Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-14-2010, 12:01 AM   #19
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Didn't mean it like that, I meant we might have to look for our own answers since he hasnt been back to the thread. I am eyeing those red ones though any idea if they will work?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:08 AM   #20
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
I have a LB, so a few of mine will be somewhat different. The wedge-type 194 LEDs go into the map lights. The festoon bulb (or the LED cluster with an adjustable festoon type connector) goes into the dome.

In my license plate light, it is another 194 wedge type. In my cargo area it's another festoon bulb. In another thread I posted exactly what I ordered for mine, but I did order from www.superbrightleds.com.

Then it just comes down to how bright you want it and what color you want. There is also the degree of coverage for the festoons, as some have all around coverage, some have 90 degree, some have 120 degree.

I will post more exact information if you need it, but I am not exactly sure of the festoon sizes. They were different for the dome and cargo area. Dome was 32mm and the cargo area was 37mm I believe. There are cross references on the superbright site.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:57 AM   #21
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

What is the name of the 3 lights in the inside of the vehicle

the two push ones and the switch one that turns on with the door opening

those are the bulbs I need x,x in red
Old 10-14-2010, 01:11 AM   #22
pspeezy

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Kevin. View Post
What is the name of the 3 lights in the inside of the vehicle

the two push ones and the switch one that turns on with the door opening

those are the bulbs I need x,x in red
the two push ones in the front are called map lights,
and the switch one in the middle is called a dome light,

(and obviously trunk light(s) is/are inside the trunk and license plate lights are the ones above your license plate)

im ordering my lights on friday, im not sure if it is different for 09 to 10, but the only festoon bulb i need is for my dome light, and the rest are 194 wedge type bulbs (map, trunk, and i believe on my license lights as well but not 100% sure)

for the festoon bulb for my dome light, i measured today in my car with a ruler, centimeters then converted to milimeters (1 centimeter = 10 milimeters) to know exactly what size (in milimeters) the festoon bulb should be.

(i suggest you do the same to be 100% sure, cause i feel more comfortable ordering my bulbs now that i have opened all of them up and checked them out)
pspeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:13 AM   #23
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeezy View Post
the two push ones in the front are called map lights,
and the switch one in the middle is called a dome light,

(and obviously trunk light(s) is/are inside the trunk and license plate lights are the ones above your license plate)

im ordering my lights on friday, im not sure if it is different for 09 to 10, but the only festoon bulb i need is for my dome light, and the rest are 194 wedge type bulbs (map, trunk, and i believe on my license lights as well but not 100% sure)

for the festoon bulb for my dome light, i measured today in my car with a ruler, centimeters then converted to milimeters (1 centimeter = 10 milimeters) to know exactly what size (in milimeters) the festoon bulb should be.

(i suggest you do the same to be 100% sure, cause i feel more comfortable ordering my bulbs now that i have opened all of them up and checked them out)
What ya mean measure it, and does that mean that last link I posted with the Red LEDS will fit on the map and dome lights?
Old 10-14-2010, 01:30 AM   #24
pspeezy

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
What ya mean measure it, and does that mean that last link I posted with the Red LEDS will fit on the map and dome lights?
for the festoon bulb for the dome light, they have it in different lengths, so if you order the wrong one it might be too long or too short. the measurement they use to measure the festoon bulbs are in milimeters.

for those red lights you posted in the link,
i honestly have no clue if those will work, because the thing that makes me iffy on those bulbs is the way they are designed. if you open up your dome light cover in your car, and take a look at your stock bulb, you will see what im talking about and how they look different.

i am also new to these light bulbs and knowing what is what, so i am not 100% sure, and you might want to wait for somebody who does know 100% to get a confirmation on that.

a festoon bulb looks like this.
for my car (which might be different from yours but im not sure) im ordering the
'3022-xHP4
31 x 10mm festoon bulb with 4 High Power SMD LEDs' for my dome light.

edit: im actually ordering the '3022-x4 & 3022-x9
31 x 10mm festoon, 4 or 9 x 3mm LED, 30 degree beam' bulb for my dome light because the high power festoon bulb doesnt have the color i want
pspeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:34 AM   #25
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeezy View Post
so let me get this straight, 194 wedge type for map, trunk, and license plate lights?
(for my 09 yaris sedan, thats 2 map lights, 2 license plate lights, 1 trunk light)
so when buying bulbs for these 5 lights, i should buy 5 of the same kind, correct?
then just a festoon bulb for the dome light?

also what does 'IIRC' mean?
Yes, that is correct. However, I suggest getting a strip for the trunk and use a 194 holder. A single 194 LED won't illuminate the trunk very well.

