Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
Will this work?

I'm aiming for just a couple of small tweaks to the existing stereo system, keeping a stealth/stock look. Is this a viable plan?

Stock head
Upgraded front speakers (probably MB Quarts installed as Coax)
Stock rear speakers
150-200W amp driving four main speakers, mounted under rear seats
Compact powered sub, also mounted under rear seat

Is there anyting about the output options on the stock head that will prevent this from working?
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
eflb55
its EF LB 55

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan (US)
Not that I know of. You're going to need a line out converter for the subwoofer.
eflb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by St_G View Post
I'm aiming for just a couple of small tweaks to the existing stereo system, keeping a stealth/stock look. Is this a viable plan?

Stock head
Stock rear speakers

Is there anyting about the output options on the stock head that will prevent this from working?
umm upgrade all the speakers, and yep a line out will be needed for the stock stereo, how much room is under that seat?, amp, sub, and 4 speakers ain't going to fit, sorry.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
would be fine, an LOC is no big deal.

I'd go with a component set up front though... the low door location of the yaris makes it tough to get the high frequencies up to ear level.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
St_G

With the sounstage set properly, the back fill speakers are the least important component and thus the ones that can most wait for a later upgrade.

And what made you think I was putting an amp, a sub and four speakers under one seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
umm upgrade all the speakers, and yep a line out will be needed for the stock stereo, how much room is under that seat?, amp, sub, and 4 speakers ain't going to fit, sorry.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:53 PM   #6
St_G

Yeah, I might do that. I would really rather keep everything stock in appearance, but a couple of tweeters moutned on the door wouldn't be too terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman View Post
I'd go with a component set up front though... the low door location of the yaris makes it tough to get the high frequencies up to ear level.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
eflb55
its EF LB 55

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan (US)
Component will sound much better than coaxial. Other than that it seems fine, replacing the rear speakers may be a worthy upgrade down the road but I have yet to found out if it fits where the stock speakers have. I think people have had troubles with that and it might throw off your stock look.
eflb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #8
bugnuts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback BBP
Already did this, sounds great!!

I would change all speakers, when i removed mine to replace them i could not believe the size of the magnets (about 1"), The cheapest crapass speakers i have ever seen!! The stock head unit will do fine with a L.O.C., Check this thread for what I did. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=fiberglass
bugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:23 PM   #9
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
And what made you think I was putting an amp, a sub and four speakers under one seat?
im guessing this made him think that ;)

Quote:
and like everyone else said, you will need a line out converter for the amps, and a powered sub may likley already have a high lvl input on it.

you should be fine keeping the rear spearers stock, but i would not power them with the amplifier, for they will not be able to handle the power...
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:07 AM   #10
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
With the sounstage set properly, the back fill speakers are the least important component and thus the ones that can most wait for a later upgrade.

your original post
"150-200W amp driving four main speakers, mounted under rear seats
Compact powered sub, also mounted under rear seat"

If you meant to say 150-200W amp mounted under the rear seat driving the four main speakers, you probably should have!

also the amp will need air flow to keep cool, as will the powered sub, how much room is under the rear seat in that hatch? I drive the sedan version.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:10 AM   #11
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Quote:

Stock head
Stock rear speakers

Should work fine, in fact, as long as your 4 channel amp can take a Line Level input and has an output to send the signal to an additional amp (or powered sub) you won't even need a line converter. I would like to make one little suggestion though, go with Component Front speakers and upgrade the rears to Coaxes of the same brand... the stock speakers are really really pathetic, you'll understand right away when you take them out and examine their construction. The stock head should do fine, especially since you're externally amplifying all speakers, if you weren't doing that, I would have definately suggested a new head unit.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:54 PM   #12
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
there is a spot behind the seat between the plastic devider that seperates the trunk from the seat where amps and a couple clarion slim 10 subs will fit if you make a custom box. under the seat i doubt you could get all that to fit.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:24 AM   #13
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
there is a spot behind the seat between the plastic devider that seperates the trunk from the seat where amps and a couple clarion slim 10 subs will fit if you make a custom box. under the seat i doubt you could get all that to fit.
He may be able to fit it under the liftback's rear seats though.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote