Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
jb48
jb48

Drives: 2008 hatchback automatic
Checking oil in the Yaris

I woul like to know if you encounter the same problem than me when checking oil level in your Yaris. When I pull the dipstick, wipe it, reinsert and pull it again. one side of the metallic blade has oil almost to the handle while the other side seems to show correct level??? While this is surely not important problem, I would like to know why this happens.
I noticed that when I pull-wipe-reinsert-pull again and so on for, let`s say 6 to 8 times, oil on the <wrong> side of the blade tends to thin out. Can it be that the tube is so narrow that one side is scraping it of its oil naturally clinging to the inside diameter?
Another small problem (well, not really a problem) is that I like to check oil after the car is parked (level) overnight. First time I pull the dipstick, it shows about a quarter inch (as an example) under full mark. If I wipe it, reinsert and pull again, it shows almost full to the max line, getting the same last result if I repeat again and again. Now, let`s push the experiment another step: start the cold engine, let it idle a minute, stop it, wait another minute and check the oil level again. This time, even if admitedly all the oil has not returned to the pan, the oil level on the dipstick shows almost full to the max line, exactly as before running the cold engine for a minute! It`s against logic that oil level is a little bit lower in the overnight parked scenario than after running!
Ok, a little less than a quarter inch reading difference is nothing to consider, compared to the relatively long distance between the add and max dots, but the rational side of my mind is challenged! And I still didn`t find a confirmed explanation of the huge difference between oil level on both side of the dipstick blade?
jb48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
oil gets scraped off one side along the curvature of the dip tube.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Mine has a plastic dipstick. As much as it looks cheap, it works fine.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
jb48
jb48

Thanks for your answer Bluevitz, I was suspecting such an explanation for the high level of oil showing on one side of the stick. Now I`am waiting for the procedure showing the highest precision oil level measurement.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb48 View Post
I woul like to know if you encounter the same problem than me when checking oil level in your Yaris. When I pull the dipstick, wipe it, reinsert and pull it again. one side of the metallic blade has oil almost to the handle while the other side seems to show correct level??? While this is surely not important problem, I would like to know why this happens.
I noticed that when I pull-wipe-reinsert-pull again and so on for, let`s say 6 to 8 times, oil on the <wrong> side of the blade tends to thin out. Can it be that the tube is so narrow that one side is scraping it of its oil naturally clinging to the inside diameter?
Another small problem (well, not really a problem) is that I like to check oil after the car is parked (level) overnight. First time I pull the dipstick, it shows about a quarter inch (as an example) under full mark. If I wipe it, reinsert and pull again, it shows almost full to the max line, getting the same last result if I repeat again and again. Now, let`s push the experiment another step: start the cold engine, let it idle a minute, stop it, wait another minute and check the oil level again. This time, even if admitedly all the oil has not returned to the pan, the oil level on the dipstick shows almost full to the max line, exactly as before running the cold engine for a minute! It`s against logic that oil level is a little bit lower in the overnight parked scenario than after running!
Ok, a little less than a quarter inch reading difference is nothing to consider, compared to the relatively long distance between the add and max dots, but the rational side of my mind is challenged! And I still didn`t find a confirmed explanation of the huge difference between oil level on both side of the dipstick blade?
The higher-on-one-side is from the tube - as noted.

The RAISED level from a quick run, probably comes from an oil return line near where the dipstick goes into. Oil when cold is thick; and when it's flowing as a viscous ooze back in, it won't level out immediately, perhaps.

The stick is approximate. Years ago American cars had sloppily-inserted dipstick tubes that could give wildly inaccurate readings. Japanese cars today probably don't have a similar issue; but you're not going to get an exact measurement - you're going to find out if you have ABOUT enough in the crankcase to be safe in running it.

Keep that in mind when it's near the ADD level. It may be an overgenerous reading. With today's screw-top oil bottles...I'd pour in a half a quart when it's halfway down; not let it get all the way to or below the ADD point.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
jack black

Wait, are you all saying the OEM yaris dipstick should be metal?

Mine is yellow plastic like this:

Could someone help me out and measure the length between full mark and spot at the top of the dipstick tube in the OEM dipstick?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

The dipstick is plastic in all 1NZ engines. I replaced mine with one from a 1ZZ engine because it's metal. I just had to re-mark the full line higher. I hated the plastic one.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
jack black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
The dipstick is plastic in all 1NZ engines. I replaced mine with one from a 1ZZ engine because it's metal. I just had to re-mark the full line higher. I hated the plastic one.
Thanks! I thought for a moment that previous owner put an aftermarket one in.
This is my first plastic one and it's very easy to read.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
What's the difference between the two engines (I know, I could look it up)

As far as I remember, on the US spec Yaris, there wasn't an engine option.

And yes, mine has a tin dipstick.

I'm trying to remember which car I had that had a plastic dipstick on it...it WAS easy to read, as noted. I don't have a problem with it - the dipstick is just a stick going into the oil sump. Plastic saves money and thus, hopefully, helps keep the purchase price down.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:19 AM   #10
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
^ the 1ZZ is not a Yaris engine.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 AM   #11
jb48
jb48

My 2008 Yaris HB automatic is a Canadian model. On my car the dipstick is all metal, except for the plastic yellow handle. But since I bought it used, I don`t know if the dipstick is OEM or one that was replaced by previous owner.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
Quote:
The dip stick on my 2012 with the 1NZ is metal.

Getting a good read of the oil level is not easy.
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

They must have changed it at some point. Mine turned brown on the end and I found it impossible to read the oil level.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #14
Cobequid801

Drives: Orange Yaris
Just bought an 07 hatchback and it has the plastic dipstick I find it hard to read

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cobequid801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #15
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
The dipstick in my Yaris is metal, and yes it is tougher to read/gauge than the metal dipstick that was in my 2000 Accord.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:28 AM   #16
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
They must have changed it at some point. Mine turned brown on the end and I found it impossible to read the oil level.
When the one on my yaris and wifes Camry turned brown I just cleaned them with scotchbrite and gasoline.

You definitely don't want to be checking the metal dipstick in bright sunlite. Wait for a cloudy day. Also, newly changed oil is much harder to see than 2000 mile old oil. But when draining all the oil and refilling with 3.7 quarts and changing the oil filter, its not necessary to absolutely check the oil with the dipstick. My 09 came with an overfilled oil sump as read on the dipstick. I thought "Toyota isn't going to overfill the sump at the factory." WRONG. More than four quarts came out when I changed the oil at 600 miles and the oil pressure sender blew at 28000.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:15 PM   #17
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
My 2013 Base 'L' has a metal dipstick - I always check it after the car has been sitting overnight. Works fine, lighting has to be just right and it is clearly visible.
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote