Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
manual tranny drain/fill on echo?

I've read the DIY for the Yaris manual transmission change, but was curious if everything is the same with the Echo? I know the air box is in a different location, but will the drain/fill plugs be in the same areas and use the same size(24mm) socket? My 5-speed echo is having trouble shifting into gears(3rd especially) and I bought it used so I'm not sure if the gear oil has ever been changed

It's got a little over 140k miles on it and I've got some Redline 75w-90 gl4(2 quarts) coming today. I took a look under it last night, but it was getting dark. I'm thinking I may need to remove the battery to get at the fill plug(if it's where I think it might be), but thought I would ask first before I start removing things thanks in advance!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
ya, its about the same, iirc
Old 02-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
toad

Thanks! It looks like I can see in better light 3 24mm plugs on the transmission. One facing up between the battery and the air box. One facing forward towards the front bumper(lower, but you can still see it from over the engine) and one even lower on the transmission facing towards the driver side front tire(practically on top of the left axle).

The pictures in the DIY are different from what I'm looking at. I guess it's due to the differences in the echo/Yaris. Sorry to post in general discussion, but I thought it would get more attention here.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Yes if you remove the battery there is a fill plug right under it which is much easier to use to fill the transmission once it’s drained.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
toad

thanks! i'm almost positive the lowest one(edit: directly BELOW the left axle) is the drain plug. i'm thinking the fill is either the front-facing one a couple inches higher or the one on top facing up wedged between the battery and airbox. unfortunately, my echo is a 2001 and if there were little white stickers on the plugs like the DIY they have fallen off long ago. my plan it to open the one on top first, then work my way down.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
heres what you do

Remove all the plugs starting with the top one, then the one on the side, then the bottom one to drain.

When the oil is drained replace the bottom one and fill from the top hole until oil runs out the side hole.

When oil stops running out the side hole You now have a perfect fill!

Replace the top and side plugs and youre done.