Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-16-2006, 09:11 PM   #415
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
Thanks for your explanation Swng, then that make sense.

However, I go fill up after 1 bar is gone cuz of the cheaper gas price,
and it turns out 9.621L for 143.2km, which is 6.718L/100km.
I thought the car will stay around 7.3L/100km forever cuz of about 10 fill up after I got the car. I just got 6.92L/100km last fill, it seems getting better and better now.

This car is full of surprise
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:46 PM   #416
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
Well actually, I think that's the only way to get a/c without push the a/c button. Its to turn the nob pointing to 'air out to dash'. I am sure that is using a/c because its a heck lot cooler. so instead, might as well use the a/c so it points directly to ya. ha ha.

Thanks for your anwser...but you are right about staying cool without pushing the button, if I flip the lever so the air circulates within the cabin it starts to get warm but when I flip it to circulate air from the outside it cools down. Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #417
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Update:

415 clicks / 33 Litre
7.95 L/100km 35.54 mpg.
Number one, it was all cities. Two, I blasted my a/c like there is no tomorrow lately, it's been 33+ as of late. Even during the night is pretty hot.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:08 PM   #418
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Selecting the fresh air setting only brings in the outside air. So if it is 95 degrees outside, then this setting will NOT do any good. Only the AC button will help. However, on those cool morning or cool evenings, the fresh air setting might be all that is needed.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:10 PM   #419
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
If you wish to rely solely or heavily on the "cool" air from outside, please consider buying a sun shade to prevent the sun from shining directly into your car while it is parked. Even the most expensive types should be quite affordable and they are effective. In the long run, because of the resultant reduction of the A/C's workload and hence improvement in fuel economy, the sun shade will pay for itself.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #420
spacemanoeuvres
spase peepole

Drives: BLAZING BLUE Liftback 5 Speed
Just filled up for the first time on Saturday.

Liftback took 11.009 gallons with the odometer on 395.

That's approx 35.9 (US) miles per gallon...meh, not great

Driving was 65/35 highway/city and I had the AC running about 65-75% of the city miles.

The car seems to do much better with the AC off.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #421
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearturtle44
Selecting the fresh air setting only brings in the outside air. So if it is 95 degrees outside, then this setting will NOT do any good. Only the AC button will help. However, on those cool morning or cool evenings, the fresh air setting might be all that is needed.

Kevin

You are totally right on that...especially when its like 90 and above or even 80 but in my experience any day below 80 degrees, even with the fresh air setting, it gets pretty cool and I'm surprised as this is from the out side air as you were explaining so Sure it may take a little longer to cool than a/c but overall it works, maybe most people won't be satisfied with it but I'm skinny and I'm pretty much a passive person generally speaking so I don't mind as long as I'm comfterable-each to his/her own. If I put on the circulation for internal only, and not coming from the outside it starts to get "warm" but if I switch it back it "cools" the cabin down, so I'm not complaining. Even summer evenings it cools down pretty nicely.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #422
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
If you wish to rely solely or heavily on the "cool" air from outside, please consider buying a sun shade to prevent the sun from shining directly into your car while it is parked. Even the most expensive types should be quite affordable and they are effective. In the long run, because of the resultant reduction of the A/C's workload and hence improvement in fuel economy, the sun shade will pay for itself.
Couldn't agree more and I believe this is a cheap effective idea. Even if you have tinted your side windows, you could not tint your front dash windows, so a sun shade would be kick in nicely.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #423
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Just filled up again. Went 447 miles and used 10.106 gallons of gas. That is 44.23 mpg US.

That is 5.32 liters/100 km.

Since I've had the car, I've driven 932 miles and used 21.64 gallons of gas. That is 43.07 mpg US and 5.46 liters/100 km.

I can tell my car is finally starting to loosen up a bit. I hope the increase in gas mileage continues.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #424
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

5.32, that is insane!
Old 06-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #425
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
Just filled up again. Went 447 miles and used 10.106 gallons of gas. That is 44.23 mpg US.

That is 5.32 liters/100 km.

Since I've had the car, I've driven 932 miles and used 21.64 gallons of gas. That is 43.07 mpg US and 5.46 liters/100 km.

I can tell my car is finally starting to loosen up a bit. I hope the increase in gas mileage continues.

Wow! That's amazing! And your not even at the 1000k mark...very nice I guess cars vary when it comes to "break-in" times, some take awhile and some don't So what's your driving style? Obviously stay within the speed limit? Lower than it? Mostly city, highway, both? I know I can look up how to "conserve" gas and what not but real world figures or personal testimonies are always interesting and informative, obviously it will vary from car to car and enviroment and driving style, just curious.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:56 PM   #426
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
why, did you drive alot of highway miles to get that good milage. That is really good. I'm getting about 38 miles to the gallon. But I'm driving fast and doing half city driving and half highway. I've got 1,700 miles on my little yaris now. Love that car.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:23 PM   #427
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

I don't actually drive very much. I go from my home to the nearest center and back, and that is about it. The last time I filled up my car before yesterday was 5/27, lol.

I don't know the exact percentage of highway driving, but I do very little stop and go city like driving.

It might be 50/50 highway at most, and my average highway speed isn't very fast. The limit is 55, and I usually get it up to 60 and let the car coast down to 50.

I'm light on the gas and the brake, and I avoid accelerating up hills whenever possible, even though the area I live in is rather hilly.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:28 PM   #428
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Quote:
I don't actually drive very much. I go from my home to the nearest center and back, and that is about it. The last time I filled up my car before yesterday was 5/27, lol.

I don't know the exact percentage of highway driving, but I do very little stop and go city like driving.

It might be 50/50 highway at most, and my average highway speed isn't very fast. The limit is 55, and I usually get it up to 60 and let the car coast down to 50.

I'm light on the gas and the brake, and I avoid accelerating up hills whenever possible, even though the area I live in is rather hilly.

Thanks for the response...you mentioned you go somewhere close to you? I thought short trips effect gas milage cause the engine doens't have time to warm up and get to "normal" operating temp but hey there are exceptions. With me my part-time job is 10 min 15 min tops and my car warms up but I'm sure it doesn't warm up to full "normal" operating temp as I'm not travelling far, I'm sure that it effects my milage. Oh well!
Old 06-24-2006, 03:48 PM   #429
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:

Thanks for sharing your experience. You must have done something right, and it does seem to me that you have, to achieve the good results that you posted on 06-22-2006. Please keep on posting as you get better and better mpg numbers.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:57 AM   #430
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000
Thanks for the response...you mentioned you go somewhere close to you? I thought short trips effect gas milage cause the engine doens't have time to warm up and get to "normal" operating temp but hey there are exceptions. With me my part-time job is 10 min 15 min tops and my car warms up but I'm sure it doesn't warm up to full "normal" operating temp as I'm not travelling far, I'm sure that it effects my milage. Oh well!
Well for me the cool light usually turns off before I get out of my neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
Thanks for sharing your experience. You must have done something right, and it does seem to me that you have, to achieve the good results that you posted on 06-22-2006. Please keep on posting as you get better and better mpg numbers.
lol, will do.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:31 PM   #431
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
The "cool" light will go off depending on outside temp. If the o/s temp is 90 degrees then it will go off fast as the engine will get to warm very fast. If the o/s temp is 20 degrees, then expect that light to take longer. Correct??

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:20 PM   #432
asa805

Drives: 07 White 2dr Yaris Hatch
I dont know how so many people are getting such good mpg! I did only one fillup thus far (with A/C on for most of the miles and no trips more than 15 minutes) and id say with 90% city driving i avg. 27 MPG!!!

This sucks and im pretty dissapointed in it. I know i drive in NYC and apparently it is an ethanol blend city, so perhaps that is why.

Should i expect to see improvement since the car is not broken in yet?
asa805 is offline   Reply With Quote