Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #19
Soccer_Yaris

Drives: Toyota Yaris RS
My mechanic switched the bulbs in 4 minutes!! Just gotta have the right technique!
Soccer_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #20
blackphantom

Drives: 07 HatchBack Yaris
what tool do you guys recommend for taking out screw grommets and the clips?
blackphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #21
Sideways02
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I'm glad I found this place. I tried replacing my bulbs with some brighter ones and i couldn't figure out how to do it. Now that I have some knowledge, i might attempt it again. those rubber seals are a pain in the neck!
Sideways02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways02 View Post
I'm glad I found this place. I tried replacing my bulbs with some brighter ones and i couldn't figure out how to do it. Now that I have some knowledge, i might attempt it again. those rubber seals are a pain in the neck!
I replaced mine with Silverstar Ultras by removing the bumper for access. I posted some pictures of the process in this thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=silverstar
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:19 AM   #23
Lambpasty
Internet Superhero

Drives: '07 HB Black Sand Pearl
I tried putting some new CB lamps in mine yesterday and couldn't for the life of me figure out if I was doing it wrong or what lol. Maybe I'll try the bumper removal/loosening technique tonight.
Lambpasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #24
YesYaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I opted to remove the bumper. The whole job took just shy of an hour and a half. I wasn't rushing which slowed down the process.

I found the rubber holding the bulbs to be very easy to deal with. A flathead screw driver came in useful when separating the bulb from the rubber.

Now I have to say that I never, ever had to put so much effort into replacing a vehicle's light bulb. If any neighbours saw what I was doing yesterday they would have guessed I was replacing the radiator! Luckily nobody inquired and I didn't have to confess to the embarrassing truth!
YesYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #25
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Well, it's done. Word to the wise... Take the bumper cover off and it's easy. Taking the bumper cover off is relatively easy as well.
Pretty cool that I'm coming back to the forum to get info on changing headlight bulbs and stumble upon my own post! My Yaris is still running perfectly!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #26
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
just replaced the bulbs in the sedan with silverstar ultras. must be something different with the 4 door because i was able to skip the whole bumper-removal process and had no issues at all with clearance. this is easier than an oil change :lol: !

definately whiter, but only somewhat brighter. the packaging can be a little misleading because the big percentage increases in brightness and width are due to them comparing them to bulbs that need replaced.

also, everyone complains about the longevity of the ultras, but it does say on the back they won't last anywhere near as long as oem due to the 'increased performance'. they have a 12 month warranty, however, and i got them on super-sale so no biggie.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #27
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I just installed my Hella Xenon Blue headlight bulbs today (H83140272). Nice and have a 1 year warranty.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #28
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I installed "PIAA Xtreme White Plus" bulbs (4000k) in july of '09 and they are still good.
I don't know how they compare to the "silver stars" but, I like them
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:33 AM   #29
Randy!

Drives: 07 Liftback
I'm cross posting this from a different thread. Just replaced a my driverside bulb this evening. And man did it feel good.

My driverside bulb went out. My car's about 3.5 years old, 70K miles. It was ridiculously difficult to makes this happen. Everything was WAY more snug than the manual and the various threads seemed to indicate.

It took a couple attempts, my left hand is a little scrapped up, so is my cousin's, but the bulb has been changed. The use for a second set of eyes was in step 4. Knowing how everything works now, I think then next one will be simple enough on my own. If this write-up is clear enough, you can manage it, too.

#1) I wiggled the hell out of the plug to loosen it. Try to pull back while wiggling.

#2) The electrical prongs on the bulb are pretty long, and it's hard to pull the plug straight back with so little room for your hand. I got the inboard side to come off a little bit by hand, but the outboard side wasn't moving much. I then used a long thin flathead screw driver to square up the outboard side. Get the screwdriver blade in place on a high point on the plastic plug. Tap very very gently a few times. Once the plug was square I went back to hand wiggling and it popped off.

#3) The rubber hood is cone-shaped. It was easy to get the outer part of the hood off the boss. It was impossible for me to remove the inner part from the bulb while the bulb was still in the headlight. Despite pulling ready really really hard, wiggling, prying, feeling from the inside and the outside, and starting to see if I could just remove the whole headlight, I ended up leaving the cone in place until the bulb was out and sitting on my workbench. This is the step where I give up the first time.

#4) I had some help for this next part. Once we decided to leave the rubber hood in place, my cousin worked on the bulb and I looked through the headlight at the visible part of the release spring. There are two semi-circular notches in the reflective headlight surface, one on either side of the bulb. The release spring is a U-shaped wire. As you squeeze it, the wire flattens and will slip past the tab holding it in place; this is visible to a second set of eyes.

Put on some gloves. You'll going to press very hard, and without room to position your fingers, it'll probably be a sensitive part making contact with the release spring. As he pinched the ends of the spring towards the center, I could see when the spring had deflected enough to release. When it was flat enough I said "go" and, while still squeezing, he pulled backwards. We did one spring at a time. The outboard spring came free pretty easily, the inboard one was tough. Working by yourself, it'll be tough to know when the spring is flat, that's why the glove is helpful, so you can squeeze really hard, hold it in place and try pulling, then squeeze a little harder, and try pulling again until the spring releases.

#5) I compressed the rubber hood in my hand, and wiggled and pulled until the hood/bulb assembly came free.

#6) With plenty of space on the workbench, I used a small screw driver to gradually work the inner part of rubber hood off the dead bulb. The inner surface is grooved and makes contact with about 15mm of the bulb, so it's no wonder there's so much friction holding it on.

#7) Still on the workbench, I slid the hood onto the back of the new bulb. A little WD-40 helped. Put the lube on the metal part of the bulb, not on the inner surface of the rubber hood. This way no lube ends up on the glass of the bulb. Stuff on the bulb glass apparently shortens the life substantially and as you've figured out, installing a new bulb is not that easy.

#8) Again with my cousin under the hood, I looked through the headlight to tell him when the new bulb was in straight and square. This would be simple enough by yourself, but it went really quick with an extra set of eyes. He pinched the springs and pushed them into position. This was easier then the removal, since he could just squeeze and push until the spring popped over the tab and locked.

Gloves are useful here, too. It's a pain to slide the bulb back in, and it'd be easy to accidentally smudge the glass with your oily skin.

#9) Turn the key, flip on the headlights, rejoice.

You may also feel such a sense of accomplishment that you'll consider calling up a dealership to tell them what to do with that $45 OEM bulb that they'll "install for free" because they won't touch the exact same bulb you bought retail for $12--claiming it might damage the electrical system--even though you're happy to pay for the 15 minutes of labor they'd need.
Randy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #30
jeeper5usa

Drives: 2011 Toyota Yaris
I just installed HID bulbs into my 11 HB and removing most of the black clips on top of the bumper is a must. I let the bumper hang down. I never replaced such a hard light bulb. Allow for extra time with these headlights! These were the hardest lightbulbs I ever had to replace. The bulbs are basically H4s with the standard clip holding them in along with a rubber seal, but you have to be really talented with small hands to attempt without removing the bumper or light housing.

And those damn black clips are a pain in the ass, but learned that if you use a small screw driver to pull up the center piece first, the rest of the clip will slide right out. And vise versa, make sure the center is up when you push them back in. So push the outer ring on first, then push down on the locking center piece.

They couldn't have made this easier? Damn.
jeeper5usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #31
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper5usa View Post
I just installed HID bulbs into my 11 HB and removing most of the black clips on top of the bumper is a must. I let the bumper hang down. I never replaced such a hard light bulb. Allow for extra time with these headlights! These were the hardest lightbulbs I ever had to replace. The bulbs are basically H4s with the standard clip holding them in along with a rubber seal, but you have to be really talented with small hands to attempt without removing the bumper or light housing.

And those damn black clips are a pain in the ass, but learned that if you use a small screw driver to pull up the center piece first, the rest of the clip will slide right out. And vise versa, make sure the center is up when you push them back in. So push the outer ring on first, then push down on the locking center piece.

They couldn't have made this easier? Damn.
worst part of those black clips is you are suppose to press down in the center to get the middle free and then pull the full clip up! that how it should be...but i did it the same way as you and I broke 5 out of 6 or 8!
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #32
RaptorRacing

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS
Send a message via MSN to RaptorRacing
Wow...after 3.25 years and 95,000km one my factory bulbs finally went. Was thinking: should only take me 2mins to replace them...boy was I wrong. After 5mins I came up with 3 solution:

1) Stay off the cheap drugs as there is NO way changing a headlight should be this difficult unless you own a Volvo
2) Ask my neighbors 9 year old to get his hands in there with his tiny hands
3) Take the bumper cover off

Thank god for this thread, not for anything else but to let me know that I'm not as stupid as I thought. I started second guessing myself when I could barely get the rubber boot off.

Thanks guys...awesome thread.
RaptorRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #33
xxcanuckxx

Drives: 2015 SE HB
I just have to say that after two hours of frustration, I remembered this sweet little forum... 10 minutes later the driver side headlight was replaced!
I didn't touch the bumper, but removed the fuse box. This was not easy!
Thanks again guys!
xxcanuckxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #34
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
i did it twice in 2 days...replaced the headlight saturday, took the whole bumper cover off and sunday I say that the 2 little bulb on the side of the housing where not working anymore...a trip to walmart and 3$ later, took off the plastic things off the top of the cover and in 15 minutes, both bulbs on each side where changed! I am now an expert in removing those headlight!
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #35
mlaverdiere

Drives: Yaris HB 2006 black
Changing bulb without removing bumper & headlight

This is crossposting (see my message in this thread: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...d=1#post588014), but I just want to avoid future readers the hassle to remove the bumber and the headlight just to replace a bulb.

I did manage to replace an headlight bulb on my Toyota Yaris, without removing the bumper & the headlight and without any tool. It's true that the work space is tight (I have big hands, so it didn't help!) and when you do it for the first time, it's not so obvious. But hey, over all, it took me just 30 min.! Next time, I guess it should take me 10 minutes.

nstructions: Just follow what you'll find in your owner manual!

For reference, here's the link to some 2007 Toyota Yaris manual where you'll find the relevant info:

- P. 289-290 of 2007 Owner Manual: http://pdfcafe.com/files/pdfcafe.com...user_guide.rar

- P. LI-97 of 2007 Toyota Yaris Factory Repair Manuals, lightning part (Disassembly section): http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/Lighting.pdf

A few tips:

1. It's not so obvious, but the rubber part that comes with the bulb can be removed quite easily, by pulling gently the bulb out.

2. When you install the new bulb, be sure to position it correctly (that is to say, the larger border plate at the top) in order make it fit easily in the socket.

Hope this helps
mlaverdiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #36
DiaVitz
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB turned Vitz
Wink Thanks guys!

Well thanks to you guys i replaced the headlight bulbs today!

At first my husband and i started by disconnecting the plug and i thought it was gonna be easy.... wronnnngggg!!!! After 30 minutes and scratched and bloody hands i decided to search the web... and i found this site, which now i absolutely love!!
We did everything as you said and Voila!!! new headlight bulbs 4 my hb!!
One thing i noticed to have easy access in the driver side ( i do have small hands but i think anyone can do it) is to reach the rubber boot/bulb from under the fender ( i think thats the part in the side , sorry my first language is spanish lol) well, the part above the tire , but u have to turn the steering wheel to the right so you can have enough space to put your hand and reach the bulb.
that work for us!
DiaVitz is offline   Reply With Quote