Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Arthur

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Small dents on rear bumper

Hi, I have two small dents on my rear bumper as a result of another car lightly bumping me while I was parked. The bumper is not cracked, it's just scratched. I have smoothed the dents with fine sanding paper.

My question is (please keep in mind I'm a total noob): should I buy one of those touch paints in the small bottle or would it be easier buying spray paint or with a brush perhaps?

What's the best way to handle this? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yaris scratch.jpg (80.1 KB, 104 views)
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I had a similar scratch on my bumper, I used the touch up paint from the dealer.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
this would be a good time to think about either laying some vinyl or paint racing stripes

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Go to automotivetouchup.com Purchase a can of paint by your color code. Watch their instructional video. Its not difficult to repaint the smaller area yourself. Just mask it off. Primer it. Sand it lightly with 1000 grit sandpaper. Then paint several thin light coats of basecoat allowing to dry for 20 minutes and sanding with 1000 grit inbetween. Dry time really depends on the humidity and temperature. When done let dry for atleast 30 minutes. Then apply clearcoat. I use dupicolor brand from any auto parts store for about 5 bucks. Apply several thin layers. Then let it dry for 24 hours. Then sand gently with 2000 grit sand paper till even. Then polish with rubbing compound i recomend meguires ultimate compound. FInally dont wax the area for atleast a month to allow the paint to cure.

Ive painted an entire hood using this method and the paint on the hood and the paint came out a dead match. Looks no different than if it was taken to a professional bodyshop cept i saved hundreds of dollars.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
likely won't look right unless you paint the entire bumper....or a very large section that terminates at a crease/change-of-direction in the bumper
Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
Arthur

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Thanks for your help. I have a related question: how do I take the rear bumper off the car?
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
Thanks for your help. I have a related question: how do I take the rear bumper off the car?
not sure....likely a series of clips and screws....get at it from the bottom and inside of the hatch, i wager