Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #73
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
What ? PLAN AHEAD ! There's no planning for a deer that decides to bolt out in front or into the side of your vehicle from over an embankment or from thick brush / wooded area . This has to be the dumbest ( ) thing stated on this topic so far .
It's called driving slower when you are in a known trouble area. I am surprised that you were not smart enough to figure that out for yourself.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #74
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
It's called driving slower when you are in a known trouble area. I am surprised that you were not smart enough to figure that out for yourself.
I hope you're never involved in an accident, no matter who's at fault, but if you are I hope you're smart enough (and brave enough) to tell the officer and the adjuster that you run double the psi that Toyota recommends. But what am I thinking, you've already convinced your insurance agent to run double psi to save fuel, like you're doing, yes?

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:41 PM   #75
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
Quote:
you take the cake .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #76
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
you take the cake .
Yeah. Thats why i just stopped responding to his post and future posts. Some people will belive they are right no matter what evidence you bring up to prove they are wrong. And they will try to find a flaw in everything you say to them or use as evidence in order to keep saying they are right. Its just a waste of time those type of poeple can not be reasoned with.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #77
YarisSedan

Here are some reputible, reliable sources of information that will tell you all you would ever want and need to know about tires and tire pressure to put this post to rest. If the quotes interest you click on the link to read the complete articles

http://www.betiresmart.ca/resources/...oc2=faqs#faq03
"Is over-inflation harmful?
Yes. One of the biggest tire maintenance-related myths is that over-inflation is not a problem. Often, even people who understand that under-inflation is a problem are unaware of the harmful effects of over-inflation.

An over-inflated tire rides on just the centre portion of the tread. The smaller contact area means reduced grip on the road leading to a harsh ride, handling issues (such as steering and stopping problems) and increased wear on tires and suspension components.

What should I do if my tires are over-inflated?
If you find that your tires are over-inflated, release air by pushing on the metal stem in the center of the valve, then re-measure the pressure. Never reduce pressure when tires are hot. Wait until they are cold, meaning that your vehicle has been stationary for at least 3 hours or has not been driven more than 2 km."

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4199963.html

"Debunking a Mileage Myth: Can You Really "Pump Up" Your Fuel ..."

http://www.tirestamp.com/index.php?o...139&Itemid=177

"Question: Is my tread wear effected by overinflation?

Answer: Overinflation is almost as bad as underinflation. Overinflation is any pressure that exceeds the pressure needed to carry the load by 10% or more. Just as with underinflation, overinflation changes the footprint too. The contact patch actually becomes shorter and narrower. This results in the shoulders of the tire scuffing along while only the center of the tire makes full contact with the road which leads to irregular wear patterns and lost tread mileage. Center rib wear, flaking, chunking, erratic depression wear are commonly observed conditions in addition to overall rapid tread wear. A tire that is overinflated by 20% will lose 10% of its tread mileage. In addition, traction is negatively impacted since the contact patch is much smaller than is optimal. The ride is harsher since the sidewall is much stiffer and handling is different since the footprint has changed. Vehicle suspension and steering system components are also affected by the harsher ride and handling due to over inflation. Overinflated tires are also prone to cuts and snags, impact breaks, and sidewall and crown penetrations affect a vehicle’s handling. "
Old 12-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #78
gid

we've had deer dart out from between homes within city limits during daylight hours . So you can't always be prepared MR.PERFECTO . The deer are running out of habitat and with the warmer climate of recent years there's been a population explotion . Therefore they're more active in the day looking for food . MAYBE YOU SHOULD EXPLAIN THAT TO THE DEER HERE AND EVERYWHERE .

Last edited by gid; 01-21-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #79
gid

Y.S. , he sent me a private message telling me to remove a post I made in one of his THREADS . He wants all the glory . To think these are the people who are MODERATORS and use it as leverage and attack other members with insults . Reminds of a certain ADMINISTARTION for the past 8 years .
Old 12-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #80
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
If over-inflation wasn't ONLY about increased fuel economy, we'd be seeing actual real world test results with handling, braking, etc..., comparing the results of tires that have normal pressure with those with double pressure, not just fuel economy increases, or do the 60p.s.i.ers and the websites they go to consider *safe* being a tire that didn't blow out? I'd like to see some real test results of two cars being track test against each other. I'm betting the car with over-inflated will come in 2nd in every catagory except fuel economy.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #81
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
If over-inflation wasn't ONLY about increased fuel economy, we'd be seeing actual real world test results with handling, braking, etc..., comparing the results of tires that have normal pressure with those with double pressure, not just fuel economy increases, or do the 60p.s.i.ers and the websites they go to consider *safe* being a tire that didn't blow out? I'd like to see some real test results of two cars being track test against each other. I'm betting the car with over-inflated will come in 2nd in every catagory except fuel economy.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4199963.html
Old 12-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #82
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
Quote:
What ? PLAN AHEAD ! There's no planning for a deer that decides to bolt out in front or into the side of your vehicle from over an embankment or from thick brush / wooded area . This has to be the dumbest ( ) thing stated on this topic so far .
I agree with these comments 100%. Can't believe some people's logic. I guess some posters are one with nature....
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #83
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Panic stops do not happen to those that pay attention on the road and plan ahead. This holds true even if your fellow drivers fail to do so. On the few occasions that I have needed to brake any harder than usual I experienced no difficulty whatsoever at 60 PSI.

As for deer, yes, I run into them on the roads here, too. Also coyotes, quail, rabbits and the occasional black bear. I have never had difficulty avoiding them.

All,

There simply is no room in fuel economy discussions for alarmism or "doomism". Please stop with the venom and rhetoric or I will have this thread locked.
Aww am I upsetting the baby since his views are the same as mine....awww
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #84
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Actually I have a true story about a deer...kind off topic but it shows how deer are in my area. I used to work in a grocery store in high school and I was sacking some groceries on the front end one day. All of a sudden a lady comes runnning in the door screaming bloody murder. She runs towards the back of the store. Well right behind her was a 2 pt buck running into the store also. It ran over to the produce and 2 customers(2 huge guys) tackled it and tied it up. We sold deer corn at the store and kept the bags out on the sidewalk. 2 deer smelt it and came up there to eat it. Then they got spooked and 1 took off back towards the woods. The other one ran towards the door and well you know the rest of the story.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #85
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I don't know why anyone would bother arguing with these "hypermilers," the bottom line is that they are right and the rest of the world is wrong!

I really wonder why these people don't drive a Prius? If they are so dedicated to getting the maximum efficiency out of every drop of gas, then they should select the proper equipment to do so. A Prius with 60+ PSI in it tires and employing those "hypermiler" techniques could get about a bazillion gallons to the mile!

And to my friend in Nacadoches, we both know the dangers of deer in Texas. Maybe we are too stupid not to "plan ahead," or maybe the deer just aren't following the rules! I will ask the next time I see one...

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #86
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I actually used to run 50 psi in my tires just for MPG reasons. And then I hit a deer because I couldn't stop fast enough. Slammed on the brakes and the car just skidded on the road, hardly gripping at all.

Bottom line? I run 32 psi now, what Toyota recommends. Only took $5,000 and the safety of me and my passenger to figure it out.
Attached Images

33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #87
Doug007

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silveryaris View Post
40 psi car feels good and when pushed hard I do not see any wear on the sidewalls.
Agreed - for me 40 psi works well for my driving style and the roads I regularly traverse. My overall mpg is 41 so good fuel economy is present as well.
Daytime Running Lights
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
Doug007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #88
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug007 View Post
Agreed - for me 40 psi works well for my driving style and the roads I regularly traverse. My overall mpg is 41 so good fuel economy is present as well.
I run 40 as well, and average 42 on the highway. Not even a HM'r either
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #89
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
ryank, what the hell, didn't you PLAN AHEAD?!?

But I am going to see for myself. I just aired up my tires to 40 PSI (my tire pressure sensor light just went off this morning, so I had to check the pressure anyway) and we'll see how it goes. I sure hope I don't find out the hard way that this is a bad decision...

By the way, what is the PSI level that kicks off the air pressure sensor light? All my tires, sans one, were at 32 PSI; and the one that was a bit lower was only 28 PSI. Seems kinda high for the sensors to kick off...

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #90
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
ON my wifes CR-V it kicked in at 26 psi. Kind of a good thing. I found a screw in the tire. Without the sensor she might have driven the car until the tire was completely flat.