Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
2009Yaris

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Warrany Service Problem?

I recently discovered a scrapping sound on my Yaris when the steering wheel is turned hard right. The dealer that I have servicing the car informed me that the rotor is rubbing against the backing plate. He also quoted a price to fix the problem. Confused, I told him that the car still has less than 36K miles on the odometer; therefore, the repair should be covered under warranty. He then tried to say that the guy who replaced my pads caused the problem, which was news to me because the car still has the original pads. He retorted that the pads could not be the original pads because they looked new. I know for a fact that the pads are original, that is, unless they were replaced by the brake fairy in the middle of the night. The reason why they look new is because I am a very conservative driver (i.e., I drive like an old man), and 95% of the mileage on that car is highway mileage. Has anyone had this type of problem with their Yaris?

I guess that I should have caught this problem sooner. However, I rarely make turns that require turning the wheel hard right or left, and the sound is easily missed with the windows rolled up and the radio on. If push comes to shove, I will pay for the repair, but I will send a nasty-gram about my experience with the dealer's service department to Toyota Motor Sales, USA.
2009Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
What did he quote for the repair? I ask because it usually involves tightening or tweaking the backing plate. It should be a fairly simple repair.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If it really is just the rotor scraping against the plate, then it may simply be that the plate is bent (from road debris, etc.) If that is the case, the fix is simply to flex the plate back to where it should be, as the plate is just a thin piece of sheet metal.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
IF Toyota tech had REALLY addressed your concern he would have seen under inspection that your pads were indeed toyota ones. i believe this dealer is trying to imply that your noise is from something you hit rather than a warranty issue.......

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
You should take it to another dealership and never go back to the first one for anything again. Sure, it may be a simple fix, but for them to imply that your brakes are new and therefore not their problem is sub-par.

BTW, in addition, reading between the lines, they called you a liar to your face.
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote