Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Security Kill Switch

I'm going to be rigging up a kill switch (possibly 2) fpor extra piece of mind when my car is left in a public parking lot all day while I'm in class. I don't want the ECU to reset when the kill switch is activated. Therefore I will be adding a kill switch to the ignition and another to the fuel pump power.

I am thinking of just wiring up a basic switch in line with the wire that delivers power. This way when the switch is off(open) it cuts the power to either the ignition or the fuel pump. When I flick the switch on (closed) everything will work as expected. I obviously will be hiding these 2 switched in places only I know about.

Will wiring the switches up this was work for my purpose I intend? I don't want anything special to happen so i don't believe I'll need a relay or fuse.

Can someone please supply me with that wires I can attached the switches to so that my kill switches work as planned. As stated above I'll be cutting the ignition and the fuel pump.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Extreme measures I'd say.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
tmontague

maybe so, but if you knew some of the things that has happened to my colleague's cars/belongings then you probably wouldn't think so.

Either way it's something that gives me a piece of mind for something that means a lot to me and will cost me next to nothing.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Security Kill Switch

My biggest concern in public lots are scratches and door dings, not coming back only to discover my car is no longer there.

Yes, it is a cheap thing and if that is what you need to keep you focused in class, then have at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #5
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
If someone wants your car theirs absolutely nothing to stop them. They'll even winch it on a platform.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:41 PM   #6
tmontague

OK, so moving on from everyone's opinions on whether they would install a kill switch in their own vehicle or not.

Does anyone have an image of the ignition wire and fuel pump wire I would attach a switch to and can I attach the switch in the way I have stated above for it to work successfully?

People have locks on their doors but yet houses still get broken into. There are things called deterrents, they are not absolute but they likely will have the criminal move on to another car. If someone wants my Yaris bad enough then ya they will figure out a way to put in on a flat bed.

Most issues in my area are of oportunity. The more opportunity I can take away the more likely my pride and joy is still there at the end of the day to take me home
Old 03-06-2016, 06:53 PM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
your car doesn't have immobilizer i take it.

the best way to install a switch would be to intercept the wire from the ECM that grounds the EFI relay. That way you don't risk any overloads on a switch.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #8
tmontague

It has an immobilizer, which is a big bonus.

Can you explain a bit more about over loading the switch? I wasn't aware that that was a potential problem. That said using the ground sounds like the easiest and best idea to be able to just put the switch somewhere along that wire
Old 03-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #9
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

If it has immobilizer than the car can not be started without the keys that have been authorized with the ECM. Evens cut key that works all the lock will not start the car. You can't evenhotwire it.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #10
tmontague

Apparently there are ways around the immobilizer within the past few years
Old 03-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #11
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

And like others have said, if they're going to the extremes of attempting to bypass the immobilizer system, they're going to steal the car one way or another.