspy like a rice can. The resonating tip really rolls the tone into a nice deep sound.

And were not discussing cosmetics or how we think our cars look. Were discussing the fact that its a car with a tiny engine that is naturally slow. No matter how much weight or road conditions etc. Granted, it can be made quick. In rare cases it can be made fast, ex. Garm. But the standard Yaris is slow, which is why it gets a bagillion miles to the gallon and the reason why I love it so :)
Damn I have to check that out sounds cheaper than getting a new exhaust lol.

And I guess, I have a first gen Mustang Fastback v8 aswell I never notice but prob because I never go over 80 mph.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 PM   #26
Slick

Yes, IMO, removing the muffler is by far the cheapest route. However, and I stress this, HOWEVER, there are some draw backs and things that need to be considered. Like, because of my resonating exhaust tip I dont have a raspy/rattling can noise. I'm sure if I didnt have the tip it would be slightly "raspier" (not a word) sounding. There is a possible legal issue by not having a muffler. Texas requires a visible muffler to pass inspection. However, some inspectors will count our mid-pipe as a muffler and pass us, some will not. These are just a few things to consider. Its definitely the cheap way out, but it has is advantages and disadvantages. Me personally, I have 0 regrets and I would do it again if given the opportunity. :)
Old 10-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #27
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Yes, IMO, removing the muffler is by far the cheapest route. However, and I stress this, HOWEVER, there are some draw backs and things that need to be considered. Like, because of my resonating exhaust tip I dont have a raspy/rattling can noise. I'm sure if I didnt have the tip it would be slightly "raspier" (not a word) sounding. There is a possible legal issue by not having a muffler. Texas requires a visible muffler to pass inspection. However, some inspectors will count our mid-pipe as a muffler and pass us, some will not. These are just a few things to consider. Its definitely the cheap way out, but it has is advantages and disadvantages. Me personally, I have 0 regrets and I would do it again if given the opportunity. :)
I live in a small town so we dont even get what we call "Air care" here in Canada.

(Making sure the car is fine and doesnt over pollute) shouldn't be an issue, I got a tip on my car atm.

So all I would need is an extra piec of metal with a tip and have it all welded together to get the better sound? I don't know if its just me but my tip has an enclosed thing inside so it slightly sounds different because the air comes out being compressed kinda. Gotta go real fast to hear it or hear it barely on idle.

Thanks for the tips man.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #28
Slick

No problem. Since you were fixing to drop 600 bucks on an exhaust kit, doing this mod will be a breeze. For a little extra, an exhaust shop should be able to make u a custom axle-back system. Where instead of cutting off the muffler like I did, they just un-bolt the muffler assembly at the flange point and then make a piece that bolts back up and consists of just a two inch pipe with your tip. Doing it this way lets you put back your stock exhaust if you dont like the way it sounds, without having to spend more money.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:58 AM   #29
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Can't comment on how the Yaris would sound/perform with a resonated tip replacing the muffler... but I remember doing this with my Datsun 240Z way back when. I had a header and an Ansa exhaust system with a midpipe resonator. I eventually removed the rear Ansa muffler and simply replaced it with an Ansa dual-resonated tip. The car was quite loud but sounded great!

BTW, the Ansa dual-resonated tip looked very similar to this one by Monza:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psm-95-9917_w.jpg (9.1 KB, 56 views)
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:09 AM   #30
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Can't comment on how the Yaris would sound/perform with a resonated tip replacing the muffler... but I remember doing this with my Datsun 240Z way back when. I had a header and an Ansa exhaust system with a midpipe resonator. I eventually removed the rear Ansa muffler and simply replaced it with an Ansa dual-resonated tip. The car was quite loud but sounded great!

BTW, the Ansa dual-resonated tip looked very similar to this one by Monza:
CRAZY how the hell do you get that and hows it work?

Welded on like 200 dollars I am guessing?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #31
Slick

200 bucks is pretty steep. I think I paid in total like $50 for the shop to cut a pipe, make some bends and a few welds. Even that was a bit much because the welds were kind of ugly. A muffler shop could probably make u that complete replacement pipe bit for around 100. Maybe a little more. Shop around, but $200 for what your wanting to do is too much IMO.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #32
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Hmm I will have to search my small town has like one Auto Shop but ive never gone to it I think they do everything there.

I used to work at my dads friends auto shop doing welding problem is I dont have my own gear or I'd do it myself lol
Old 10-19-2010, 01:30 AM   #33
kimona
Super Moderator

Resonated Monza tips are available from many vendors for about $50-75.

Remove the muffler and fab a pipe with the tip should cost about $100 total.

Here are some resonated Monza tips: http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/tips.htm
Old 10-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #34
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Resonated Monza tips are available from many vendors for about $50-75.

Remove the muffler and fab a pipe with the tip should cost about $100 total.

Here are some resonated Monza tips: http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/tips.htm
Reccommendd size? 2 inches? The dual tubes nice any idea if youtube has vids on these things sound?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:46 AM   #35
kimona
Super Moderator

I'd go with the dual 3" outlets... in which case you'll have to get the 2 1/4" inlet. Nevertheless, simply fab a 2" exhaust pipe to fit the inlet.

While you may find a youtube for the Monza tips, the sound won't duplicate this custom set-up.