Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #55
aeipee13
DKDC

Drives: Yarlet
2.89 in los angeles today. premium was 3.11. Maybe if we start bombing everyone, prices will go down. Obama being nice seems to have caused this price increase.
aeipee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #56
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyDriver View Post
Why is it that gas prices rise instantly when crude goes up....but go down slowly when they drop? Probably has something to do with why the gas companies have had record profits in the last few years!!!!
Yeah .... it's all the oil companies fault
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #57
JBougie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeipee13 View Post
2.89 in los angeles today. premium was 3.11. Maybe if we start bombing everyone, prices will go down. Obama being nice seems to have caused this price increase.

$2.64 for 87 here in Minneapolis.
Last time I filled up it was $2.32

Lame.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #58
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
Have you been getting your medicine from Rush Limbaugh's doctor aeipee 13?
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #59
JBougie
Banned

Yes, let's all sip from the Pelosi cup and start ripping on people who don't agree fully with the left side.

It allllllways has to come to that, doesn't it?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #60
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
There is enough oil in the ground...under the sea...under snow...to last this country for over 100 years. The reason gas prices are rising is that people believe that there is a shortage of oil. There will be fossil based fuel sources for decades to come and until we get the government out of playing politics with oil, we will pay far more than we need to!
To last this country.... except that oil is a fungible commodity. If the rising middle class in China and India can bid more for it than we can they'll get it. Good luck getting the Congress, or oil companies, to keep "our oil in our country". Ain't gonna happen.

Let's be honest - I'm sure 150 years ago, when people lit their homes with whale oil, that they imagined that there would be plenty of whale blubber "out there".

Did not happen to be true, and the same will be true for petroleum.

Human Caused Climate change is a crock of horseshit and in the long run going to destroy people's respect for the environment, if only because they'll lump this junk science in with such useful things as waste remediation, soil erosion and sufficient potable water for all.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #61
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyDriver View Post
Why is it that gas prices rise instantly when crude goes up....but go down slowly when they drop? Probably has something to do with why the gas companies have had record profits in the last few years!!!!
Most of the oil companies record profits were from well receipts in the US when oil was over $140 a barrel. A lot of companies dumped their retail operations because the profits were greater in distribution and because environmental remediation is an ass pain in the US. Especially bond requirements and destructive tank testing, at least in some states.

I don't know why prices "rise instantly". Considering the slim profit margins on gasoline sales - it's pennies per gallon for gas station owners - maybe these folks are being cagey with their more expensive gasoline in the tank?

Of course if you want to bring back price controls and impose "price gouging" regulations, well, enjoy your wait in the gas lines. Heh, heh, heh.

Gene
Old 06-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #62
GeneW
Banned

To stick to the point - prices this summer will depend upon political factors. Carbon taxes, Israeli intrigue and whether or not joblessness will continue to increase. We see joblessness go over twelve to fifteen percent and there will not be a lot of increase in prices over about $3.00.

Gene
Old 06-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #63
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
rming, but rather how that warming produces climate change. Climate change can manifest in anything from growing deserts in Asia to freak snow storms in the U.S. to stronger hurricanes in the Atlantic.
Climate change can manifest many changes in weather patterns. The Jury is still out about whether or not trace amounts of Carbon Dioxide are capable of affecting the thermal balance of the Earth.

Zagoni, a former Global Warming Supporter, explains a different model discovered by Miskolczi, who resigned from NASA after they rejected his model because it did not support their "agenda".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykgg9m-7FK4

This is a pretty good counterexample, based upon observations seen on Earth and off planet.

I'm really hoping that we can put this myth behind us and get on with newer sources of energy, not 18th century peasant energy. There isn't enough oil to go around, and it's needed for petrochemicals and plastics rather than being squandered on fuel.

Gene
Old 06-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #64
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

The left, the right , how mid 20th century. Human caused planetary change is documented and the primary reason people chose to deny it is not factually based but due to the discomfort it causes to acknowledge it. Better to rationalize it to away and live in the self congratulatory mode we existed in for the past 100 years, Truth is we are the monkey that pisses poison. Realize that and get on with your life. Neither of the political parties offers deliverance . We have traded our empire for an excess of comsumer goods and a lack of investment: and what investment Americans have made have been stolen away by the manipulaters of our economic systenm for their own self indulgence. Democracts support an often parasitic lower class and Republicans are toads to wealthy investor class of that wants it all and would rather have us all live as virtual slaves The pollution will continue as long mass and energy create power, physical or manifestly political.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #65
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
[QUOTE=Bob Dog;331751]The left, the right , how mid 20th century. Human caused planetary change is documented QUOTE]

the only thing documented is the climate change itself. the changes we've seen in cimate have in fact happened before in similar degrees of severity if you look back far enough in time. this was long before the industrial revolution, but it still happened. many respected geological scientists throughout the world have reached the conlusion that there is currently no cause and effect that has been proven this time around.

the sad thing is we never should have needed al gore and the like spreading misinformation to motivate the countries of the world to clean up our planet. there are enough other reasons to clean things up. somer people will be shocked, however, that global warming will continue no matter how clean we get. then, it will cycle down. this is the history of the planet.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #66
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
[QUOTE=roxy1;331904]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dog View Post
The left, the right , how mid 20th century. Human caused planetary change is documented QUOTE]

the only thing documented is the climate change itself. the changes we've seen in cimate have in fact happened before in similar degrees of severity if you look back far enough in time. this was long before the industrial revolution, but it still happened. many respected geological scientists throughout the world have reached the conlusion that there is currently no cause and effect that has been proven this time around.

the sad thing is we never should have needed al gore and the like spreading misinformation to motivate the countries of the world to clean up our planet. there are enough other reasons to clean things up. somer people will be shocked, however, that global warming will continue no matter how clean we get. then, it will cycle down. this is the history of the planet.
Good...no excellent post!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #67
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
The left, the right , how mid 20th century. Human caused planetary change is documented and the primary reason people chose to deny it is not factually based but due to the discomfort it causes to acknowledge it. Better to rationalize it to away and live in the self congratulatory mode we existed in for the past 100 years, Truth is we are the monkey that pisses poison. Realize that and get on with your life. Neither of the political parties offers deliverance . We have traded our empire for an excess of comsumer goods and a lack of investment: and what investment Americans have made have been stolen away by the manipulaters of our economic systenm for their own self indulgence. Democracts support an often parasitic lower class and Republicans are toads to wealthy investor class of that wants it all and would rather have us all live as virtual slaves The pollution will continue as long mass and energy create power, physical or manifestly political.
I think there is a difference between pollution and climate change. One is caused by man, the other is a natural physical occurrence that has happened for billions of years.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #68
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
If the rising middle class in China and India can bid more for it than we can they'll get it. Good luck getting the Congress, or oil companies, to keep "our oil in our country". Ain't gonna happen.
Gene
Gene, you are paraphasing ideas or subpositions proported as facts by many organization in the past. Japanese empire 1937, East India trading company 1800s, British crown in both the 18th, 19th, and early 20th century. The names and commodoties have changed with the times. However, the facts and circumstances proposed didn't happened or didn't occur as proposed.

War, revolution, technology, and money will tip the circumstances into U.S. favor.
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #69
aeipee13
DKDC

Drives: Yarlet
Quote:
Have you been getting your medicine from Rush Limbaugh's doctor aeipee 13?
it was a joke.
aeipee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #70
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
There is enough oil in the ground...under the sea...under snow...to last this country for over 100 years. The reason gas prices are rising is that people believe that there is a shortage of oil. There will be fossil based fuel sources for decades to come and until we get the government out of playing politics with oil, we will pay far more than we need to!
Prove it!
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #71
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

I know you will head in the sand righties continue to go on without concern, but it is nothing more than your continuing denial of facts before your face. If the earth were to change from day to night instantly it would be shocking, no matter that this happens every day over a period of 24 hours everyday. I am not arguing climatic cycles, I am stating that tremendous quantities of pollutants have been introduced during last 100 years of the industrial revolution and concurrently icecaps that took hundreds of thousands years to come into existence have melted. I expect that the concepts of syncronicity and probability escape you and that you percieve things in a binary, is/isn't manner. The past 150 years have been one of the five greatest extinction events in the multibillion year history of the earth, but then things just live and die, right?
Old 06-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #72
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
I know you will head in the sand righties continue to go on without concern, but it is nothing more than your continuing denial of facts before your face. If the earth were to change from day to night instantly it would be shocking, no matter that this happens every day over a period of 24 hours everyday. I am not arguing climatic cycles, I am stating that tremendous quantities of pollutants have been introduced during last 100 years of the industrial revolution and concurrently icecaps that took hundreds of thousands years to come into existence have melted. I expect that the concepts of syncronicity and probability escape you and that you percieve things in a binary, is/isn't manner. The past 150 years have been one of the five greatest extinction events in the multibillion year history of the earth, but then things just live and die, right?
So the ice caps are melting? I guess the scientific reports that the southern cap has actually gained ice escaped you. Reports that world temperatures are cooling probably didn't get your attention either. Every ten years ago, you liberals come out with some new gloom and doom perspective that will end the world. Problem is, you are always wrong and instead of addressing the previous lies, you start new ones.

I can sum up my objections to global warming in two words. Al Gore. If you are siding with Gore, then you have to be wrong!