Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #37
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
older Jap cars were notorious for rust issues. trust me, I had two old Z cars. awesome cars if you can find one that's less than 75% rust at this point.

tell you what I totally dig, the old Celicas. this model.
Attached Images

Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #38
rick996

Drives: 2010 5 door hatch w/5 sp man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Justy?? Hawww... Wasn't the Tercel before that? We still see them around here, godknowshowmany miles on them, still running just fine. Bodies ain't what they used to be, just like my mom's Corona: without the corrosion, I think most Toyotas would still be on the road...
Yes, the Tercel came out in 1978 and was replaced by the Echo in 2000. The Justy came out in 1984 (Japan) and wasn't sold in the U.S. until 1987. It certainly did rust. Not just the sills and fenders, the hood had holes in it. The original nickname for our 1987 was "little foot" and then went to "the Trusty Rusty Justy".

rick996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #39
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
What is it with my memory? Why do I think that the Justy was produced by someone else, Suzuki maybe? Ah, just one of the hazards of being old, I guess... I'm sure that the LaSalle was produced by Cadillac, though.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #40
digitalrain

Drives: 2011 yaris rs
Yeah I'll go with the Justy being a Subie up here. Don't know about other countries tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
What is it with my memory? Why do I think that the Justy was produced by someone else, Suzuki maybe? Ah, just one of the hazards of being old, I guess... I'm sure that the LaSalle was produced by Cadillac, though.
digitalrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #41
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
it was a Subie pretty much everywhere. I do wish Toyota would have kept an AWD option on all of their cars like those early 80's vehicles had.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #42
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
It seems to me the best model Yaris was the 2007, because it didn't have side airbags, electronic stability and ABS brakes, which saves weight and improves fuel efficiency. With my 2007 Yaris with 96,000 miles, I still get 40MPG depending on driving style. "Outdated" is a matter of presence. People still think the Yaris is a brand new car.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #43
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
It seems to me the best model Yaris was the 2007, because it didn't have side airbags, electronic stability and ABS brakes, which saves weight and improves fuel efficiency. With my 2007 Yaris with 96,000 miles, I still get 40MPG depending on driving style. "Outdated" is a matter of presence. People still think the Yaris is a brand new car.
Until somebody side wipes you and send you to the morgue. Then you will have thought those side air bags were worth their weight in gold.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #44
The Limo

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
My 2007 sedan has 8 air bags. Driver and front passenger, side airbags on both front seats and 2 curtain airbags in front and 2 in the back. It also has ABS and Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD).
Roy
The Limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #45
refotsirk

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I read last week in the news that BMW was teaming up with Toyota for future diesel engine mergings.
I wonder who makes what? BMW body, Toyota diesel engine? Or other way around?
A Yaris diesel engine.....hmmmm I could pull my kayak then on a trailer? Or more?
More HP for my bang for my buck?
Or I wonder if this is just for the EU markets?
refotsirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #46
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limo View Post
My 2007 sedan has 8 air bags. Driver and front passenger, side airbags on both front seats and 2 curtain airbags in front and 2 in the back. It also has ABS and Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD).
Roy
I wonder if they Canadian models have different safety requirements than the US. My 09 Yaris has the side airbags too, but I think it was an option...not sure when it was almost 3 years ago.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #47
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refotsirk View Post
I read last week in the news that BMW was teaming up with Toyota for future diesel engine mergings.
I wonder who makes what? BMW body, Toyota diesel engine? Or other way around?
A Yaris diesel engine.....hmmmm I could pull my kayak then on a trailer? Or more?
More HP for my bang for my buck?
Or I wonder if this is just for the EU markets?
That would be wonderful combination. That might actually tempt me to sell my Yaris and buy another one with a diesel engine. The right size diesel in a Yaris could get you 60 MPG.

That being said, I don't think we would get it in the US market. We always suck hind tit on Toyota innovation in the US.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #48
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
That would be wonderful combination. That might actually tempt me to sell my Yaris and buy another one with a diesel engine. The right size diesel in a Yaris could get you 60 MPG.

That being said, I don't think we would get it in the US market. We always suck hind tit on Toyota innovation in the US.

Sadly, the day of the diesel engine as an economic proposition is over. Diesel fuel is over 25% more expensive than gasoline, effectively nullifying any advantage it used to have. When you factor in the added premium of a diesel engine over a gas powered one that is the final nail in the coffin.

No the most cost effective engine is a small gas one in the lightest car possible.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #49
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
My first car was a 81 Datsun 210SL hatch that got 40+ mpg and was rear wheel drive. I bought it used for $1000 with 60k miles on it and drove it to death. I loved that thing. The front seats would recline all the way. When I'd open up the windows and propped up rear hatch @ the beach, I can enjoy the breeze and sleep inside after boogie boarding. I put 375,000 miles on that car. I lent it to my brother one time, and he blows the head gasket. Fun times.

My Yaris reminds me of my 210SL. I hear Chevy Sprints also had high MPG's.

Newer isn't always better. The Yaris is pretty good the way it is. I'm talking about the manual version, of course.
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #50
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
blip... double post?
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #51
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Sadly, the day of the diesel engine as an economic proposition is over. Diesel fuel is over 25% more expensive than gasoline, effectively nullifying any advantage it used to have. When you factor in the added premium of a diesel engine over a gas powered one that is the final nail in the coffin.

No the most cost effective engine is a small gas one in the lightest car possible.
Yea....no! I think your thinking is reminiscent of early times when US auto makers tried to produce diesels and failed....as most US manufactures do! There is a new generation of diesel engines that are clean burning and offer 20 to 30 percent better gas mileage than a gas engine of the same size. Now if diesel fuel, when comparing mileage vs cost, is more expensive than regular unleaded gas, then you comments holds true. But if the mileage is better and cheaper even when factoring in more expensive fuel, then diesel is a good alternative.

As more people start to use diesel, you can expect the price to drop as more dealers carry more non-freight diesel. Not the landslide of savings and increased mileage, but for those who pinch pennies, it might be a winning long term alternative.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:47 AM   #52
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
You ain't old enough, Big Dave. No one here knows about the Cummins-powered racers at Indy in the 30s! They did well, without all the razzmatazz of, say, the later Novi. A lesson wasted on people who could buy Gasoline for 15c a gallon....
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #53
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
You need help if you think the Yaris is outdated.

Quality NEVER gets old.

Diesel=Hybrid=Jerkoff.

Diesel option costs nearly what the hybrid option does. (compared to buying a Yaris)

Diesel fuel is currently 25% MORE than gasoline. Explain how paying a premium for a diesel engine PLUS 25% more for fuel is going to cost LESS.

I await your answer and if you are right I will be the firt to admit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
Here is a question for you. Is the Yaris outdated? Seems like there are many other models....some much larger....that give you equal to if not better than gas mileage.

I bought my Yaris for a specific purpose to drive back and forth to Chicago and wanted a car that gave me great mileage. Hyundai, Kia, GM, and other car makers have quickly closed the gas mileage gap and overtaken the Yaris.

So that begs the question, is the Yaris outdated? The 2012 new generation model is basically the exact engine and transmission(s) of the earlier generation and no difference in mileage. I was hoping that Toyota would give us a smaller gas engine or even, I dare to say, a clean diesel engine that could produce some super mileage.

I would trade my 2009 model in for a diesel Yaris.

Any thoughts?
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #54
Edwin5000

Drives: 2008 Civic LX sedan 5AT
Diesels and hybrids are good. Manufacturers are finding that people WILL pay a premium for efficient cars. I know that I will seriously consider a Prius c along with the Yaris next spring when I buy a car.
Any 'Yota made in Japan is a great 'Yota.
Edwin5000 is offline   Reply With Quote