Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
Hard_Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris
Echo's belong here too?

Hi,
I am going to look at a 2005 echo hatchback with 118,000km on it, where do i find out if this is a good price? asking price is $4750 Canadian, seller has all service records, and has been maintained every 6000km, garage kept.

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong spot.

Thanks
Hard_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
seems steep to me. Every car seems to have a basement $ amount they hit and won't go below if it is a running car. For a 12 year old car you should be close to that and IMO it should be somewhere around $3500 for a well running Echo etested and safety'd.

That said, if you find the body is in excellent shape (rust proofed every year etc) and you trust the seller and their records/what he says then it would be worth spending more. However, you can use these points to talk him/her down.

Don't be fooled by low km's, when you have a 12 year old car low km's can be just as bad as crazy high km's (>300k km). Cars that sit never do well, same with a car that was mainly city driven and or short trips/lots of traffic. Not always the easiest to find but an ideal is an engine that has gone WOT every week or so and does longerish highway trips rarely in traffic. This is why I never buy a car from a dealer and always buy from previous owners. Talking with them can yield a lot of information.

Use any signs of oil weeps/leaks to bring the price down. Many sellers figure an old car should be leaking but in reality you don't want to ruin a driveway with a leaky car. Check prices in your area for similar cars as well as used car lot prices. A private seller should be priced below a used car lot.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
Hard_Yaris

thanks for the response! I think it might have been a daily commuter with short distances about 20Km at a time.
from the photos the body looks great, where should i look for rust on this car, i think it was mainly winter driven. and how do i tell if the rustproofing has been happening?
What does WOT mean?

Thanks again
Old 06-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
Yaris709

Drives: 07 yaris
4750 for a 12 year old echo is way high in my books. I payed 2500 for my 2007 yaris 200k and rust free in excellent condition with all highway miles from halifax to thunder bay. Put 60k km since I had it with only replacing brakes and a muffler.
Yaris709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #5
Yaris709

Drives: 07 yaris
I had an echo and in all honesty the yaris is a more comfortable car to drive daily. Less road and wind noise, handles better on the highway. Slightly less gas mileage than the echo but my echo was standard yaris is auto.
Yaris709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
WOT = Wide Open Throttle

Funny thing about the Echo Hatch here in Canada, they hold their value more than the Yaris. Bugs the hell out of me when I look at listings and find 2006, 07, and even 08 Yaris Hatch available for less than '05 Echos.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2017, 12:39 AM   #7
Hard_Yaris

Thanks everyone,...my fancy with the echo is the drive by cable vs the new drive by wire... LOVE that sensation.

the thing is, this echo has been a short commuter car, and i own a 2007 yaris where i have taken everywhere, and everywhere again and again. very long distances and WOT with almost every acceleration. love driving the Yaris, but i can't get over how awesome the echo was for the simple fact that it was drive by cable.
So if this person baby'd the car too much and didn't go WOT what would be my concerns, and how would I test drive it and know its gummed up because of the short trips and lack of WOT. Note this car has excellent service records, and has a aftermarket cold air intake.
Belt/coolant/plugs/trans done about 90,000km
probably needs new brakes and suspension.