Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
bnold5000

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
Mystery Device in my Yaris?

Hello Everyone,

I just bought a 2010 Yaris from a used car dealer. The previous owner had installed some type of electronic device and I haven't been able to figure out what it is yet. I'm wondering if anyone here might recognize this device by my photo and can tell me what it is? It has a red button on the face, but when I push it, nothing seems to happen. It does have 2 wires tying it into the circuit board and several wires going right under the dash and one wire going back and disappearing under the door jam cover. Thanks!

Name:  mystery device.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  147.0 KB

Name:  mystery device 2.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  167.9 KB
bnold5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Try pushing the button while the car is running and turn the key off. It might be a device like the cop cars have that will keep the engine running without the ignition being on.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Was the guy named Bruce Wayne by any chance ?
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
bnold5000

replies

Thanks for the idea!

DAK - I tried this as you suggested.......and when I did.......the engine stopped like normal (when the key was turned off with the button depressed). I did unscrew the device from the dash so I could see the back of it. I thought there might be some brand name or other such clue as to what it was.......no luck with this either.

DC - No.....the name on the title was not the one you mentioned
Old 06-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #5
bnold5000

I also thought that the wires that were tapped into might be a clue. You can see this in the second photo.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
That looks very similar to the device I have in the same place in my car. Mine is part of my K.A.R.R. security system. Was pre-installed by Toyota and offered as an option. Supposedly a very programmable security system, but I've never used it beyond regular alarm functions.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #7
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Its hard to tell what is spliced into what color wire from those pictures but it looks like they are leading up to the brake lights. As odd as this question sounds for this car, did the previous owner have a hitch installed on the back? This is possibly a switch for the additional brake lights when hooked up with a trailer. Just a guess based on the area the wires are running to. It's not an immobilizer mandated by the courts because it's not RFID and I don't see the breathalyzer unit anywhere that is usually center mounted on the dash.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #8
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Hmm... Try pressing the button first, waiting a moment, and then turning the key off. I'm really curious what it's for now lol
Old 06-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
ern-diz

Took a pic of mine for comparison...
Attached Images

On Wheelwell
Old 06-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #10
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
If that's a dealership item, that is the single most ugliest, backyard'ish, "hey, I have a friend that can install it" thing I've ever seen come out of a dealership. Let's just bolt the damn thing to the dashboard...
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #11
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I have one in my car as well. Dealer said it was part of the security system. He offered to remove it if I didn't want it, but I never made an appointment to get that done. I actually forgot about it until I read this thread. Guess I'll just leave it there.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #12
ern-diz

If I remember correctly, it's what's used to program the system. Can turn it off, set it to valet mode and do a number of other things that I never looked into once.

On Wheelwell
Old 06-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Yup, most likely an aftermarket theft system. If you are really curious, try cutting a key somewhere, and using that cut key to start the car without any of the primary keys near the car. If it doesn't start, then it's an immobilizer of some sort.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #14
bnold5000

Thanks for all the input!
I just had another idea......I was wondering if it might be an unlock button for the hatchback after I just ran an errand and needed to get into the hatchback and had to shut the car off in order to take the key back there to unlock the hatchback. This would have been a great thing to add.....so you could easily open up the locked hatchback without having to shut the car off or have another key.......No Dice! This is not what the button does either.

The key that I used as my primary key is a cut key (not a factory key). No starting issues........I don't think it is an immobilizer.

If it was a security system.......you would think it would do something when you pushed the button wouldn't you? Chirp or make a sound....or maybe there would be a light? There is no sound or lights that I can see.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #15
David C

Usually aftermarket alarm systems have a push button wired to the main unit to use for setup and valet mode, etc. usually they'll put it under the driver kick panel, out of the way and view.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #16
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Usually aftermarket alarm systems have a push button wired to the main unit to use for setup and valet mode, etc. usually they'll put it under the driver kick panel, out of the way and view.
Pretty much what I've been saying lol.

On Wheelwell
Old 06-22-2017, 10:29 PM   #17
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Pretty much what I've been saying lol.

I was trying to make it more obvious to the OP, as he may not be familiar with these.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #18
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
I was trying to make it more obvious to the OP, as he may not be familiar with these.
For sure, no worries at all. I just got a laugh out of it because I said it, Kimona said the same, Kaotic (who works for Toyota) thought the same, then you confirmed, but it seems like the mystery lives on regardless lol.

On Wheelwell