Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #55
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
Was is this Scan Gauge everyone keeps talking about?
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #56
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
There are a number of Ecometers on the market, some have different features, all plug into the diagnostic port under the dash. Instant feedback of your FE is very helpful, it can really change your habits. The 2012-13 models have a very basic one built in, which is what I'm using at the moment.
The Scangauge II is popular, but I have not done any research yet into buying one. The one built in is hard to see, and you have to toggle between six or seven different modes.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #57
wajeehr

Drives: Toyota Vitz
having a similar kind of problem these days ...
do you people have some solution besides keep the fuel tank full
wajeehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #58
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajeehr View Post
having a similar kind of problem these days ...
do you people have some solution besides keep the fuel tank full
Ah keeping the tank full! (or half full) Simple, cheap and effective!

Who woulda thunk it?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #59
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Ah keeping the tank full! (or half full) Simple, cheap and effective!

Who woulda thunk it?
^^^^^ This post prompted me to think about a question I've never happened upon on Yarisworld....namely...How much does a gallon of gas weigh? Your thought above prompted me to think about members who have taken out their rear seats (some re the weight). I wonder how the weight of half a tank of gas would compare to the rear seat and seat back (and bolts/hardware)?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #60
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Gas is 7 pounds per gallon. Thats 77 pounds for a full tank. Not a good reason to drive around 1/2 full!

I would take my rear seat out too but what if I sell the car? I would lose everything!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #61
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Gas is 7 pounds per gallon. Thats 77 pounds for a full tank. Not a good reason to drive around 1/2 full!

I would take my rear seat out too but what if I sell the car? I would lose everything!
Any idea how much the rear seat/back/and hardware weigh? Just curious.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #62
gollygirl1

Drives: YR Yaris 2013
Quote:
Hmm. It never ceases to amaze me that people regularly drive with, not only less than half a tank of gas, but even less than that. They seem to be mesmerized by technology that gives them the "blinking gas gauge" to tell them when they are "about" to run out of gas. That this "technology" might all be less than reliable never seems to occur to them. That there might be an emergency and difficulty in obtaining a full tank they have no clue.

Running out of gas on the highway is just bound to happen at some point. Cover your ass!
Agreed, I try to keep my tank 1/2 to full - never like to let it get much below half if I can help it. You never know when you might have an emergency or something.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #63
gollygirl1

Quote:

I always think the worst. You live longer that way.
Me too, glad i am not the only one !!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #64
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygirl1 View Post
You never know when you might have an emergency
That is why I have AAA (Auto Club/emergency service). If I never actually use the service, then I'm not getting the value I could out of paying for it.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #65
gollygirl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
That is why I have AAA (Auto Club/emergency service). If I never actually use the service, then I'm not getting the value I could out of paying for it.
I am with RACQ (a car club) as well - but the sort of emergency I was thinking of is if someone in the family suddenly took ill and you had to take them to hospital in the middle of the night and the local service station (gas station) is shut?

I was not actually thinking of a "car emergency" breakdown.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #66
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Me too, glad i am not the only one !!
Me three! I do have to bite my tongue though when I'm around my little cousin or I'll get an earful from her mom....and her mom is right (I have come to believe). If kids develop cynicism (I think a certain amount is healthy), it should be from their own experience and not from mimicking/modeling adult relatives, IMO.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #67
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I am with RACQ (a car club) as well - but the sort of emergency I was thinking of is if someone in the family suddenly took ill and you had to take them to hospital in the middle of the night and the local service station (gas station) is shut?

I was not actually thinking of a "car emergency" breakdown.
Other than about a year in various parts of the Sierra Nevada mountains (+ traveling), I've never lived more than 40 or so miles (and usually much less) from a major U.S. city and 24 hour gas stations have been a reality near such for eons. If someone became Ill as you described (and I was here in my adopted home county), I'd call 911.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #68
gollygirl1

Quote:
Other than about a year in various parts of the Sierra Nevada mountains (+ traveling), I've never lived more than 40 or so miles (and usually much less) from a major U.S. city and 24 hour gas stations have been a reality near such for eons. If someone became Ill as you described (and I was here in my adopted home county), I'd call 911.
True there are 24/7 service stations but some smaller towns in Australia may only have one if they are lucky and it may not be open all hours. And as for 911 - sure, that is always an option - but not if you have a sick animal that needs to be rushed to emergency - (had that sad experience myself) - you sure appreciate a tank of petrol then !!!!

I do think it is wise to not allow yourself to be run empty if you can help it. Best err on the side of caution than throw caution to the wind !!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #69
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
but not if you have a sick animal that needs to be rushed to emergency
Not applicable to me personally, but good point!

Quote:
I do think it is wise to not allow yourself to be run empty if you can help it. Best err on the side of caution than throw caution to the wind !
To me it is like a game to see how accurate I can be re how much gas I have left. If I run out and have to call AAA, the gas = part of my membership (no cost when they come out...for x number of times per year before they start charging per call) so I'm getting more value from my membership. Also, there is more time that I'm carrying around less gas, which increases my MPG ever so slightly. The only time I don't do this is if I'm driving my little cousin around, as her mother looks at this more the way you do.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:27 AM   #70
gollygirl1

Quote:

To me it is like a game to see how accurate I can be re how much gas I have left. If I run out and have to call AAA, the gas = part of my membership (no cost when they come out...for x number of times per year before they start charging per call) so I'm getting more value from my membership. Also, there is more time that I'm carrying around less gas, which increases my MPG ever so slightly. The only time I don't do this is if I'm driving my little cousin around, as her mother looks at this more the way you do.
Remind me not to get a lift with you !!! I dont want to have to thumb a ride home.

Our RACQ charges you here if you run out of petrol - and it is not cheap. The callout if free but the re-fuel is not.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:34 AM   #71
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
Never had it run out, but did have the feeling it was off. Sometimes it goes down slower than others. Like yesterday night I filled it and it was approx 8 km away from home. went to another city and came back and it still showed full. Drove it approx 25km more and it went down one bar, so that was like 137km total distance to go down. Drove it again 55km and it went back down another bar. Filled it up to the top, and was 13.856L. Not too far off, but the gauges arent as accurate as we would prefer. Its a 42L tank, about 11 gallons.
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote