Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
schreck

Drives: 2009
Question Stick On or In Channel Visors

This is a question that has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find it offhand.

I want to get vent visors for my windows since rain has a nasty tendency to drip inside.

I had the stick ons with my Mazda and they did okay; however, I would like to try the in channel versions. My previous experience with an old Dodge Omni was less than spectacular but that also was 20 years ago when visors were made of aluminum.

This is where the problem begins. I've seen several positive and negative stories about the in channel versions, but nothing specific to the Yaris (it's an 09 5 door hatch).

Has anybody had any window binding with the in-channel versions or any other problems?
schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
I've had Weathertech in-channel vent visors on my 5-door '09 LB since December. Haven't had any problems with the windows sticking or "binding" with the vent visors.

I've just recently gotten my windows tinted and didn't have any problems with that either.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
schreck

Drives: 2009
sounds like a go to me then. now to find the cheapest price!
schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
BLAZINBLUEVITZ has had two instances of Weathertech in-channel visors coming out while driving. I think he is the only one who has reported any such issues. I have Toyota in-channels (basically identical to Weathertech) which have been on for 1 year now with no issues. Only complaint is that they will be the source of a rattle when windows are partly rolled down.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
IsLNdbOi

That was with the Weathertech in-channels for the 3-door LB. I had problems with the Weathertech in-channels for the 3-door LB as well.

Haven't had any problems with the Weathertech in-channels for the 5-door LB. I think this has to do with the in-channel visors being shorter for the 5-door LB than for the 3-door LB (3-door LB has bigger doors than the 5-door LB) or it could be they have more tension keeping them in.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
I have the Weather-Tech in-channel for my 3-door. They've been on there almost a year without issue.

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
IsLNdbOi

There's another company that makes these. The company is called Lund / AutoVentShade. What they do is stick strips of 3M weatherproof double-sided tape on the vent visor flanges that go into the channels.

After my unfortunate experience with the Weathertech in-channels for the 3-door LB, I tried the ones made by Lund / AutoVentShade.

Lund / AutoVentShade doesn't make a set yet for the 5-door LB so I got the WeatherTech ones and put 3M weatherproof double-sided tape on the flanges as well. No problems so far with them shifting or moving.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
Mine came with the 3-M tape.

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
IsLNdbOi

Yeah, the ones I got for my 5-door LB had the 3M tape on the visors for the rear windows.

I think they started adding 3M tape on the visors after getting complaints from people who had problems with the visors (BlazinBlue, me, etc.).
Old 04-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
My Toyota set came with 3M tape on the rears as well. Nothing for the fronts. Just relying on one hell of a press fit to hold them in. They are a bit jiggly so I may add a little 3M up front eventually for piece of mind.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Have weathertec for our 08 liftback and have not had any problems at all. So far so good.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
I have the ones with the 3m tape on my 2007 sedan and have had no problems what so ever for the past 2 and half years but I do recommend you follow the instructions with using the wipes to clean the area and do it on a warm day, 60 or so plus. I've used both types on various cars and think I prefer the 3m tape ones as I've had the same problems as stated before with the in channel visors.

I wouldn't have a car without them in the summer so I can leave the windows cracked and keep the heat from building up.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #13
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
BLAZINBLUEVITZ has had two instances of Weathertech in-channel visors coming out while driving. I think he is the only one who has reported any such issues. I have Toyota in-channels (basically identical to Weathertech) which have been on for 1 year now with no issues. Only complaint is that they will be the source of a rattle when windows are partly rolled down.
make that 3 INSTANCES now and im pissed. over the nice weekend i had my windows down and driver's side just fell out of channel and scratched my door AGAIN. i was hoping to save it this time and sent it back but the cheap plastc shattered into 25 pieces making it useless. im at a standstill now with what im going to do.....
Old 04-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
I'd like to joi BlazinBlueVitz experience. I'm driving back home on the freeway, just entered the freeway and my left weathertech visor slips right off with the window about half way down. The lady driving the Lexus RX suv gets whacked with it on her windshield....ooops O_O....

I'm gonna try the 3M stick on ones now as I will have this car, forever~
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
IsLNdbOi

Yes, definitely try the in-channel ones that have the 3M tape (they stick to the insides of the window channels).

Or you can add 3M tape to your in-channels if you still have those.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #16
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
WeatherTech in channels - had them in for about a year without issue. No 3m tape either.

Only thing I've noticed is when the windows get dirty and you roll down/up the window you can hear the dirt grinding against the plastic of the vent shield. No biggie, I just clean out the channel with a screwdriver wrapped in a micro-fiber cloth and the dirty grinding sound is gone.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #17
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
i must have a problem with my window channel itself. i mean ive lost 3 within the past 2 years....
Old 04-21-2009, 06:04 PM   #18
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZINBLUEVITZ View Post
i must have a problem with my window channel itself. i mean ive lost 3 within the past 2 years....
That is strange. Mine won't come out easily as I have to bend and pry to get them out. This might be a stupid question, but you've got both the top and front edges of the visor stuck in the channel right?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote