Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
1zz Throttle body review/tips

Hey everyone!

A few days ago I installed the 1zz throttle body onto my 2009 yaris liftback MT.

I wanted to write up a little review and give some tips as to how it works and how to do it right.
First off I ordered the one with the part number 030 at the end, after I had both throttle bodies off the car, I compared the 2 part numbers on them and they both end in the 030. I think this is why the one with the 030 part number is more compatible with the yaris.

Tips on install: I had to get a deep socket 10 mm socket, it helped a lot with taking the 10mm bolts off the throttle body. There are 2 sets of 10mm bolts on the top, the second set is harder to get to and is where you need the deep socket.

You also need some gasket maker. I used Permatex Ultra copper to seal the space behind the throttle body to the stock intake manifold.
You don't NEED the high temp stuff like what I used, but it's what I had left over from when I installed my header so I just used it.
It's there to make sure your fitment is air tight.

Make sure you disconnect your battery BEFORE you start your work.
The whole job may take 1-2 hours, it took me about 2 with basic hand tools.
But during that time your ECU will reset. After you're done and have everything hooked back up, then reconnect the battery and just let the car idle, wait 10 minutes at the least, I know 10 minutes seems like a long time but it's worth it.

All those things helped me I believe. I haven't had any problem since the install.
The only cons so far are:
Very high idle when it starts cold. Not sure how high as I don't have a tach, but you can just get in and drive it and it will go away in about 30 seconds depending on how warm it is outside.

And the throttle sometimes stays open when I don't have the car in gear and I tap the gas, but it's only for about a second, like it has a delay.
This is also very rare and don't happen often.

The review:
Overall I think it did add a few ponies. I can hear my Weapon R intake a LOT more now and it seems to get up and go a lot better.
My other engine mods are:
DC sports header,
complete lightweight pulley kit,
Weapon R secret weapon intake with Ram air tube,
and custom mandrell bent 2.5" exhaust.
Definitely worth the money and time.
I did NOT do the chip swap though, and it has been fine.

I recommend it.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I'm glad this worked out well -- I know you were a little concerned, but you were patient, did it right and got a good result.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
So it did fit on the intake? That is cool. Good to see it can be done with minimal fuss.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
The 55mm butterfly clears the smaller 46mm bore because it's round and high enough so that the edges don't touch. Did you need to remove the stock o ring gasket? The 1ZZ will definitely give you a quicker throttle.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I have the 1zz tb as well on my 2007. High idle at startup when cold is common, verified with the scan gauge. Congrats on the successful install. My mechanic did mine in under 30 minutes. A worthwhile mod!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Having spent the amount of time(over a year) running the 1zz I think the solid recommendation is a little strong. Proceed with caution is more accurate IMO...

I'm going to try it out when I go boosted or feel particularly bored, having just gone back from the 1zz I can say I don't feel like I'm missing anything except a little top end.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Having spent the amount of time(over a year) running the 1zz I think the solid recommendation is a little strong. Proceed with caution is more accurate IMO...
I'm sure that's true with a stock manifold because it's only designed to handle the flow of a 46mm throttle body. But it's a whole different story when the 1ZZ is mated up to a manifold that's large enough to handle its flow capabilities.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I'm sure that's true with a stock manifold because it's only designed to handle the flow of a 46mm throttle body. But it's a whole different story when the 1ZZ is mated up to a manifold that's large enough to handle its flow capabilities.

I've had it on both, although admittedly I didn't run it more than 24 hrs in the new manifold...

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
tooter
play every day

Quote:
I've had it on both, although admittedly I didn't run it more than 24 hrs in the new manifold...
Why did you go back to the 1nz? I'd never want to give up the improved throttle response.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #10
thefalls

Drives: Axio GT
Hi,can you share the full part number.
Thanks.

Edit* Found it.
22030-0D030

Last edited by thefalls; 04-28-2013 at 06:33 AM.
thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I'm glad this worked out well -- I know you were a little concerned, but you were patient, did it right and got a good result.
I was very concerned. All the mods i've done so far have never given me any bad results. I do weeks, sometimes months of research about a mod before I do it, but in the end you don't really know what will happen until you do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
So it did fit on the intake? That is cool. Good to see it can be done with minimal fuss.
Yeah it fits the intake.
The intake I have came with a rubber adapter that shrinks down the size of the rubber connector, I simply removed it and used the same rubber connecter it came with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
The 55mm butterfly clears the smaller 46mm bore because it's round and high enough so that the edges don't touch. Did you need to remove the stock o ring gasket? The 1ZZ will definitely give you a quicker throttle.
Not sure where the o-ring gasket it. It is behind the throttle body where the TB connects to the manifold?
If so, I did not remove that.

Quote:
I know it hasn't worked with everyone. But I think it's a worthwhile thing to at least try.

I'm not sure how it will work out boosted, I don't know of anyone that has tried it yet.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #12
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

Drives: 2011 Toyota Vios
I'm gonna give it a shot. Where'd you get the resources on how to install it properly? You have some mechanic skill or you just winged it?

x-Check out my build thread-x
HANZO's Build Thread
HANZO_187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #13
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
It's super easy. I will say, the thing that the OP missed was the coolant lines. I had to swap them because of the location of the inlet and outlet of the 1zz throttle body compared to the 1nz. It worked out fine though.

If its your first time, I recommend taking pictures with your phone before and thru the process of it. Just so you will have a reference to look back on if you happen to forget what went where.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #14
tooter
play every day

It's a pretty straightforward swap. The stud holes are exactly the same. While you will need longer liquid heating hoses to reach the fittings...

I recommend gently chipping away the epoxy from around the tiny allen head screw that controls the butterfly idle stop. Then you can turn it town about a turn until you get a nice slow hot idle.

The high cold start idle will remain the same at about 2,000 rpm because that's determined by the ECU. But it drops down to normal really fast especially if you reset the hot idle down low.

Remember that the opening in your manifold is still the same diameter so maximum flow is restricted. However, you will definitely have better throttle response, as the larger butterfly opens wider quicker. Make sure you use an allen wrench that fits very tightly. You do not want to strip the head of that tiny screw.

The properly sized silicone adaptor will allow the 1ZZ throttle body to accept just about any aftermarket intake. You can also see the location of the tiny idle adjustment screw at the center top of the photo.

Greg
Old 02-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

I'm really wanting to take this on. Ok, so the hoses where can you get longer ones at? I also have a Cosmic Racing CAI and working on getting after-market headers (Megan, DC) wondering if it will still fit to everything proper but this is down the line.

I wanna squeeze as much info I can before going into this but it seems pretty straight forward. Gonna get a BLOX adapter just in case...better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. appreciate the 101 guys.

I got my first Auto X coming up in march and I'd like to squeeze what ever I can out before hand.

HANZO's Build Thread
Old 02-08-2014, 01:50 AM   #16
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
I also did this mod and recommend it for sure. I had to modify the OEM hose slightly by removing a very thin layer of rubber with a dremel. No biggie and worked like a charm and did a coolant bypass with a copper joint.

I also have a high idle for around 60 sec or so. I've had it that way for many years and I've had zero problems, FWIW.

@HANZO_187: There's a couple of very good threads about this info. Just keep in mind that some 1zz tb's work without having to swap chips (located at the base), while others apparently require it. I did it in about 10 min (maybe less) by using a drill with a very narrow bit (so that it only destroys the rivets and nothing else). HTH

Last edited by tk-421; 02-08-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: secs instead of mins :P
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:08 AM   #17
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
I also did this mod and recommend it for sure. I had to modify the OEM hose slightly by removing a very thin layer of rubber with a dremel. No biggie and worked like a charm and did a coolant bypass with a copper joint.

I also have a high idle for around 60 min or so. I've had it that way for many years and I've had zero problems, FWIW.

@HANZO_187: There's a couple of very good threads about this info. Just keep in mind that some 1zz tb's work without having to swap chips (located at the base), while others apparently require it. I did it in about 10 min (maybe less) by using a drill with a very narrow bit (so that it only destroys the rivets and nothing else). HTH
you mean 60 seconds right?

As far as the hose go, you can use the hoses that are on the car, just swap them around. Make sure you have a pan under the car to catch the coolant when you pull the hoses off. you can use a used spark plug to plug the hose when you disconnect them from the throttle body and try to be fast. If your not fast enough, its going to get messy.. lol, but its not a big deal at all. I just zip tied them together to keep them away from the shifter cables

Now, on the stock manifold, I measured the rubber "O" ring on the mani-throttle body. I did not have to make a gasket. The 1zz throttle body fit just right where it sealed up with the throttle body. It was close, but I did not have an issue with any leaks. I used the existing O ring on the manifold.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #18
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

Ok cool, I'm getting the ideal process for this now. My other question now is do we know if what main years the 1zz TB come off of? I know a Toyota Matrix has it but not sure if any other cars and years.

HANZO's Build Thread