Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 AM   #1
Rahxephon

Drives: Vitz RS
Unhappy Legal advice needed

I need a legal advice.

To make things short, my car was in an accident. I took my car to a body shop. After I got it back, I wasn't satisfied with the results. I posted the experiences I had with that auto body shop on various internet forums.

I took my car back there again. They said they would fix some of the issues for free, but made sure I'm aware they're not responsible for some of dissatisfactions I had from the previous results.

Now after I received my car back from them, they demand that I fully retract the things I posted on the forums. Otherwise, they implied they may sue me for defamation. I took some of my words back, but I don't feel comfortable deleting the whole threads. Many things I posted still hold true and I feel like customers should be as informed as possible. Because after I took my car to that body shop, many people told me I shouldn't have. To this day, I still regret not asking many people for advice before I took my car to that body shop.

What should I do? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

The detailed story is here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7421
Rahxephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:45 AM   #2
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
Why don't you go to a lawyer if you need legal advice? I don't see how they can sue you though, personally.. there are lots of people out there on the internet posting negative comments about a variety of businesses.

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:03 AM   #3
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
They probably would not win a defamation case against you unless you over did your review of their poor service or exaggerated with intent of defaming their business. You can also sue them for not fixing up your car properly...
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
I say call there bluff!
Old 09-22-2007, 02:20 AM   #5
Rahxephon

Drives: Vitz RS
Question

Update: Thank you all for the replies. I received an apology today. This problem is solved now, I guess (???). Should I still call a lawyer about it, though?

Last edited by Rahxephon; 09-22-2007 at 02:44 AM.
Rahxephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:06 AM   #6
Ferret_san
Hack.... What hack ??

Drives: 07 YR
My humble opinion is that you should let it be....but if you honestly still feel you've got an axe to grind or just want to protect yourself, go see a layer. Get some info on your situtation, be informed so that if/when they pull some smart ass shit on you, you know how to handle yourself.

Don't let it eat away at your insides like some gigantic tapeworm waiting for its next meal...or keep you awake at nights, then when you do fall asleep, wake up screaming in a cold sweat...being bitter and twisted because every other forum member has their nice-shiney-yaris-parked-in-their-driveway and yours in stuck some frikk'n boat in the middle of frikk'n...opps sorry, that's my life...

Honestly, there are plenty of other things in life to get upset over, but only yuo can say if this is one of them.

Last edited by Ferret_san; 09-22-2007 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Brown bag...brown bag... I'm hyperventilating
Ferret_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
They were probably just doing that so you'd remove your comments and you'd never do so again. Seriously, if there is no reason now to go to a lawyer, I wouldn't. Their fees are crazy and if you were to even ask them if you should pursue something, of COURSE they're going to say you should so they can get some $$ from you.

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahxephon View Post
I need a legal advice.

To make things short, my car was in an accident. I took my car to a body shop. After I got it back, I wasn't satisfied with the results. I posted the experiences I had with that auto body shop on various internet forums.

I took my car back there again. They said they would fix some of the issues for free, but made sure I'm aware they're not responsible for some of dissatisfactions I had from the previous results.

Now after I received my car back from them, they demand that I fully retract the things I posted on the forums. Otherwise, they implied they may sue me for defamation. I took some of my words back, but I don't feel comfortable deleting the whole threads. Many things I posted still hold true and I feel like customers should be as informed as possible. Because after I took my car to that body shop, many people told me I shouldn't have. To this day, I still regret not asking many people for advice before I took my car to that body shop.

What should I do? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

The detailed story is here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7421
As long as what you stated is the truth, you have nothing to worry about. Their argument wont have any teeth as long as you have proof to back up you claims. I would laugh at them and tell them to take me to court, but I will win and ou will lose. You need evidence though and you need to always be honest.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #9
vacantj

Drives: Yaris 4Dr sedan
small claims court..
vacantj is offline   Reply With Quote