Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
Vervepipes
CowCountry Hornet Handler

Drives: '08 Sedan
Rent gouging :(

Well, I live in a mobile home on leased land and they have for the second time in 2 years by 40$ up to 340/month! It's either I lose my home or car, but I need a way to get to work and so does my wife so I'm swallowing my pride and moving back onto the base :( Anybody else getting gouged by greedy landlords?
Vervepipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
my mom deals with that shit all the time. she's in a trailer park and they keep raising the rent. it's bullshit because it's not like they're really doing anything to justify raising the rent like that. in germany a landlord has to do major improvements to the property/house in order to raise rent.
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #3
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
340. is half my rent price!!!!

I live in a some what ran down 1940's build 1 bedroom apartment
Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
In Ontario, the maximum a landlord can raise your rent is 6% a year, unless they can prove that substantial improvements were done on the house/property. From $300 to $340 is about 13%... pretty substantial... perhaps you could see if you have any similar laws for your situation?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
Vervepipes

No rent control laws here, they shot it down pretty strongly recently. And 340 is only the pad rent, I still pay morgage and property taxes. All together I'm paying about a grand a month to live in a trailer
Old 06-07-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
ceres
Club Baby Seals

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Why do you have to pay a mortgage and property taxes on something you lease? Or is that for some other property? Seems pretty weird. I thought leasing basically meant you avoided the other two.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:39 AM   #7
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
get ready to feel better about your housing situation gentlemen. 1 bedroom in los angeles, just north of culver city: 1450. 2 bedroom in west los angeles, 2100. this was 2 years ago when we were still renting. add gas prices into the equation, and well, you know how it goes...

--B

ps: these apartments arent the greatest either... no central air, cable, etc...
Old 06-08-2007, 02:32 AM   #8
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
check san diego prices if you wanna crap yourselves.
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #9
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Yeah, this is why I stay in Texas and not California and this is also an explanation for the influx of mega californians to texas in recent times. I'm in the mortgage business trust me I know.

Wow I've never lived in a trailer park but there aint no way I'd pay a grand a month for that.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 AM   #10
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vervepipes View Post
Well, I live in a mobile home on leased land and they have for the second time in 2 years by 40$ up to 340/month! It's either I lose my home or car, but I need a way to get to work and so does my wife so I'm swallowing my pride and moving back onto the base :( Anybody else getting gouged by greedy landlords?
hang in there man. i don't know about anyone else here but i personally have had to move back in with my mom. it sucks but hey...at least you have somewhere to go. that does sound like a bunch of bullocks but THE MAN is the king of bullocks.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #11
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
I haven't lived in base housing for over 20 years, but I saved a lot of coin doing so. It always seemed that the AIR FORCE had superior facilities compared to ours anyhow. Look it this way, more pocket coin for Yaris goodies.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #12
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
That's ridiculous! I can't believe this landlord can get away with it--you could probably buy a little land for that much per month! Nothing wrong with moving back to base until you can find a better situation. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:16 AM   #13
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Are you in the Military? Honestly I don't know why are you having problems with rent since they pay for housing and let me tell you that it is a pretty good allowance. I'm an E-6 in the NAVY and with my housing allowance I pay for my house, water and electricity and still have left over for a tank of gas.
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #14
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

let's lynch the lanlord!
Old 06-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #15
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
just to clear things up....

not living with my mom now. hahaha, did in the past.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #16
Vervepipes

To clear it up, I'm in the Canadian Air Force and they consider this town having no need of cost of living allowance, so I only get my salary and nothing else. Cold lake is a little shit town population 10,000 that has a glut of oilworkers willing to pay 400k on a house or 200k on a trailer so things are expensive here, maybe not LA expensive but not livable on my pay. I pay lease and a morgage because I own the home but not the land it's on so when taxes go up 35% like this year not only do my taxes go up, so does the lease. Our military housing isnt so great on this base: 50 year old 700 sq foot houses built with 2X4's that cost 350/month to heat
Old 06-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #17
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vervepipes View Post
To clear it up, I'm in the Canadian Air Force and they consider this town having no need of cost of living allowance, so I only get my salary and nothing else. Cold lake is a little shit town population 10,000 that has a glut of oilworkers willing to pay 400k on a house or 200k on a trailer so things are expensive here, maybe not LA expensive but not livable on my pay. I pay lease and a morgage because I own the home but not the land it's on so when taxes go up 35% like this year not only do my taxes go up, so does the lease. Our military housing isnt so great on this base: 50 year old 700 sq foot houses built with 2X4's that cost 350/month to heat
That sucks! I hate to hear CAF doesn't do a better job of caring for it's people. Not that this helps, but I worked with your Army when I was in the service and assumed they took pretty good care of service people up there.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:59 PM   #18
Vervepipes

Generally they do, rent on base isnt too much (thats why I'm going back there) and many bases get good compensation for living in expensive areas, but I dont know when the last time they did an assessment... prices have doubled here in 2 years and taxes have gone up a lot as well. The also consider this place "semi-isolated" because it has a hospital but everything from groceries and building supplies still cost more than in the city 3 1/2 hours away