Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Mitsubishi small car concept previews new Colt - likely a return to America

Mitsubishi Global Small Concept

Quote:
The seventh-generation Mitsubishi Colt is well overdue for a replacement, and here in Geneva, Mitsu took the wraps off what's likely to form its next B-segment player.

As you'd suspect from its unimaginative name, the Global Small Concept is being developed for worldwide consumption, and spans a squat 147 inches and a relatively narrow 66 inches wide, with power provided by a three-cylinder MIVEC gasoline engine. Once the official production model debuts early next year, 1.0- and 1.2-liter three-pots will be available, along with start-stop tech and regenerative braking. And with a vehicle this small, it's all but assured that Mitsubishi will take some of the lessons learned from its i-MiEV project to produce an all-electric model.

While the U.S. hasn't seen a Colt on our shores for nearly two decades, we've been told that Mitsubishi is actively considering bringing its next sub-compact to the States, and we should know for sure by this time next year.
Not bad. Mitsubishi needs a serious boost in the US, maybe this will help.

Seems like we're seeing a flood of small cars lately. Good!

Last edited by Kal-El; 03-01-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I like it. The headlights are LEDs that's awesome
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
hell yes
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
I'll believe it when I see it here in the US...

My brother used to work for Mitsu US Corp office and he told me that several years ago, they contemplated pulling out of the US market completely.

The new Lancer saved them, but that's now considered dated. No Galant. There's the $35k+ EVO, but that's also getting dated.

Maybe the Colt will save them?
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
We had COLTS , CHAMPS , and a Eagle SUMMIT sedan . Would consider one depending on the gas mileage . Could pick up a used Colt / Champ for $150 and give it a tune up , oil change , and other minor repairs and then run it / them for a few years . The memories are flooding back .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
SailDesign

Drives: .
We had a Vista when the kids were at home - great little car, died protecting its occupants when kid #1 took here little brother for a piano lesson, and had an accident.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Sorry to see that , we liked the looks of VISTA , SUMMIT wagon , and the COLT station wagon . We still see the SUMMIT wagons on occasion . We had the 1.4 , 1.6 and the 1.5 . Our favorite was the 1.4 , followed by the 1.6.. We bought an 1.6 ltr. '82 CHAMP 3 door with the twin stick for $150 , which was a 4 speed manual with a shifting lever on the floor for ECONONY and POWER mode that dropped the gear ratio for climbimg hills and going through snow . That thing could go through large amounts of snow with ease in that mode . The studded Cooper Weathermaster snows helped as well . Liked those tires better than the ST-2s . They had more bite .

Last edited by Hershey; 03-02-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I think the Global Small is a snoozefest. I really dig Mitsubishi product, but this is a sleepy concept.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I used to have an '88 Colt 4 speed manual, loved that little car.

The new one looks "okay". LED headlights are cool. Rest is meh.

33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
I think the Global Small is a snoozefest. I really dig Mitsubishi product, but this is a sleepy concept.
It's fairly conservative but no more so than a Yaris. Simple is always better than ugly, which a lot of cars are becoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33OH View Post

The new one looks "okay". LED headlights are cool. Rest is meh.
Thing is, the production version is unlikely to have full LED headlights.

So the conservative car we see here is only going to be plainer in production.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
Now that ride is hot, gotta love the headlight thou
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
dibs
Old 03-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
If that car shows up here in the US I will eat my hat.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #14
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
awesome.....so small i'll have to take two to get everyone around.....kinda like my yaris now.

i like the whole thing. headlights, tail lights, doors, windows, windshield...it's all good.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #15
fluke_boy

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 dr hb
Owned an early 90s Sigma. Loved the engine and auto transmission but it's air filter was expensive. The front U joints went bad and I was taken to the cleaners by an unscrupulous repair shop (Merit Tech) in Durham, NC. The only Mitsu dealership was ran by an evil repair manager that claimed the tranny was bad and that I had to get a new car. Swore off Mitsus after that That particular dealership lost it's Mitsu cars and just sold domestics after a year went by. Merit Tech was still around ripping off its customers. That was when I started driving Toyotas. I've never looked back since then.
fluke_boy is offline   Reply With Quote