Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
yarisBMD

Drives: 3dr hatchback
Cruise light missing?

Hi everyone! I just purchased and picked up my () new 2009 3 door LB and love it sans one sticking point... the cruise light on the dash doesn't come on when I engage the cruise (). It wouldn't be such a huge deal if i could see the little green light on the cruise wand light up, but alas, the positioning of the light and wheel and myself don't alight (go figure!). Since I had the cruise installed before I picked it up form the dealer I am wondering if maybe the dash display just doesn't have the light build in? Should I take it in and have then fix it? other than that the car is amazing, SO glad I bought one!
yarisBMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
if your cruise stalk is on the left hand side of your steering wheel, then it is after market and does not have a light on the dash, or any other indicator aside from the cruise switch being "on" (green).
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
You have the Rostra Cruise Control which is what Toyota uses as it's after market kit or for vehicles that do not have the power package. This means you will not have a light on your gauge panel. You will only have the green light on the stalk itself.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
yarisBMD

Knowing is half the battle!

Darn, oh well! Thanks for the reply guys! The dealership gave me the option of paying $400 to have one with cruise shipped in, or paying slightly less and having then install one so I could get the car quicker. I didn't know there was a difference really.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisBMD View Post
Darn, oh well! Thanks for the reply guys! The dealership gave me the option of paying $400 to have one with cruise shipped in, or paying slightly less and having then install one so I could get the car quicker. I didn't know there was a difference really.
If your car has manual windows and locks then you would have had the same cruise installed wether or not you had it done by the dealer or before the dealer.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
toyota
SRacer

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via Yahoo to toyota
check your manual for reassurance...

Learn The Truth about Six Pack Fast!
toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Shine a flashlight on the cluster to the right of the speedometer and see if the SET and Cruise icons are on the cluster. If they are, then you could have real OEM cruise (with the cluster indicators) with just the installation of the real OEM cruise control stalk.

Here's where the indicators are located on my 09:

CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
yarisBMD

Thanks I DO have the light there, I will have to check out about getting and OEM stalk, thanks!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks I DO have the light there, I will have to check out about getting and OEM stalk, thanks!
There are two threads on this, but basically the 07-09 Yaris ECM has the fully cruise control functionality built in. The 07-08's lack the indicator on the cluster and the wiring from the ECM to the steering wheel, unless they have factory cruise. The 09's have the indicators and the wiring, so the dealer could have saved a lot of money and work by just adding the OEM stalk. I would bet that very few have a clue that they can just add the stalk, instead of the whole aftermarket Rostra kit.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16188

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17158
Old 07-31-2009, 11:42 PM   #10
yarisBMD

Lots to read

Wow, there is a lot to read on those posts. I am going to read it over, perhaps there is a way to modify my after market Rostra stalk to trigger the cruise lights as was done in the second link you so generously gave. I did look over that thread before but it didn't click first time 'round.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #11
ivanivanix

Drives: Yaris 5 Door Liftback White
I have the same problem - the dealer had the cruise control installed for $250 (I know, it's MSRP, but they just wouldn't buldge). I have it now, but the light is NOT lit :(
I left them a message, let's see what they have to say about this...
ivanivanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #12
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanivanix View Post
I have the same problem - the dealer had the cruise control installed for $250 (I know, it's MSRP, but they just wouldn't buldge). I have it now, but the light is NOT lit :(
If the stalk is on the left side of the steering wheel it is not suppose to have a light on the dash.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
There are two kinds of CC on the Yaris - Factory and Dealer/Port Installed (=aftermarket). Factory lights the combo meter lights and Dealer Installed has a tiny little LED on its own stalk. The two are two completely different ways of accomplishing the same thing.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #14
ivanivanix

Drives: Yaris 5 Door Liftback White
Yes, the dealer just gave me a call back, and they said the same thing. I still wonder if there is a way to activate the light by doing some creative wiring
I've sifted through DIY links above but found nothing so far that would specifically discuss how to activate the light with the dealer-installed after-market cruise-control. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys!
ivanivanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Yes, the dealer just gave me a call back, and they said the same thing. I still wonder if there is a way to activate the light by doing some creative wiring
I've sifted through DIY links above but found nothing so far that would specifically discuss how to activate the light with the dealer-installed after-market cruise-control. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys!
The simple answer is no. The Rostra cruise control that is on your car does its own control, so when you are using it, the cruise control mode built into the ECM is not being used. To have the cluster light come on would mean that the two would be competing with each other.

The more complicated answer is yes. To have the Rostra unit drive the cluster light, you would have to get a two conductor wire from the guts of the Rostra stalk to the guts of the cluster. You would then need to cut the traces on the cluster PCB to isolate the cruise LED from the cluster's microcontroller. Finally, you would connect the LED output of the Rostra to the now isolated cluster LED.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #16
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i wonder why dealers do not install the OEM stalk on 09's ??!
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Probably because they have no idea that it will work. The only officially documented upgrade to cruise is with the kit.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #18
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
i wonder why dealers do not install the OEM stalk on 09's ??!
They have been doing this for over 10 years.

Tags
cruise, dashboard, light