Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #19
salmonz

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
You visually inspected and could actually see that both axles were bent?

I'd like to see pictures.
They were wobbling and inferring they're bent. The driver side wobbles more so than the passenger side. When you look at when it spins it doesn't stay still spinning but wobbles.

Similar to youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzI-V...eature=related

If you put a dial indicator against the axle shaft you would definitely notice runout.
salmonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #20
salmonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyG View Post
did you look at your tires themselves and make sure you dont have a separated belt?
Tires looked good and inspected them today. Note, they are Michelin Harmony tires. I felt the same with my Michelin X-Ice tires.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #21
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonz View Post
Nope.. but it seems that way.

I think two events that may have caused this.

First - About a year ago, I hit a pothole on the highway on the passenger side. It was a loud thud and had my rim replaced.

Second - About 6 months ago, I hit a fallen light post on the driver side. I called the police and reported it. I went to the dealership a day after to get my front end inspected. Toyota said the car is as good as new.

I stopped going to the dealership because they always tell me B/S and make me pay for every little thing. Four months ago I bought new tires, rims, brakes, and rotors, and got everything roadforce balanced.

Did some research on new axle assemblies and I'm looking at $1200 for new genuine Toyota parts. If I went to the dealer, I would be charged $1500. So I may go with aftermarket.

I don't believe that there are any aftermarket axles for the Yaris yet. I had a wicked bent one on Crashy and picked up a perfect junkyard one for $60 shipped.

The Axles are fairly easy to replace. The hardest part is braking the Axle nut loose. I destroyed a couple of 3/8" ratchets before investing in a heavy duty 1/2" breaker bar.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #22
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Looks like the inner CV joint it toast.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #23
salmonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I don't believe that there are any aftermarket axles for the Yaris yet. I had a wicked bent one on Crashy and picked up a perfect junkyard one for $60 shipped.

The Axles are fairly easy to replace. The hardest part is braking the Axle nut loose. I destroyed a couple of 3/8" ratchets before investing in a heavy duty 1/2" breaker bar.
You're right on the aftermarket. There's some on eBay for $90 each from auto recyclers.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #24
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Try and find a good used OEM one. I got a pair from Canadian tire for my old honda and they're both wobbly like that too. I even returned them for a new set and the same thing. The steering shakes like crazy at any speed over 105km/h.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote