Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #145
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Are those new solos? That looks suprisingly like my old Solo D series rounds...

I love those old round D series subs. I had two 15"s of two ZR360s ten years back. Fun times.

As for criticism of the layout? Meh, I'd say the weak part is going to be the Pioneer EQ. I understand then need though. I'd say do as much tweaking with the amplifiers and the ReQ as possible before installing that.
Yes! they are the old round D series, they used to sound/feel very good, not as low as I would like, and since I already have them I guess I'll use them for now.

I agree with you about the Pionneer EQ, should I be looking for other kind, brand, new, EQ? any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

D.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #146
derickveliz2

I went to bed last night at 4 o'clock in the morning...

My car had a terrible noise coming from the front bumper, last year a lady hit my car in a parking lot (backing up) the lower grill broke and in the last couple of weeks I found out that the custom Grill came off on one side.

I started at 10pm and end up at 4am, no more rattles every time I close the doors. Since I took the bumper off and fixed it, I installed a pair of Hella Super Horns.

I'll show pictures later. I was very tempted to put some deadening on top of the plastic wells, I couldn't resist and did put a little strip, I'm sure it's not really going to help.

D.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #147
derickveliz2

Quote:
As for criticism of the layout? Meh, I'd say the weak part is going to be the Pioneer EQ.
Would this "FOUR.1" Would be a good option?

LINK

Thanks

Derick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DQX_OM-14.jpg (85.0 KB, 712 views)
Old 04-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #148
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Perhaps...

I still think you should adjust and then plug in another component if you need to.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #149
derickveliz2

Quote:
Perhaps...

I still think you should adjust and then plug in another component if you need to.
Thanks, I'll do that.

2 days left right?

D.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #150
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
I'm all for the EQ boner and such... but before you go out and spend $200 or more dollars on eq's you may or may not use... install your parts, then add one piece of signal processing at a time. Tweak with it as much you can over the course of a week or two, then evaluate if you want more tweaking capability.

remember that your signal quality is technically going to go down with each component you put in the signal chain before the speaker. A single processor like an eq is good, but if you start adding all kinds of goodies like dash eq, trunk eq, line boosters, active crossovers and so on.... you're just getting away from KISS, and that is rarely good.

I'm sure the four.1 is a fun toy....and if given one, would install it in a minute. I just wish it had more like 7bands, or... say 4 bands, but all in the 35-200hz range, so I could dial in the sub/midbass perfectly from song to song very quickly while driving.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:04 AM   #151
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
I'm all for the EQ boner and such... but before you go out and spend $200 or more dollars on eq's you may or may not use... install your parts, then add one piece of signal processing at a time. Tweak with it as much you can over the course of a week or two, then evaluate if you want more tweaking capability.
Thanks, looks like a plan.

I've been putting more CLD tiles and RAAMmat BXT inside the front right door, next will be to remove the OEM speaker.

Here are the pictures of the front without bumper; I did put a Tile of CLD in the back of the licence plate and 1/8" CCF (faom).

D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_9159 (1).JPG (90.6 KB, 1152 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9165.JPG (84.2 KB, 1182 views)
Old 04-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #152
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
The 20th is supposed to be our final day.

Then I get on the horse to install my system. I'll probably release tutorials as I'm going along. Hopefully I can have the install complete within several weeks. I've got NOTHING else to do since I don't have to go to work for 90 days...
Old 04-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #153
derickveliz2

Quote:
The 20th is supposed to be our final day.. I've got NOTHING else to do since I don't have to go to work for 90 days...
Awesome!

Looking forward to see a professional perform.

Thanks

D.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #154
derickveliz2

I removed the OEM front right speaker, I read somewhere that you have to use a drill, I started with a small bit, didn't work so I use a bigger one.

I can't believe how light they are, here is a picture next to the new ones. I'm going to try to use the OEM spacer to install the new speakers, we'll see if it works.

Also I was looking for a water resistant sound absorbent material to put inside the front doors to help with the acoustics of the speaker (remember the door becomes a speaker box) so I found this "Funnoodle" thing on sale for $2, cut in half; see picture

The other pictures show CDL Tiles and some Raammat. Just by taking care of the resonance on the door outer and inner skin, I can tell that there is a big difference in noise level coming from the naked door.

D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_9172.JPG (235.6 KB, 818 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9174.JPG (199.5 KB, 867 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9175.JPG (222.5 KB, 799 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9177.JPG (247.4 KB, 799 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9181.JPG (206.5 KB, 794 views)
Old 04-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #155
talnlnky
Audio Junky

keep in mind that the size of a magnet does not matter on how good a speaker is. Common misconception. Furthermore, it doesn't even tell you the strength of the motor... the way that the voice coil is wound and the height of the top & bottom plates have more of an effect on the motor's strength than the size of the magnet.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #156
derickveliz2

Quote:
keep in mind that the size of a magnet does not matter on how good a speaker is. Common misconception. Furthermore, it doesn't even tell you the strength of the motor... the way that the voice coil is wound and the height of the top & bottom plates have more of an effect on the motor's strength than the size of the magnet.
Some thing funny happened to me...

I had in my Tacoma a pair of (Pioneer) Premier 6.5 component speakers (not cheap) and guess what? I end up putting back the OEM speakers because they sound much better than the premier, although the OEM speakers from the Tacoma are much better quality than the ones I found in my Yaris.

I didn't know that the Zeus came with a blue LED inside! I'm going to have to play with that!

D.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #157
derickveliz2

At Lunch I went for the right front seat, I was really scared about taking it off, I read in another thread people having problems but it was a piece of cake! took me no more than 10 minutes!

BTW, mean while I was over there I took the glove compartment off just to realize that there was no CABIN AIR FILTER, I did a small search here in YarisWold and found out that it's common. But I got so mad I wrote down an email to the dealer! and I got a stupid answer and at the end I got my self a free Cabin Air Filter. here are the emails...

__________________________________________________ ____________
I can't believe I got a new Toyota from you, and I just found out it came without a cabin air filter, that is a shame.

Thank you,
Derick Veliz

__________________________________________________ _____________

Hi this is Bill from Boch Toyota
I called Toyota to try and get an answer for you about the cabin air filter On the Toyota Yaris.
The only thing they could tell me is that due to the small volume of interior space the cabin filter does not work the same as in bigger interior cars, so Toyota decided not to install them, but if the customer really wants one we can try and fit the corolla cabin filter and tray. The part sells for around $27.00 plus tax
Plus the installation. I hope this answers you’re question.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

That is not a Toyota answer, please. I also have a corolla and a tacoma and let me tell you that the interior space of my corolla is almost the same as the Yaris.

the manual states you shouldn't operate the a/c without it

p/n 87139-YZZ08

Thank you,
Derick Veliz

__________________________________________________ _____________

Hi this is Bill from Boch Toyota parts again as previously stated I was passing the information Toyota gave me to you.
But I can say that if you feel you really want the cabin filter installed you are more than welcome to bring in you’re yaris and we will try and see if any of the other filters fit at no charge to you for the first filter and installation

I know this has been discussed before but just wanted to share with you.

Thanks

D.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #158
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Some thing funny happened to me...

I had in my Tacoma a pair of (Pioneer) Premier 6.5 component speakers (not cheap) and guess what? I end up putting back the OEM speakers because they sound much better than the premier, although the OEM speakers from the Tacoma are much better quality than the ones I found in my Yaris.

I didn't know that the Zeus came with a blue LED inside! I'm going to have to play with that!

D.
I would guess the pioneers have a metalic tweet (and lack a good crossover), which may sound a bit harsh, along with a much higher BL on the mid which might (depending on the other T/S specs) lead the an early/fast roll off on the frequency response (for midbass) compared to the oem units. The OEM units are designed to have somewhat weak motor (Bl) and a very slow roll off. They also usually lack a dedicated tweet which gives a much more laid back and anemic sound which isn't desirable, but at least it doesn't make you cringe everytime you hear a cymbal crash.

yeah, you don't get an air filter unless you ask for one... and really... its actually easy enough that i'd tell everybody to replace it themself. I've made my own using giant 3M Filtrete Home Filters, 25,000 miles later and still no problems. You get multiple filters for around $15 that way... if you buy the filters designed for it I believe you pay around $10 a pop at least, and thats for a non-toyota brand.

I actually have been thinking about changing my filter for the past week. I'll probably do it the same day I change my oil filter (doing 10k oil intervals now, with 5k oil filter intervals)
Old 04-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #159
derickveliz2

Quote:
I would guess the pioneers have a metalic tweet (and lack a good crossover), which may sound a bit harsh, along with a much higher BL on the mid which might (depending on the other T/S specs) lead the an early/fast roll off on the frequency response (for midbass) compared to the oem units. The OEM units are designed to have somewhat weak motor (Bl) and a very slow roll off. They also usually lack a dedicated tweet which gives a much more laid back and anemic sound which isn't desirable, but at least it doesn't make you cringe everytime you hear a cymbal crash.
The Premier tweeters sound great! not so bad passive crossover, it was the 6.5 drive that was not handling the mid-low frequencies.

Thanks, I learn so much every day even if I only understand half of it! .
Old 04-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #160
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
I'll probably do it the same day I change my oil filter (doing 10k oil intervals now, with 5k oil filter intervals)
Don't take this the wrong way, but 10k oil interval is STUPID.
I don't care if you run a full synthetic.

I've been a mechanic for 25 years.
I've seen engines destroyed because people let their oil go LESS than 10k.

3-4k TOPS. New filter every oil change.

I change my Yaris oil at 3k intervals. I use Castrol GTX oil.

Oil is cheap, your motor is NOT.
Oil breaks down, and it is a suspension for the by-products of combustion.

I seen factory maintenance literature that says oil changes at 5-6k.
Spark plugs at 100k.

Yeah.... they can stick that up their asses.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #161
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Mantis View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but 10k oil interval is STUPID.
I don't care if you run a full synthetic.

I've been a mechanic for 25 years.
I've seen engines destroyed because people let their oil go LESS than 10k.

3-4k TOPS. New filter every oil change.

I change my Yaris oil at 3k intervals. I use Castrol GTX oil.

Oil is cheap, your motor is NOT.
Oil breaks down, and it is a suspension for the by-products of combustion.

I seen factory maintenance literature that says oil changes at 5-6k.
Spark plugs at 100k.

Yeah.... they can stick that up their asses.

got tired of throwing away (recycling) oil that came out the same exact color as when it was poured in. The oil I get is far greater quality than what is needed for 5k. I hear what you say, and have made up my mind, no more is needed to be mentioned about it in this thread... There's no point in debating something that only time... errr... thousands of miles will be able to tell.

next week i'll let you tell me that running 44psi on the tires is stupid too.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #162
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Yeah, do whatever you wanna do, bro.
It's your engine.

44psi in the tires? Cool. I run 40-44psi in my Yaris tires.
I won't argue with that!