Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
schreck

Drives: 2009
Question Swapping Out Gauge Pack

I've seen it discussed before, but not necessarily with the newer 09s.

The HB doesn't come with a tach in the gauge cluster unless you really jazz it up, but is there a specific reason you can't pop the gauge cluster from the S model into the base HB? It includes a tach and should be same connectors and specs, or so it would appear.

Some say yes, some no, but none seem to agree and I haven't seen any photos posted from those who have done the swap.

Thanks
schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
The mileage is stored in the gauge cluster, basically making it illegal to swap it out.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The fact is, no one knows because no one has tried it that I know of.
I think someone should so we can settle this question.

The law is to protect buyers from shady sellers who want to claim lower than truthful mileage. Since that is not your intention, my opinion is don't worry about that detail.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
l2a3k2a3i

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB 5 sp
Hmm... Ive wondered this myself.. Ide try after my warranty runs out (7k or so) if i could get my hands on a type s cluster. Mine's an 08 tho
l2a3k2a3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I had the same idea. I wanted to get my hands on a digital cluster that I have seen in some European Yaris photos but haven't had any luck. I would look at ebay, they have some from time to time.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
Jeemee
XBL: Jeemee Ghost

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
I had the same idea. I wanted to get my hands on a digital cluster that I have seen in some European Yaris photos but haven't had any luck. I would look at ebay, they have some from time to time.
yeah that's the cluster I'd be after. If I could find one I'd buy it and just note the mileage difference.

Nitto Axle-Back--Tanabe DF210s--UR 23mm Rear Sway Bar--Penguin Garage 10mm Hub Spacers
Jeemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Seems it would be easy enough to get two Yarii together and swap panels. If it doesn't work, swap back.

I suspect that there may be some dealer tweaking required to get it to work... but I also suspect that it's NOT impossible. If your dash panel breaks, they have to be able to replace it... and probably even reset the mileage on the replacement.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Time to start looking for Rental Car places with 09 Yaris'...hehe
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #9
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
I have posted the S gauge cluster part number on here before... i would repost it but i cant remember where i have the sheet. I believe its about $190-250.
I dont know If it works for sure but the tech said it should.
ka0sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #10
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
This is an old forum post of someone with a 07 sedan auto swapping from a tach cluster to a non-tach cluster: (it was linked here a a few months ago)

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/....asp?TID=97796

They state that the cluster inherited the mileage from the tach cluster when installed. Now they're having the problem of the parking brake light staying on at all times.

I've placed a few calls to a junkyards recently looking for a tach cluster, non-tach are around $150 or so from the call backs I've gotten, I have yet to find a tach model. If I find one and it's sub-$250 I'll probably pick it up to see, I prefer the lighting of the clusters with tach.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #11
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
The mileage is stored in the gauge cluster, basically making it illegal to swap it out.
Chances are that your friendly neighborhood Toyota dealer could reflash the cluster gauge, but that's a complete guess on my part. Guess they'd have to able to do something, otherwise what happens to Toyota owners who have a failure in the cluster?

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
schreck

Drives: 2009
Cool

When I talked to a couple Toyota techs they weren't sure about the gauge swap (they, apparently, never have had anybody ask for one) but they did state the onboard chips hold the mileage and what you see on the odometer is what the chip tells it. If you swap the gauge cluster for a new or old one, the correct mileage should be reflected on the odometer.

Makes sense to me. The days of the old spinning wheel odoms are gone so since the computer handles everything else it may as well handle the mileage settings!
schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:19 PM   #13
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The one for the 08 S liftback is:

83800-52P10 (no ABS)
83800-52N70 (w/ABS)
From a different thread.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #14
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
You just have to go retitle your car.

There should be a box that has to do with the mileage being wrong in the car. Just check the box and get your new title.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:30 AM   #15
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebob View Post
You just have to go retitle your car.

There should be a box that has to do with the mileage being wrong in the car. Just check the box and get your new title.
car loses its value then, might as well be selling a salvage car. from a purchasers stand point, it the millage is not accurate on the title it could be a variety of reasons.
ka0sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #16
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
The cluster doesn't store anything.

Last week I finally tracked down an S cluster locally to swap out of a wrecked 2008 S.

The board where the clock was seated had been broken from whatever crash the donor car was in, and so it didn't work.

They wanted too much for it though, even broken.

Last edited by Gideon; 09-12-2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: I'm stupid!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:39 AM   #17
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
IF it is stored in the cluster, there is a label that you can purchase and mount in the doorjamb, that will state what the mileage was on the vehicle at the time that the new cluster was installed, and the mileage listed on the new cluster at that time... this process was put in place because there are occasional circumstances where replacement of the cluster is required to fix an issue(i.e. say the fuel gauge stopped working in the cluster itself but still had the proper signal, or the printed circuit in the cluster failed)

don't know where that would be purchased though, i would check with the dealer...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #18
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka0sx View Post
car loses its value then, might as well be selling a salvage car. from a purchasers stand point, it the millage is not accurate on the title it could be a variety of reasons.
You are right about the car dropping in value. All I’m saying is that it can be done legally and I disagreed with the post that I quoted.