Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
What NOT to do if your ac doesn't work.

So last week my ac went out and I paid Toyota $200 to charge it. They did and it works but they said to bring it back if it goes out again. They did evac the system and pull a vacuum and it held.

But there still might be a leak and if so, I just blew $200.

Today I was in NAPA and saw a recharge can with a built in gauge. I bet it was a LOT less than what I paid Toyota!

I wish I tried that instead!

Hindsight is always 20/20.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Yeah, when troubleshooting you should always try with the cheapest approach first.

If it helps, you should never "recharge" your AC. Why? Because AC systems are closed loop, meaning the refrigerant (freon) should be contained forever in an ideal world.
In the real world, the moment your AC goes out (the cooling doesnt work), it means there's something wrong with it--either a compressor not doing it's job, or you have not enough refrigerant.
If they say it lacks refrigerant, then it means you have a leak somewhere--be it on your evaporator, condenser, drier or somewhere in the line/piping/tubing.

And yeah, if there is too low of refrigerant pressure, the compressor might not turn on--so "recharging" the freon is a troubleshooting step for AC problems rather than a solution.

Hope this helps.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:36 PM   #3
Sirius-XM
Toyota (TM) Shareholder

Drives: 2007 Jade Yaris Sedan
There is no such things as a completely sealed system. Even under ideal situations you will lose some freon over many years. It is not a failure. You are losing freon on the molecular level but it may take five to ten years for it to effect AC performance. Also most aftermarket freon contains a mild sealant.

I thought I had suggested a freon can with a gauge in the original message.
Sirius-XM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:57 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I just refilled mine a week ago. It wasn't working very well last year and this year was only a couple degrees colder than outside. It's now ice cream headache cold. My uncle had a can of R134A I could "borrow". Just waiting on the amazon delivery in a month or so now. Can't buy 134A in Canadia only R12A <-- a new hydrocarbon based stuff you can't mix with 134A.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:56 AM   #5
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
Yeah, when troubleshooting you should always try with the cheapest approach first.

If it helps, you should never "recharge" your AC. Why? Because AC systems are closed loop, meaning the refrigerant (freon) should be contained forever in an ideal world.
In the real world, the moment your AC goes out (the cooling doesnt work), it means there's something wrong with it--either a compressor not doing it's job, or you have not enough refrigerant.
If they say it lacks refrigerant, then it means you have a leak somewhere--be it on your evaporator, condenser, drier or somewhere in the line/piping/tubing.

And yeah, if there is too low of refrigerant pressure, the compressor might not turn on--so "recharging" the freon is a troubleshooting step for AC problems rather than a solution.

Hope this helps.
They said they would pull a vacuum and see if it held. I hope thats what they did and if so, the system aught to be tight, shouldnt it?

Ah but they ALSO said "come back in 500 miles so we can check for leaks"
Old 06-06-2016, 06:01 AM   #6
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
I just refilled mine a week ago. It wasn't working very well last year and this year was only a couple degrees colder than outside. It's now ice cream headache cold. My uncle had a can of R134A I could "borrow". Just waiting on the amazon delivery in a month or so now. Can't buy 134A in Canadia only R12A <-- a new hydrocarbon based stuff you can't mix with 134A.

So....12a is available but 134a isnt? I dont think 12a is legal in the US cause its going to make the ocean submerge my house...
Old 06-06-2016, 06:04 AM   #7
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius-XM View Post
There is no such things as a completely sealed system. Even under ideal situations you will lose some freon over many years. It is not a failure. You are losing freon on the molecular level but it may take five to ten years for it to effect AC performance. Also most aftermarket freon contains a mild sealant.

I thought I had suggested a freon can with a gauge in the original message.
Didnt get the gauge part. my bad. In general though I am too decrepit to do much beyong chnging the oil twice a year.

I can change one sparkplug a week though.

And the car has been in two relatively minor accidents one on the entire right side and one frontal collision 4 and two years ago. That might have something to do with it.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
R12a is not the same as R12... FYI

It is the same as propane but cleaner for use in refrigeration systems.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote