Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-31-2010, 05:59 PM   #55
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleey0 View Post
Toyo is going 0W-20 synthetic for the 2010's.

My 2010 states in the manuel and on the oil fill cap....5w-30.Factory oil is not going to "cure" gaskets,the gasket,is as it is! no curing needed.If this was a conversation YEARS ago and a person used the old permatex form a gasket,then, yes there would be a curing time table.Synthetic oil has much better "flow" characteristics than dino...it will "find" weak points in old gaskets and funky set points in new gaskets.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:25 PM   #56
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007tRD View Post
You are absolutely correct about starting on synthetic too early,the engine requires the factory filled high detergent oil for break-in.I extensively reserched the sluge issue,and every source points back to my first post,...change your oil every time the maintenance minder light comes on.pay no attention to what anyone says regaurding changing your oil at 3000 or 5000 miles,as those are just industry standards...not Toyotas.the maintenance minder system caculates every variable possible[idle time,miles driven,engine loads,average speed]and decides by that data when you should change the oil.sludge is caused by water in the oil,it gets in there via condensation everytime you engine is shut down and the oil temp drops below 212 degrees farenheit.the longer the same oil is used the more water accumulates,this is while oil shoud be changed once a year even if the engine is never started.

I believe synthetic oil has better "cleaning" characteristics than dino!...and,modern multi grade oils are detergent!.

Just change your oil and filter.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #57
Mad Goon
New To The Import Thing..

Drives: 07 Yaris 71 Comet 69 Maverick
Send a message via AIM to Mad Goon
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
If it's a very fine internal leak most moisture probably would get burned off ( evaporate ) . So , could take a long time for it to accumulate internally . The only thing to most likely detect it early would be with a U.O.A. ( Used Oil Analysis ) . We may have to go that route .
Ah good point! Best of luck, would love to get to the bottom of this... Makes me a little wary of the old lady's car..
Mad Goon is offline   Reply With Quote