Yup, that festoon I posted for the dome light.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:46 AM   #26
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Thanks for all the links, atm I wanna change the two in the front that you push to turn on and the one in the middle of the roof inside, red would be nice got any link to that and how do I go abouts taking those covers off without damaging anything.

Thanks for dedicating the time, I actually like all the stock lights on the exterior
Take a thin flat head screw driver. Look at the map/dome light covers, You'll see some "lines" at the edges (of the long side I believe). Insert the screw driver there, and gently pry off. If you'd like, remind me after 10 am (Pacific time) later today, and I'll take pics of the process.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:48 AM   #27
Kaotic Lazagna

Don't think the model year on the sedans are different for light bulbs, btw.

Oh, and for the one that ask, "IIRC" means "if I remember correctly."
Old 10-14-2010, 04:56 AM   #28
Kaotic Lazagna

For the footwell lighting, splice into the wires seen here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=14

So, splice the positive wire into the blue, and the negative/ground wire to the pink wire.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:00 AM   #29
Kaotic Lazagna

I also made my own LED strip for the rear feet area (since changed to two LEDs instead of three).

For this, I just spliced the wires on the LED footwells and ran the wires as seen:

They're attached to the bottom of the front strips via velcro.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:01 AM   #30
Kaotic Lazagna

^ Yeah, I had a few spare 194 LEDs laying around, figured might as well use them. lol.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:06 AM   #31
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Well good news is before reading your thing I went to my car and grabbed my screw driver and I managed to easily take off the 3 plastics so I know how to do that now.

As for the bulb I tried to twist and pull gently and just pull it didnt come out, how exactly do I get it out.

And could I possibly get someone to give me the correct link to the bulbs I need to get this done.

I was also looking for the plug in under the steering wheel above the pedals and I couldnt find the thing where the ecometre apparently plugs in
Old 10-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #32
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Well good news is before reading your thing I went to my car and grabbed my screw driver and I managed to easily take off the 3 plastics so I know how to do that now.

As for the bulb I tried to twist and pull gently and just pull it didnt come out, how exactly do I get it out.

And could I possibly get someone to give me the correct link to the bulbs I need to get this done.

I was also looking for the plug in under the steering wheel above the pedals and I couldnt find the thing where the ecometre apparently plugs in
Try wearing rubber gloves to remove the bulbs from the map lights (they're a little hard to remove if you have sweaty or oil finger tips). The dome light one should come off easily by pulling down.

Here is the you need for the map lights (just order 1 qty as they come in a pair): http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...78377-1-2.html

This is for the dome light: http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...08258-1-2.html

They're both 6000k in color, so it should be the same as the ones I have for my map and dome lights (my trunk is 5000k, and I have no clue what the footwells are, but I'm assuming they're 8000k in color temp).
Old 10-14-2010, 05:23 AM   #33
Kaotic Lazagna

Oh, and the wires are located behind the coin compartment. You'll have to remove it to see the wires.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:34 AM   #34
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Do they have the same lights but in Red, I noticed on the site they have a red option on the side.

and coin compartment, you mean the side pocket thing bottom right of the steering wheel.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:42 AM   #35
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Do they have the same lights but in Red, I noticed on the site they have a red option on the side.

and coin compartment, you mean the side pocket thing bottom right of the steering wheel.
I mean that pull out compartment to the bottom left of the steering wheel.

Here are some red ones.

Clearance price for this for the map lights, although I'm not sure if they will fit: http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...10359-1-2.html

Here's a red version of the one I posted earlier for the map light: http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...00687-1-2.html

Red one for the dome light: http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...98487-1-2.html
Old 10-14-2010, 05:43 AM   #36
Kaotic Lazagna

Time to sleep, gotta get up in 4 hours.